WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread

• @regularkid said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

Hey guys, we’re close to releasing a small update to the map to address some minor clerical issues (spelling errors in game notes, a more aesthetic placement of the sz 20 kamakaze marker, etc.)

One issue we would like to address in this update, based on play-testing and player feedback, is the question of carrier capabilities vs. unit cost.

The first change we are considering is to reduce carrier defense from 2 to 1. This would place the focus on the carrier’s capability as a floating airbase rather than as a combat unit unto itself.

The second change would be to forbid carrier scramble to empty sea zones (similar to the rule against land scramble to empty territories). This change would allow easier capture of islands/territories from sea zones that are not defended by ships.

The overall aim of these changes is to bring carrier capabilities more in line with their cost.

We welcome your feedback to these proposals.

carrier.jpg )

I have only played one game of PTV, but I’d say the second option would be better. It makes the rule at sea, the same as on land, and is a bigger nerf to an OP unit. Defense dropping from 2 to 1 would be barely noticeable, IMO. The carrier scramble is a fun rule, but it took one of the strongest units in the game, and made it much stronger. Thus, I think the bigger adjustment is called for.

• Good changes.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I would suggest a further restriction on CV scramble. The sea zone to be protected must have a combat ship and not just a transport. Celebes used to be a black hole in the DEI to retake. To go there, you were isolated and gave up control of much of the surrounding space.
    Now you can park there and send transports to take the other islands, and defend everybody on 3 of 4 money islands + Philippines. Eventually, the Allies can build forces to push on the Japanese, but early game there’s not even the opportunity to trade territory. But 3-4 rounds of the Japanese = 70+ IPC is a very tough hill to climb.

• @surfer yup agreed. It will require a combat ship.

• Then with land-scramble an aa won’t do the trick?

• Can we get an official map picture showing all these changes, I think i may want to make a custom map for this-

• '20 '16

@trulpen said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

Then with land-scramble an aa won’t do the trick?

AAA is a combat unit, so it would work.

• @CaptainNapalm said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@trulpen said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

Then with land-scramble an aa won’t do the trick?

AAA is a combat unit, so it would work.

It’s about as much a combat-unit as a trannie. It doesn’t have an attack value and a special defence value.

• @Imperious-Leader said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

Can we get an official map picture showing all these changes, I think i may want to make a custom map for this-

Not sure what you mean. This map is on TripleA.

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

Question about revised carrier rules as presented in Triple A notes:

Last sentence says “Otherwise, the planes may land in any adjacent territory”.

This should include open, undamaged aircraft carriers within 1 movement point away (adjacent sea zones), too, right?

I know this is fairly nitpicky, but I can see this potentially being a problem between players in the middle of a game, thanks.

• Should be, in accordance with the rules.

• '19 '17

@gamerman01 said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

Question about revised carrier rules as presented in Triple A notes:

Last sentence says “Otherwise, the planes may land in any adjacent territory”.

This should include open, undamaged aircraft carriers within 1 movement point away (adjacent sea zones), too, right?

I know this is fairly nitpicky, but I can see this potentially being a problem between players in the middle of a game, thanks.

Yeah that wording was changed in later versions, you can land in any viable landing spot with your 1 movement after the battle if your original carrier/territory is no longer a viable landing spot.

• Probably a known issue, but I was trying my first move on PTV (I hope this is the right place to post a technical issue) and Triple A wouldn’t let the plane on Korea go 1 space to Zone 20. To attack Hong Kong I had to use edit mode.

Thanks

• '19 '17

@gamerman01 There was a map change, you’re still looking at the old map overlay while the code (saved game) was started on the new version of the map. Korea is fully enclosed in sz7 in the new version, hence why it takes 2 moves to get to sz20. You need to delete the existing PTV map and then install it again.

• Thank you very much, it helps that you were so fast

• '19 '17 '16

@Adam514 said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@gamerman01 There was a map change, you’re still looking at the old map overlay while the code (saved game) was started on the new version of the map. Korea is fully enclosed in sz7 in the new version, hence why it takes 2 moves to get to sz20. You need to delete the existing PTV map and then install it again.

If you can get the developers to move on the map version, users will be prompted to do this. Not sure who is your resident “git” expert.

• @simon33 the version numbers have changed in the YAML every time we’ve issue a major update.

You can use the “update” option (rather than manually deleting and reinstalling the map) by simply clicking “DOWNLOAD MAPS,” then “GOOD QUALITY” and then selecting “UPDATES” and it will give you the opportunity to download the most recent version.

• '20 '16

Japan just conquered the Siberia, and the factory was not destroyed. Is this a game issue, new map(which I think I have), or Triple A 2.0(which I don’t have)?

• '19 '17

@CaptainNapalm It was a bug, fixed in future iterations of the map.

• After having played 1½ games of P2V I’d like to say that I really like the feel of game-play regarding both Russia and China, and more specifically the german and japanese conquest thereof. You guys have done a very good job!

In OOB it is just a simple max throttle towards Moscow getting that train into motion for a secure capital take-down á la Crushia. After having done it 2-3 times it becomes rather boring. Like an overly prolonged opening. Japan can go for a J1DOW which spices things up, but otherwise has not much more to do than getting into position and send punches on China.

In BM3 play is much richer and heading more towards the long-term economic game. I like it, but still view Russia and China as a ather single-minded approach with pretty much similarity to OOB. Of course with some apparent differences, like that an early sack of Moscow is not easy to execute at all.

With P2V I get a much more a sensation of strategic goals and gains. In Russia there are now actually atleast two pretty divided fronts. Russia is super-strong, but also has to handle heavy pushing from several directions.

Think I read something that @AndrewAAGamer wrote before commencing his first game in P2V recently, namely that he’d plan to focus on the Atlantic instead of pushing against Russia because he wouldn’t be able to take the capital swiftly. It’s true, but also only half the truth.

I think it’s still very viable to make that Barbarossa-endeavour, but it will just look a bit different in P2V. Mechs are rather expensive all of a sudden, so much more bulk of the army has to be inf and art. Progress is slower, but still strong if patient.

I really like it when Germany pushes strongly both north and south. They have to make a lot of choices. Something that however also applies to Russia. In the previous maps it was a rather just simple recipe of first hold Bryansk, then hold Moscow. Of course with a lot of skirmishes in between, but still. Should be so much more fun to play a Russia like this!

The same goes for China. It’s stronger in P2V and thus has the potential of playing a more important role. Not that it was truly insignificant in previous versions, like the French, but still more limited.

In P2V Japan has to choose more strongly whether to unleash towards China or UK-Pac. The latter is likely prefered, but yet, the northern territories are more easily contested in the early game and does carry with them some lucrative bounty. Also, if unchecked the chinese will be, as usual, a severe pain in the ass!

So, towards the middle-ground and maybe some constructive feedback. I experience that the simplification of the Russian-Mongolian Pact is not making the game better. As it stand there’s no real biggie with provocation there.

Japan could happily make a sweep towards Sibiria already J1 if they were not more importantly occupied elsewhere. The 8 inf is a deterrent, but the Land Lease NO in BM3 makes Japan to really think twice when or if they should DOW on Russia. Without it Russia also has almost no incentive at all to hold back on a DOW and intrusion.

Maybe it’s for the better. I’m not sure. I believe it does make early DOW in the north pretty much standard with Russia as the common aggressor, while especially in BM3 it wasn’t certain. For me, I like the trickier decisions and strategic tension better.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m