Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• Thinking of bringing the art from Cairo to Persia. The tr from Calcutta can go empty to z72.

• @trulpen guess you aren’t a fan of the FIC strafe.

You might need the SZ98 transport to ferry soldiers to Egypt. Check the battle calc.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I’ve missed a lot of the comments preceding but I think it is a mistake to put the China air in Burma. That maybe too late and I suppose the hope would be to protect it with UK land. But I still think it is not a good risk to take.

I probably would have done the airbase build because it puts the UK in a position to go either way and the airbase supports the move of air into the Middle East. And the fleet loses mobility if it retreats to 81. I might consider a 109 fleet build since that might be more dangerous for the axis to trade air against and speeds up the joining of the units in 111. But agree with ABH’s concern on that too.

I would only do Tobruk if you are fairly certain that Egypt will be quite safe. I assume the air is landing there now. But 4 land units, bombardment and a bomber might still pose a risk. The extra units you have bid for there + the stacking at 92 + the transport and units in Persia could protect Egypt for another turn if Tobruk produces more risk now.

The 96 attack looks risky. You want to make sure that transport gets hit I think and so I think you need one more air.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen guess you aren’t a fan of the FIC strafe.

You might need the SZ98 transport to ferry soldiers to Egypt. Check the battle calc.

It’s simply too risky. The short-term benifit of further dissuading a japanese all-out air-strike on Yunnan is countered by the long-term disadvantage of losing air. I believe the latter is heavier in this instance.

Do you mean from Tobruk? Yes, that’s a good purpose, but shouldn’t Cairo be rather safe with 3 inf, 1 fig and 1 tac? Italy can’t reach with more than 2 inf, 2 art this turn, right?

• Often I move the Malta forces to Egypt on UK1. While Cairo is safe this round, a combined German+Italian strikes might take it down in another couple of turns. That extra inf+AA makes a big difference.

What are your plans for the Malaysian units? If they move up to Shan State, they will get killed by the FIC forces + planes. If they stay in Malaysia, they will get killed on J3. That is why I am a fan of strafing the FIC forces to protect the Malaysian units. Those three ground units are so helpful in extending the life of India.

• @farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I’ve missed a lot of the comments preceding but I think it is a mistake to put the China air in Burma. That maybe too late and I suppose the hope would be to protect it with UK land. But I still think it is not a good risk to take.

I probably would have done the airbase build because it puts the UK in a position to go either way and the airbase supports the move of air into the Middle East. And the fleet loses mobility if it retreats to 81. I might consider a 109 fleet build since that might be more dangerous for the axis to trade air against and speeds up the joining of the units in 111. But agree with ABH’s concern on that too.

I would only do Tobruk if you are fairly certain that Egypt will be quite safe. I assume the air is landing there now. But 4 land units, bombardment and a bomber might still pose a risk. The extra units you have bid for there + the stacking at 92 + the transport and units in Persia could protect Egypt for another turn if Tobruk produces more risk now.

The 96 attack looks risky. You want to make sure that transport gets hit I think and so I think you need one more air.

The idea is to block z37 with a des.

I think the z98-fleet will gain mobility towards the east, if need be. Japan did a DOW1. Needs to be countered efficiently.

Not stacking in z92 means the ab would be a liability. I like the mIC better here. Being able to build 3 inf next turn in this cornerstone of Egypt is pretty strong. Not to mention fleet eventually.

A sub and fig should suffice. Agreeably bit on the low side. We need the fig and tac for Tobruk. An alternative is to go in with either another sub, but that seems like a waste, or a sb, which we would like to allocate rather to z110 to make a clean strike.

• @trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen guess you aren’t a fan of the FIC strafe.

It’s simply too risky. The short-term benifit of further dissuading a japanese all-out air-strike on Yunnan is countered by the long-term disadvantage of losing air. I believe the latter is heavier in this instance.

Do you mean from Tobruk? Yes, that’s a good purpose, but shouldn’t Cairo be rather safe with 3 inf, 1 fig and 1 tac? Italy can’t reach with more than 2 inf, 2 art this turn, right?

They can reach with 2 inf, 1 armor, 1 art, and a bomber. And that assumes that lose in 96. That is likely but I’d want to be more certain.

