Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies (By AndrewAAGamer)

• @AndrewAAGamer Good to know. I’ve watched a lot of General Hand Grenade videos, and he seemed to picket a lot. I’ve played allies in my group (only 3-4 of us) the last 3 games, and Russia has been steamrolled 2/3. My “blocking” probably had a lot to do with that I’d imagine.
    What makes Bryansk a better hold point? I’m new to the game this summer, and I absolutely love it. I find these kinds of guides so helpful! Thanks

• @AndrewAAGamer This is hilarious given the current bids I have been playing due to lack of knowledge. On a 34 bid, I’ve done 2 artillery and 2 fighters for the Russians, and a sub for Britain in the med to help with Taranto. Taranto has become a sure thing basically unless Germany hard threatens sealion, but Russia still can’t seem to hold more than 9 turns except in one fluke game where my opponent left 13 infantry and an artillery alone for me to pick off with my main stack.

• @AndrewAAGamer Would you ever consider using an infantry to block a potential blitz? That would mean Germany would not be using artillery or regular infantry for the attack, which may not be a good idea on their part. I guess it would depend on the situation.

• @J-o-C said in Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies (By AndrewAAGamer):

Would you ever consider using an infantry to block a potential blitz? That would mean Germany would not be using artillery or regular infantry for the attack, which may not be a good idea on their part. I guess it would depend on the situation.

Good question and yes it depends. As I said in my article…

@AndrewAAGamer said in Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies (By AndrewAAGamer):

to lose a unit for any purpose outside of that big battle is a waste of the unit unless it takes more units with it than it loses, or has extraordinary ramifications, such as protecting a vital monetary area, or slowing down the route of march.

So not to be wishy washy but it depends. What does the blitz of the armor gain versus the loss of the armor on the counter attack? What is the loss of the infantry versus the gain of stopping the blitz? It is situational so without an example I cannot answer the question except to say sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it does not.

• @Saber25 said in Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies (By AndrewAAGamer):

What makes Bryansk a better hold point?

Bryansk is the point where the original German advance forces and fast moving reinforcements are at their limits to get to Moscow in comparison to the Russians who have been building infantry waiting for them to arrive. It takes some Allied fighters to tilt the battle to the Allies favor to hold for a little bit. Even one Turn is helpful though.

• @AndrewAAGamer Thanks for the reply.

• '21 '20

@AndrewAAGamer could cruisers be worth a little more than 11, maybe 11.5 due to their ability to move marines in BM 3?

• @WindowWasher said in Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies (By AndrewAAGamer):

@AndrewAAGamer could cruisers be worth a little more than 11, maybe 11.5 due to their ability to move marines in BM 3?

My article ONLY applies to OOB. It does not include BM3 and is probably not relevant in many aspects except the general warfare principles which are true for any game.

• 2007 AAR League

Axis and Allies is like two player Risk, and it has nothing to do with multi-player risk where you want to avoid fighting as much as possible.

• 2007 AAR League

This is generally a nice writeup!

For new players, I’d say the dice simulators are your friends and would totally disagree with this:
    “SIDEBAR: Battle Dice are not your friend!”
    It’s only as a more advanced player that you need to worry about this. Otherwise if you maximize your TUV everywhere, you ought to do well.

Under strafing, a similar move is to attack at 50/50 odds when you have a good place to retreat in the hope that the first round will go in your favor allowing you to press the advantage. Especially useful for battles with a small number of valuable naval units (assuming you can retreat to a safe spot). Though not a beginner move. So long as your one round strafe simulation looks ok, the attacker often has an advantage when attacking at 50/50. This is less true in land battles that are 50/50 where the attacker is typically losing more units on the first round that the defender is (infantry that attack at 1 and defend at 2).

Interesting estimations on unit value. We could put this to a test with logistic regression models =)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@akreider2 said in Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies (By AndrewAAGamer):

Axis and Allies is like two player Risk, and it has nothing to do with multi-player risk where you want to avoid fighting as much as possible.

I agree. Which why I said “If you have ever played Risk the board game 1v1

• 2007 AAR League

Oops I’m skimming.

It’s interesting that the old transport (with defense of 1 and 1 usable HP) would be worth an additional $4.5 under these pricing scheme. I used to love mass transports in Revised.

• @akreider2 said in Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies (By AndrewAAGamer):

For new players, I’d say the dice simulators are your friends and would totally disagree with this:
    “SIDEBAR: Battle Dice are not your friend!”
    It’s only as a more advanced player that you need to worry about this.

I am not sure what you are referring to? When I say Battle Dice it has nothing to do with a simulator and everything with actual rolling of dice. Dice are not your friend. You should not trust them and always assume they will stab you in the back. That is why you always want overwhelming odds.

Otherwise if you maximize your TUV everywhere, you ought to do well.

Interesting concept. While not playing that way I would probably agree in general that playing that way would result in more wins than losses. Though there would certainly be battles while the TUV may be in your favor you still would not want to do for overall strategic purposes.

• 2007 AAR League

I’d never assume dice to be anything more than natural variance with pure neutrality. Neither friend nor foe. Now I agree that you should be prepared for outliers, sometimes which matter at lot more than others.

Under strafing, a similar move is to attack at 50/50 odds when you have a good place to retreat in the hope that the first round will go in your favor allowing you to press the advantage. Especially useful for battles with a small number of valuable naval units (assuming you can retreat to a safe spot). Though not a beginner move. So long as your one round strafe simulation looks ok, the attacker often has an advantage when attacking at 50/50. This is less true in land battles that are 50/50 where the attacker is typically losing more units on the first round that the defender is (infantry that attack at 1 and defend at 2).

