Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• This will hopefully be a fruitful and gratifying experience. Thank you, @AndrewAAGamer, for the opportunity!

I’ll contemplate the bid placements.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Thanks for setting up the thread and volunteering your time to be the “evil training opponent”. So I am still wondering how best to do this Tutor game. We definitely want to have a big gap between Turns so others who are interested have time to chime in. I am wondering if I should provide comments before any given Turn or after? I am thinking waiting to the end of the game for an overall critique is not useful since that would require everyone to go back and see what the heck I was talking about.

My initial thoughts are one of these three ways to proceed:
    Option #1: (Advice After)

• Let everyone chime in and discuss what the chosen move should be
    • trulpen chooses one of those options and takes the Turn
    • I provide my comments/critique of the move chosen
    • I provide the move I would have made and why (May be the same one chosen)
      Option #2: (Advice Before)
    • I provide the pros and cons of each of them or at least the top 3-4 suggested options
    • I provide the move I would have made and why (May be the same one chosen)
      Option #3: (Playing Myself)
    • I provide the pros and cons of each of the suggested options
    • I provide the move I would make and why

Option 1 provides a more realistic “World versus Andrew” game feeling. Since I am not providing any input until after the choice is made the game is actually more competitive from a me vs you perspective and learning is done after the moves are made which is still valuable; maybe more so. If I lose this gives the winners a real sense of victory since they figured it out themselves learning as they go. I think this might be the best choice to garner the most interest from others and frankly would be the most fun for me. Since we plan on doing more of these in the future the World should get better over time.

Option 2 is more a learning game than Option 1. Since I am helping the “World” before any choices are made any ultimate victory would not have the same competitive appeal as doing it on their own. However hearing the pros and cons of each move up front and then being able to debate that amongst themselves makes it more of an immediate learning game than option 1 and over the entire game should make that individual game closer.

Option 3 is basically almost playing myself so I only mention it as a “Here is how I would do it” scenario though I think that would be more boring for everyone. I am willing to do it that way if that is what the majority of people want to do.

Personally I like Option 1 the best followed by Option 2.

• I prefer option 1 and believe that’s the most rewarding choice.

• A few more items:

• As I mentioned in our chat I am going to post some Principles of Axis and Allies Advice hopefully over the 3 day weekend. That should help the “World” so we should wait to begin after that.
    • We need to figure out how to promote this game so others who might be interested can join in.
    • Since the World is playing this game you should get options for the bid placement from them before we begin.
  • 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Okay good. We both like Option 1 the best so lets do that one!

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

A few more items:

• As I mentioned in our chat I am going to post some Principles of Axis and Allies Advice hopefully over the 3 day weekend. That should help the “World” so we should wait to begin after that.
    • We need to figure out how to promote this game so others who might be interested can join in.
    • Since the World is playing this game you should get options for the bid placement from them before we begin.

Sounds great!

Maybe put out some notices here and there?

• @trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Maybe put out some notices here and there?

That is my idea but being new I am not sure where to place them. I would not want to break any protocol. I am also wondering where I should post my Principles of Axis and Allies Advice.

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

That is my idea but being new I am not sure where to place them. I would not want to break any protocol. I am also wondering where I should post my Principles of Axis and Allies Advice.

I would post your Principles article in the A&A Global 1940 forum and then post a link to those principles here.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I would post your Principles article in the A&A Global 1940 forum and then post a link to those principles here.

Thanks for the advice! @Midnight_Reaper

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

for a 50 bid. I would take:

British
    Scotland: 1 fighter
    Sz 110, 91 and 98: 1 sub each
    sz 71: 1 transport
    Egypt: 1 infantry

China
    Yunnan: 1 inf

Anzac
    sz 62: 1 sub
    New Guinea: 1 inf

The China and sz 62 bid is to discourage a J1 attack. J1 attack is extremely powerful when playing OOB version

• @oysteilo said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

British

China

Anzac

The China and sz 62 bid is to discourage a J1 attack. J1 attack is extremely powerful when playing OOB version

That’s a great bid. Suspect however that the inf in NG will not be accepted.

• @trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@oysteilo said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

British

China

Anzac

all right, then an inf in alexandria or so.

Some might think 3 subs are too much. I think it is a strong bid, because in sz 110 you can choose to have the sub fight or not, combined with a possible 3 fighter scramble and a scotland scramble it becomes “impossible” for Germany to kill both 110 and 111

But most likely the sub in 110 is not going to fight. Now, you are in great shape if you want to do taranto raid, but if you want to stack 92 you also put great pressure on Italy with your 3 subs and everything else you might put there. So the sub bid is both defensive (110 and 91) but also highly offensive!