• Sure thing. We need to maximize Tobruk. How solve it?

• @trulpen If you are very committed to going for it, I would still take another sub to 96. 110 can afford to lose one. If you didn’t go for it, I think he might be able to stack Alex with German support such that he couldn’t be dislodged. But I also don’t see him having much success taking Egypt as long as you kept the air in reach, brought the Malta units back and had the India transport take an inf to take Persia.And he would need that German air back in Europe after a turn or two. I haven’t calculated the risk of that, but I think it is likely the case.

• @farmboy Maybe pull down the bomber then for z96? I prefer not putting valuable fleet as sitting ducks. In z110 they can’t be attacked due to lack of des. The first strike is also rather nice.

• I’m talking gibberish. The bomber is used for z106.

Taking out those 2 subs is about tempo. I don’t want to have to chase them in some obscure spot in the Atlantic. And I certainly don’t want them to make it to home base.

• The only real alternative I see is to take another fig to z96, which then won’t attack Tobruk.

• @trulpen that is an option too, and it should work out, but then he has about 5% odds to win Tobruk. I think going for Tobruk and losing either 96 or Tobruk would be a disaster. Especially since you won’t have air around Gibraltar that can rescue it in an emergency.

• @farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen that is an option too, and it should work out, but then he has about 5% odds to win Tobruk. I think going for Tobruk and losing either 96 or Tobruk would be a disaster. Especially since you won’t have air around Gibraltar that can rescue it in an emergency.

Probably I wouldn’t hit Tobruk yet, but I play pretty conservatively

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Once the UK turn is done, curious if you compare the position to this one, which is an aggressive ally move, both done with and without Taranto.

In the Taranto scramble game, the German player is down to 11 planes.

Now let’s see what Italy can do.

It can take on the carrier + fighters with everything they have. It’s a toss up with negative IPC swing, leaves no land attack except for Southern France and Tunisia.

If they don’t take carriers / fighters, then they probably hit 96 (85% battle without bomber, lets the French boats escape the Med, not good.

So Italy attacks the French fleet, cannot attack Greece,

They cannot attack the 99 transport either.

So now let’s look at Germany’s commitments: 110 is possible if build carrier, but not great odds, potentially costly. London can be reinforced. That attack would leave Greece alone, 97 alone, 96 alone and 99 alone. There is no air support for Normandy/Holland. At least 4 units are needed for Normandy and 3 for Holland to avoid failing retaking them. That accounts for all the artillery and the mech Infantry which isn’t ideal. How can Germany go after the Soviet Union with 5 planes left, no navy, and Greece in UK hands (with Italy Crippled). Sea Lion may be possible but costly and dependent on outcome of 110 battle.

The wise move is to hit the 99 transport (must do, southern Italy tactical). There are 4 fighters, 4 tacs and 2 bombers left. Bombing raid on London can’t be done without ignoring 97. If want to both kill 97 and Greece, you send 3 airplanes to Greece + Tank + Infantry (+5 IPC 98% battle).

The remaining 3 fighters, 3 tacs and 1 bomber face the carrier and fighters, that’s a +20 IPC battle.

Now I haven’t touched the British cruiser in 96, or the American cruiser in 91. If I want to hit the British cruiser in 96 I send 2 bombers, which leaves only 5 planes for 97 (that becomes a 90% battle in this case)

Plane losses would be 0.5 plane in Greece, 0.5 plane in 96, 2.5 planes in 97. That takes the Luftwaffe down from 11 planes to 8 planes, which non only helps the Soviets but also reduces the potency of the Luftwaffe attack on 110.

With benefit of American reinforcements and this reduced strength, another landing can take place, and a second fleet can establish itself in 92. With taking Greece, Persia and Holland, UK income is a great 39 which can provide quite a bit of punch if Italy remains contained. Before you know it, Germany has its hands full here. Am I too optimistic here?

On Pacific side, I like how rare Japanese units are on Islands/near the continents. The US doesn’t have much fleet yet but we know the Japanese fleet will be in the money Island/near India for a while. Why bother build a large navy when you can link up Queensland and Malaya. Planes are more flexible and faster.

triplea_35254_jap1 - OmegaUKNoScramble.tsvg triplea_35254_jap1 - OmegaUK - With Taranto Scramble.tsvg

@farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen that is an option too, and it should work out, but then he has about 5% odds to win Tobruk. I think going for Tobruk and losing either 96 or Tobruk would be a disaster. Especially since you won’t have air around Gibraltar that can rescue it in an emergency.