Another interesting concept. The attacker does have the advantage of rolling the dice and if things go wrong then retreating where the defender does not have that capability. To be successful that does assume that the dice will go your way; thus that tactic is playing the odds. The entire point of my article was to remove odds from the game as much as possible and base it on fundamental principles that will help any player win more than they lose.

• 2007 AAR League

Here we might have another different view point. For me, if you have the choice between a battle with 51% win rate and positive TUV (even +1) vs doing nothing, so long as it doesn’t have a negative impact on your position - you take the battle.

You take all battles with positive expected outcome. And of course you’d favor the 52% win battle with 0.1 more TUV over the 51% one.

Unlike some/most gambling (I gamble on politics at PredictIt), there aren’t any “house” fees - so the tiniest imaginable edge is useful.

Unless you expect to beat your opponent by a large margin, in which case taking fights that are only slightly favorable to you might be detrimental.

The critical fact about attacking with 50/50 odds, is that with strategic withdrawal the battle simulators might be under-estimating your TUV gain (it’d be interesting if someone were to write a calculator that would handle that!). Admitedly this is a rare situation and you are much better off attacking at 95%+ win odds most of the time.

• @akreider2 TUV isnt the best way (although the easiest) to measure this imo. Two infantry to russia are worth way more than one tank is to germany (4 defence and two HP vs 3 attack) even though they are the same TUV.

If you want to be taking 50/50, 51/49, 52/48 battles, you’ve got to be gaining more than just TUV. Also for certain countries, TUV isn’t as important as strategic gain. Italy will take negative battles to can open for Germany to get positive ones. Say there is an air battle where there are 3 attacking British fighters and 3 defending Italian tac-bombers (imagine they cost 10) and the TUV change for the British was 0, they’re still in the advantage because the Italians don’t have the same capability to replace those units once they’re lost.

In conclusion, I don’t think there really is a better way to judge a battle’s worth than simply taking a look at the battle calculator, the units involved, and what will happen afterwards, and deciding for yourself whether or not it is something that is worth doing and, I don’t believe that some formula or calculation can circumvent that unless it is some super complicated and experienced AI.

• @AndrewAAGamer

It seems you have made a logical fallacy in the way you phrase this. A person might attack the Anzac vessels not because it is necessary for victory, but rather because it is advantageous. Risk, reward tips in your favor. Nothing more. In poker one would raise I think.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Hi @crockett36. Thank you for the comment. I assume you are referring to this section of my article.

Risky Attacks: I see plenty of people do risky attacks to gain an advantage. One example is the J1 attack on the ANZAC SZ62 fleet. The goal is to kill the ANZAC destroyer and transport and thus remove the capability of ANZAC to take Dutch New Guinea on A1. Let’s look at that battle:
    • 40% of the time the Japanese destroyer dies. (-8)
    • 40% of the time the ANZAC destroyer and transport dies (+15)
    • 20% of the time both the ANZAC Destroyer and Japanese destroyer die (0)
    • 13% of the time the Japanese destroyer kills the cruiser on the counter attack (+12)
    • Total Average TUV = $4.3

So that looks like a pretty good battle. On average for an $8 investment I can get a $4.3 return. Dang good! So, the battle makes sense to conduct. Right? Maybe; it depends. The real question is do you need to win that battle to win the game? Are you the weaker Player, the stronger Player or are you both the same caliber of Player? If you are the weaker Player you may need to take more risks than your opponent. But if you are not then why make the attack? Let’s look at the battle from a different perspective. If you need to kill the transport to win the game than you have already lost the game 60% of the time. And if you can win without killing the transport why risk your overall game 40% of the time when you get nothing out of the attack? What we want to achieve is consistent winning. Not winning only when we get lucky dice; but due to our good play.

As I mentioned many people will do a Risky Attack to gain an advantage. One normally wants to gain an advantage so they can win. :)

If you perform a risky attack to gain an advantage are you not trying to improve your chances of winning? If the risk fails than have you not reduced your chances of victory because not only did you not gain an advantage you created a disadvantage for yourself?

The whole overall theme of my article was to try and teach a Player to be better so they do not have to rely on the dice. In fact, alleviate the dice as much as possible because dice are random. While trying to gain an advantage by making what is a reasonable risky attack on AVERAGE you will increase your odds of winning. However you will also harm your chances of winning when the dice are not average. If your style of play requires making good risky attacks than you are limiting your total possible winning percentage.

Let’s look at this another way. Let’s say we use a strategy that requires average dice to win. That means I will win my games 66.6% of the time. Good dice of 33.3% plus Average dice of 33.3% = 66.6%. I am only losing when I get Bad dice of 33.3% of the time. Now a Player may be happy to win 66.6% of the time but what I want to do is to win 75% or more of my games againsts good players. And to do that you need to remove dice from the game as much as possible.

So if you need to make reasonable risky attacks to win then do so. I am not saying they are bad I am saying only make them if you need them to win. If you do not need them to win then don’t do them and risk losing. Why take risks you do not need to?

I remember one face to face game where I was Germany and I had a 98% chance of taking Moscow, to essentially win the game. My partner asked me if I was going to make the attack and I said “No. Why should I? Next Turn I will have a 99% chance and there is nothing that will change on the board forcing me to make the attack now.” I did not need to take that 2% risk so why do it? In another face to face game I only had a 48% chance to take Moscow and end the game. I was not planning on taking it. However, my Partner suffered an excruciating loss of the IJN on his Turn and suddenly we had no choice. It was either attack now at 48% or next Turn it would only be worse odds and things would go downhill for us all over the board. So I made the attack at 48% because I had to; it was a reasonable risk. BTW I won. :) Geez that pissed off our opponents.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m