Suspect however that the inf in NG will not be accepted.

Since it was not discussed and the default rules do not allow it you are correct. If you want to make it a $45 bid instead of $50 than I will allow it.

• @oysteilo said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@oysteilo said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

British

China

Anzac

all right, then an inf in alexandria or so.

Some might think 3 subs are too much. I think it is a strong bid, because in sz 110 you can choose to have the sub fight or not, combined with a possible 3 fighter scramble and a scotland scramble it becomes “impossible” for Germany to kill both 110 and 111

But most likely the sub in 110 is not going to fight. Now, you are in great shape if you want to do taranto raid, but if you want to stack 92 you also put great pressure on Italy with your 3 subs and everything else you might put there. So the sub bid is both defensive (110 and 91) but also highly offensive!

I agree. Anyone else might however put in the 2 IPC as well. :)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I just think it is important to discuss why you suggest what bid where and discuss it a little bit if this is going to be a tutor game!

I just think it is important to discuss why you suggest what bid where and discuss it a little bit if this is going to be a tutor game!

Definitely! I highly appreciate your input. I just gave that comment since your suggestion was high quality solid.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Agreed! We want as many people who are interested in being the World to comment on the Bid. Once the Bid is agreed on then I will comment on it. Nothing from me now though. :)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I like Oysteilo’s choices except I would hesitate on the sub in 110, the inf in Yunnan, and the transport in 71.

Yunnan increases the chances for a Yunnan disaster for Japan, but Japan is almost always going to go for it and the most likely outcome is just China losing one more inf.

The transport is probably only useful if you are fairly sure you are going to hit the Italians first in Ethiopia. But I think they often have other priorities that would demand the other units needed.I suppose it can go to Persia to allow the India transport to go to the islands, but I think the islands are often a mistake on UK1.

The sub in 110 is useful because the naval base gives it range but it doesn’t add much to the defense since the German attack there is mostly air and because that is the one spot the Germans are definitely going to hit. 106 may be more useful for defense since it likely blocks that attack or forces the Germans to send 3 subs (in which case the sub can submerge and join the counter)

UK Europe is almost always the best bet for the bulk of the bid since that is the one ally that is certain to be at war in round 1, (so I agree with Oysteilo’s emphasis on that) but I might still consider adding to the pacific. More UK inf in the pacific, or a second ANZAC sub, or Art for China.

Also, the sub in 91 is for me a must, as it discourages an attack on that cruiser (which is an option for Germany if they ignore 111 or 106) and it threatens everywhere the German navy ends up plus the Italian destroyer in 96.

But I haven’t really played much OOB for a while (and never had a chance to play with a 50 bid) so I might be misjudging and identifying things that are more appropriate for BM.

• Thank you for your input, @farmboy! It adds some nuiscances to the choice.

I think I will wait a while before putting together my thoughts and suggestion of a bid. Then wait a bit more for critique, to finally settle it with a decision and then Andrew may comment.

• '22 '16

@trulpen
    British
    Scotland: 1 fighter – I would definitely do this
    Sz 110, 91 and 98: 1 sub each --I would maybe add a sub or dd to 106 instead of 110
    sz 71: 1 transport --Could be useful depending on what UK wants to do UK1
    Egypt: 1 infantry --I would only do ground troops a mech or tank here if you were committing to Tobruk UK1 and then you would want to add in Alexandria as well

China
    Yunnan: 1 inf --Seems like it would make it tougher for Japan but in the end you probably lose the inf anyway.

Anzac
    sz 62: 1 sub --Interesting to help thwart a J1 could be useful.
    New Guinea: 1 inf-- I don’t allow this bid placement due to the league rules. Plus it is attached to NO and doesn’t seem very fair.

I agree that most of the bid should go to the UK on the Europe side. It has the most impact there and can change the landscape of a mostly scripted G1. Anything to help throw off G1.
    The thought should be to get the most bang for your buck. That means being able to use the units when it comes your turn. So keep the bid units safe, maybe 106 is the exception. I have been messing around with a fighter or tac in malta and a strat in egypt. Assuming Tarnato is on the table UK1. It may help keep London with fighters for a possible sea lion and still be able to overcome the possible scramble in 97. Plus you don’t have to leave the carrier in 97 to get cleaned up by the Luftwaffe. Just my thoughts. This seems like a really cool and refreshing idea. Hope it goes well. Can’t wait to follow along!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m