Probably I wouldn’t hit Tobruk yet, but I play pretty conservatively

This might be a very good alternative. Secure the slaughter of z96. Hit Iraq perhaps as an alternative, with a prefered strafe.

• @Omega1759 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Once the UK turn is done, curious if you compare the position to this one, which is an aggressive ally move, both done with and without Taranto.

In the Taranto scramble game, the German player is down to 11 planes.

Now let’s see what Italy can do.

It can take on the carrier + fighters with everything they have. It’s a toss up with negative IPC swing, leaves no land attack except for Southern France and Tunisia.

If they don’t take carriers / fighters, then they probably hit 96 (85% battle without bomber, lets the French boats escape the Med, not good.

So Italy attacks the French fleet, cannot attack Greece,

They cannot attack the 99 transport either.

So now let’s look at Germany’s commitments: 110 is possible if build carrier, but not great odds, potentially costly. London can be reinforced. That attack would leave Greece alone, 97 alone, 96 alone and 99 alone. There is no air support for Normandy/Holland. At least 4 units are needed for Normandy and 3 for Holland to avoid failing retaking them. That accounts for all the artillery and the mech Infantry which isn’t ideal. How can Germany go after the Soviet Union with 5 planes left, no navy, and Greece in UK hands (with Italy Crippled). Sea Lion may be possible but costly and dependent on outcome of 110 battle.

The wise move is to hit the 99 transport (must do, southern Italy tactical). There are 4 fighters, 4 tacs and 2 bombers left. Bombing raid on London can’t be done without ignoring 97. If want to both kill 97 and Greece, you send 3 airplanes to Greece + Tank + Infantry (+5 IPC 98% battle).

The remaining 3 fighters, 3 tacs and 1 bomber face the carrier and fighters, that’s a +20 IPC battle.

Now I haven’t touched the British cruiser in 96, or the American cruiser in 91. If I want to hit the British cruiser in 96 I send 2 bombers, which leaves only 5 planes for 97 (that becomes a 90% battle in this case)

Plane losses would be 0.5 plane in Greece, 0.5 plane in 96, 2.5 planes in 97. That takes the Luftwaffe down from 11 planes to 8 planes, which non only helps the Soviets but also reduces the potency of the Luftwaffe attack on 110.

With benefit of American reinforcements and this reduced strength, another landing can take place, and a second fleet can establish itself in 92. With taking Greece, Persia and Holland, UK income is a great 39 which can provide quite a bit of punch if Italy remains contained. Before you know it, Germany has its hands full here. Am I too optimistic here?

On Pacific side, I like how rare Japanese units are on Islands/near the continents. The US doesn’t have much fleet yet but we know the Japanese fleet will be in the money Island/near India for a while. Why bother build a large navy when you can link up Queensland and Malaya. Planes are more flexible and faster.

triplea_35254_jap1 - OmegaUKNoScramble.tsvg triplea_35254_jap1 - OmegaUK - With Taranto Scramble.tsvg

I love your aggressive touch! I will mull over this a bit. True that G can’t hit all spots, but I actually don’t want to lose any units unnecessarily anywhere. G losing 1 plane for this is not enough. If we say 4-6 air, then we’re talking and it would be a no-brainer.

• @trulpen you might want to do a turn everyday. Otherwise the match will dragon on for half a year.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen you might want to do a turn everyday. Otherwise the match will dragon on for half a year.

While not 100% agreeing with Arthur I do agree with his sentiment. We need to take a Turn at least every 3 days at most; shooting more for every two days. I think that will assist in keeping people’s interest and still allowing enough time to gather the World’s input.

• I fully agree. For me, I find it a bit hard actually to find a balance. I usually to a move within the hour in my other games (not all though), and here I feel that I have others opinions to take into account as well. Don’t want to be disrespectful. If it’s too slow, it will eventually die.

I’ll try to execute UK tonight. So, any last thoughts? :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m