BM3 (Bombers cost 14) Adam514 (Axis) vs farmboy (Allies+10)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

also you can go straight to Japan from Germany. Soviet sub will just move back to 91.

• '19 '17

@farmboy I concede, good game and well played! This game was PTSD inducing haha.

There were a few moments that I felt you had moves that could close out the match much sooner, but I’ve long forgotten them by now. I’m pretty sure this was my longest match ever.

I’d be up for a rematch.

• '15 '14

Wow, David has defeated Goliath. Well played farmboy and congratz.
    This game was back and forth. First I thought Allies had it in the bag, then I though Axis escaped the jaw of defeat and was winning again.
    Then the situation was unclear. Then I thought Allies had it in the bag again, then I was unclear again and then it was over. What a rollercoaster.

I haven’t followed the early turns but it became apparent that dice were helping the Allies a lot to get in the dominant position they were after turn 10 or so.

I didn’t understand a few moves from the Allies. I e.g. found Allies quite spewy with their Egypt army when attacking NWP and Turkey so heavy, making it unnecessarily easy for Japan to take Egypt. In hindsight, I believe the Moscow “stunt” was ineffective and I did not understand the stunt at Northern territory when I believed the fleet would have been equally well placed in Queensland, too. At this time of the game, I believed that 30 IPCs “wasted” in bases could have made a difference if invested in boats and amphibious units.

Then, at the end I first thought Allies botched it because I would have started earlier to switch to fighters (or even tacs as an exception because I rarely buy them) because at this point, I believe all Allies had to do was buying 6 mech and 10 fighters each turn and not invest further into amphibious units. In this parallel universe, Allies may have always had enough to either seal Novo or deadzone it.

Also, I found it risky to allow the Germans to go to Belarus.
    @Adam514: Wasn’t it possible at this stage to try to take Bela with the Italians and protect the Army with air against the Russians, making the odds shaky on that battle?

However, it turned out, that Allied strategy was mostly on point and that the flexibility you kept, in the end, was a key to make it impossible for the Axis to hold all VCs (although I believe that less transports and more air would have done the job, too)

I was also wondering if there weren’t more effective ways to bring the Anzac fighters over to Europe very fast. They have like 7 movement when hopping on US Carriers. I thought there was potential to bring these over earlier.

@Adam514: As you decided to not play G/J anymore I definitely believed you missed the small chance to attack WGR with the Italians. You had 5% chance to win that battle and if the Germans could have closed the Danish straight, there was imo a shot to hold all VCs the next turn (Maybe not, because US could have airstriked but I believe it may have changed the dynamics.
    This was a nothing to lose shot and I am surprised you did not go for it after 37 turns of play.

• '15 '14

Re Belarus: Italians hat 38% on Belarus. In hindsight I guess it was worth a shot. But I realized that the Russians only had 73%. So this was most likely a battle you wanted the Allies to invite to hoping for a game-changing disaster.

• '19 '17

@JDOW said in BM3 (Bombers cost 14) Adam514 (Axis) vs farmboy (Allies+10):

Re Belarus: Italians hat 38% on Belarus. In hindsight I guess it was worth a shot. But I realized that the Russians only had 73%. So this was most likely a battle you wanted the Allies to invite to hoping for a game-changing disaster.

Yup that’s what Belarus was.

Even with Denmark closed the Allies could have traded a VC however long they wanted unfortunately.

• great game guys, one for the books for sure. farm boy’s allies are now a force to be reckoned with… no pressure hehe

• '15 '14

IC.

And what was the reasoning behind Norhern Italy? You could have protected these troops with Japanese planes. Wouldn’t the Axis have had a better chance without this army being slaughtered?

• '19 '17

@JDOW Yeah I was spread a bit thin, hoped for decent dice there.

• @Adam514 said in BM3 (Bombers cost 14) Adam514 (Axis) vs farmboy (Allies+10):

@farmboy I concede, good game and well played! This game was PTSD inducing haha.

There were a few moments that I felt you had moves that could close out the match much sooner, but I’ve long forgotten them by now. I’m pretty sure this was my longest match ever.

I’d be up for a rematch.

Thanks for the game! I’m glad I managed to pull that off, but dice definitely made a decisive difference as well. I don’t think I’ve ever had such consistently good dice (essentially over 37 rounds!) and I certainly have never had such good dice and still not be sure of the outcome.

And so far I think I do better in this game at denying my opponent’s victory than at setting up to win. Everything is now foggy for me as well, but if you do think of things that I could have done differently, I’d be interested.

One thing I recall thinking was that for a period of the mid/late game I was playing the pacific too conservatively. I was fairly convinced I was going to win in Europe and just thought I should avoid giving you any close to 50/50 attacks on my pacific fleet. I think I had some opportunities to take and hold Java. And I could have set up at Marianas earlier which I think was helpful to me when I did it. But I was too afraid that you would be nervous about Europe and you would gamble. In hindsight, I think I should have risked it.

