Long post about Japaneese Industrials

• germany receives about 25 IPC’s by only holding the european mainland. If this is all spend on infantry then it will take about 10 turns to defeat them. At that time Japan not only has reached Moscow but is also capturing the whole of africa as well and maybe alaska/canada/western us. The western allies will get seriously weakened by this and a major attack on germany will be made impossible.

• On 2001-12-11 13:58, greensleeves wrote:
    germany receives about 25 IPC’s by only holding the european mainland. If this is all spend on infantry then it will take about 10 turns to defeat them. At that time Japan not only has reached Moscow but is also capturing the whole of africa as well and maybe alaska/canada/western us. The western allies will get seriously weakened by this and a major attack on germany will be made impossible.

Perhaps against a very weak US and UK.

• only 10 turns holding out would be a very weak germany. Any good german player can get at least 9 infantry to africa, while holding eastern europe, before the allies can destroy the german’s transports.

9 infantry on africa + airforce is good to hold the allies off for quite some time.

Edit - let me add that axis are at a disadvantage, so you might wanna consider in all this a bid. but, as I said ontop, a good german player can survive till Japan can bring aid. This can include a south africa or brazillian factory, a switzerland factory (surprizingly potent) and a mainland invasion of russia. At the end of long games, it is the Japaneese most often that I see contesting africa.
    [ This Message was edited by: Yanny on 2001-12-11 17:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Yanny on 2001-12-11 17:40 ]

• On 2001-12-11 17:35, Yanny wrote:
    only 10 turns holding out would be a very weak germany. Any good german player can get at least 9 infantry to africa, while holding eastern europe, before the allies can destroy the german’s transports.

You obviously are not talking about facing an Allied force committed to pressuring Germany. There is no way Germany can afford to squander 9 infantry into Africa or to throw money into an IC in Switzerland or any of this if the Allies are played properly. Perhaps if the Allies are foolish enough to field a useless IC in Asia or commit valuable resources towards stalling Japan in the East -but certainly not against an all out Allied assault.

With an all out Allied assault on Germany, the best Germany can hope to do is keep retaking the Russian Northern complex in order to hold off a full Allied fortification of the crutial territory. But as soon as Germany rolls bad and fails to retake the Russian IC the territory becomes fortified with far too many US/UK fighters and will never get a second chance at it. And that force will soon be moving onto German soil and has the backing of three countries to defend it, so good luck to Germany with trying to retake it.

And once Germany loses its airforce or UK claims its sea space Germany is in serious trouble because the UK will be right on top of it with ground troops in addition to its many fighters -this changes its orientation from a primarily defensive force to a force also capable of serious offensive action.

Unless I am mistaking something, but I seriously doubt it. We are talking the original game without optional rules, aren’t we? Perhaps we can play it out some time. I would play the Allies and apply my strategy and you could show me how Germany would defend against it. I have never played on-line before though.

[ This Message was edited by: xenophobe on 2001-12-12 12:44 ]

• I am talking with using either Russia Restricted or a bid.

And Germany can easily get an addition 8 (+ 2 and 1 tank already there) infantry to africa. All you need to do is buy 1 transport your first turn and move any surviving subs (usually just the formly bay of biscay sub) to take hits. funneling 4 infantry per turn to africa.

• On 2001-12-12 13:02, Yanny wrote:
    I am talking with using either Russia Restricted or a bid.

And Germany can easily get an addition 8 (+ 2 and 1 tank already there) infantry to africa. All you need to do is buy 1 transport your first turn and move any surviving subs (usually just the formly bay of biscay sub) to take hits. funneling 4 infantry per turn to africa.

Well I might be interested in playing it out sometime with Russia restricted if you were interested.

• I guess not.

• I just played a game on the zone again. I played all allies and took germany down in only 4 turns =P. He was focusing on taking my IC in SA so his european defence was a bit weak. Soo on turn 3 i invaded France with 4 infantry, 1 tank, 1 fighter and a bomber with US and destroyed 2 INF, 2 tanks and 2 fighters there. I had no units left to take the territory but i saved my fighter and bomber. Then on Russia’s turn (turn 4) i invaded eastern europe and took down all his armor units and a fighter as well. Which left him with 3 INF in germany and 4 in Italy. Sooo he resigned :smile:

The Japanese player was taking south asia in the meantime but couldnt hurt me as well. He bought an industrial on turn 1 :wink:

• If Germany weakens European defense too much to concentrate on Africa too long -they’ll lose. Japan needed to hit Russia as well as South-Asia, the IC didn’t necessarily doom them. Sounds like you played them right.

• well it did for a part, it slowed his advance and building it in indo-china didnt hurt russia. I was able to get 30 IPC’s production for Russia and thereby powerful enough to defend all my lands while the americans and british were able to invade europe.

• Xeno, I’d love to play you on the zone, but for some reason I can’t launch any games on the zone lately. I even tried making a new zone name and that didnt work, I repatched and I recopied that directx file and nothing works. I may just reinstall the game and the zone and the patch. But, if I get it back up I’d love to play you.

And in response to the africa comment, if the germans can secure africa, the 40 or so IPC investment in conquering it is made up in a few turns.

• Germany securing Africa is great unless at the expense of European security. What good is it to visit the pyramids if your drinking vodka or tea in Berlin?

• I never said overcommit. I spend max 12$ on africa a turn.

• For how many turns? Can you force a stalemate with Russia and hold off US/Britian amphibious attacks as well?

• Usually I play defensive against russia till Japan can draw him away, then go all out offense, even taking the risk of an allied landing in Western Europe/Germany.

I find that if I play defensive vs russia, use a mid sized airforce to delay the US and UK, I can conquer africa and still hold eastern Europe solidly.

• On 2001-12-15 17:33, Yanny wrote:
    Xeno, I’d love to play you on the zone, but for some reason I can’t launch any games on the zone lately. I even tried making a new zone name and that didnt work, I repatched and I recopied that directx file and nothing works. I may just reinstall the game and the zone and the patch. But, if I get it back up I’d love to play you.

And in response to the africa comment, if the germans can secure africa, the 40 or so IPC investment in conquering it is made up in a few turns.

Well if you get it working I would like to try and play it out some time. My philosophy seems to be a bit different than many people who post here, and I would like to try my strategies out against a fresh set of opponents some time.

I have a lot of experience playing the game but have never played online. Perhaps this would give me the chance to get a game or two under my belt before hand.

If you get it working let me know and we could work out a time to get a game going.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m