We’ve actually had one longer game. The playoff game last year went to around 60 rounds although the sides were reversed, and I think you had effectively won it by the early 40s.

I’ll certainly be up for a rematch down the road but it will need to wait a bit. My wife is due to give birth in about a month so I need to avoid starting new games here until things settle down. These games tend to be all consuming and I don’t think i have the discipline or time management skills to do both. I also doubt my dice luck will continue although hopefully I can avoid some of the mistakes I did make.

@JDOW Thanks for the feedback!

I can’t quite recall, but I think the attacks on NWP and Turkey were meant as blockers to keep the German movements to 1 space. I overdid them as well but I was thinking that Adam might treat the gamble with the Italian units as relatively low cost at this point. But I can’t now remember why I thought that was necessary. And yes, if I could have blocked the Japanese out of Egypt (or at least traded for a bunch more of their air), that might have been better.

The airfield/Harbor build was to protect the US fleet and to give it range. I felt I needed to go there because of where the Japanese fleet was and to retake the islands. I expected Adam’s route to victory to come in the pacific at this point and that he would be able to drive the wedge between the Sydney and Honolulu. And I didn’t think he was too far away from being able to do so. I thought getting the guineas back and setting up next to Java delayed him from doing so. It also drew his fleet back to Java and gave me a chance to strafe his marines there. I thought this was setting him back a turn or two to give me more time to secure the win in Europe. Queensland wouldn’t have given me the same opportunity and I think he might have gone to Caroline Islands next had I done so.

I probably had more options around Novgorod. But I was afraid that in trying to hold it I would lose every other VC and then the combined German/Japan attack would be enough. It seemed better to me to set up so that he had to hold and defend them all.

There was probably room to bring the ANZAC air to Europe sooner. I was a little slow to realize how quick I needed to move to save the game in Europe. And I also worried too much that he might still turn that Japan fleet around after I had over committed the Pacific fleet to Europe.

On Belarus, I thought it was a good move to stay because Adam still had to worry about me moving to Poland. I thought that gave him less of a free hand in the rest of Europe. And the 73% seemed less of a risk since I set up so that I could retreat to Novgorod if the first round of dice was rough and had lots of US units that could have joined the stack there.

If he had taken W Germany back with the Italians I could have still attacked with the French. I overdid that blocker because I didn’t want to risk 2 French armor and a mech against 2 Italian inf, but likely he would have had no more than 1 inf there.

• '15 '14

@farmboy said in BM3 (Bombers cost 14) Adam514 (Axis) vs farmboy (Allies+10):

On Belarus, I thought it was a good move to stay because Adam still had to worry about me moving to Poland. I thought that gave him less of a free hand in the rest of Europe. And the 73% seemed less of a risk since I set up so that I could retreat to Novgorod if the first round of dice was rough and had lots of US units that could have joined the stack there.

You would have had the same threat on Poland via Baltic state thus to me it looked like a no brainer to move the Russians to Baltic.

Re WGR, lol, the Frenchies, true. Just not used to have them as a can opener with fast movers in Western Europe:D

• '15 '14

And in the end: Who wins, is right :)

Adam did a superb effort to make this a scrappy game, putting both of you on unknown ground, hoping you would lose the oversight and blunder, but you did not. Kudos for that, I can tell for sure that this was not easy!

• @JDOW awesome commentary. Yah, this was one for the ages. GG WP to both.

@JDOW said in BM3 (Bombers cost 14) Adam514 (Axis) vs farmboy (Allies+10):

@farmboy said in BM3 (Bombers cost 14) Adam514 (Axis) vs farmboy (Allies+10):

You would have had the same threat on Poland via Baltic state thus to me it looked like a no brainer to move the Russians to Baltic.

Re WGR, lol, the Frenchies, true. Just not used to have them as a can opener with fast movers in Western Europe:D

True. I looked at the board again and I think the reason I stayed in E Poland rather than Baltic was just because in E Poland I kept him from moving stacks into Romania and Slovakia. I was especially concerned about his tanks and mechs in Greece going to Romania and then joining with the inf and art coming from Bryansk in Belarus. I thought it was useful to keep the Soviets in between these German stacks for another turn and that that would help me hold Leningrad. But in hindsight it wasn’t necessary. He might have been able to get Leningrad then, but I’m sure I could have held France then as well.

• @axis-dominion said in BM3 (Bombers cost 14) Adam514 (Axis) vs farmboy (Allies+10):

great game guys, one for the books for sure. farm boy’s allies are now a force to be reckoned with… no pressure hehe

The games against you and Adam (and also observing some of the games with JDOW) have made a real difference in my play. I still did some overblocking and I wasted far too many transports, but on the whole think I’m doing a better job of being efficient and patient, conserving forces, and have a much better sense of what to prioritize on the board.

• @farmboy oh yah. I know all about overblocking. Adam has helped me to become a more efficient player, for sure. What I love about this game is, even after five years of play, I am always discovering and learning new things.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m