Ksmckay(X) vs Pejon_88 (Allies +10)

• 2023 '22

Too bad I screwed up on J4 with Calcutta. Honestly, I don’t remember why I missed it. I might have been, embarrassed to say, I didn’t see your NB in FIC. This with your J1 attack put my off guard, I think. I haven’t played AAA very long and hence never experienced the J1 attack before though I’ve heard of it, very interesting to see.

• '19

You should have said something at the time, I would have let you adjust. I thought you were baiting me into it.

• '19

TripleA Turn Summary: Italians round 6

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 Balanced Mod3, version: 3.4

Game History

Round: 6

Purchase Units - Italians
            Italians buy 2 fighters; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Italians
            1 infantry moved from Western Germany to Holland Belgium
            2 infantry moved from France to Normandy Bordeaux
            2 fighters moved from Southern Italy to Normandy Bordeaux
            2 fighters moved from Yugoslavia to Holland Belgium
            1 bomber moved from Southern Italy to Iraq
            1 armour moved from Northwest Persia to Iraq
            1 armour moved from Caucasus to Iraq

Combat - Italians
            Battle in Normandy Bordeaux
                Italians attack with 2 fighters and 2 infantry
                Americans defend with 1 artillery, 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour and 1 infantry
                    Italians roll dice for 2 fighters and 2 infantry in Normandy Bordeaux, round 2 : 2/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 1 artillery and 1 infantry in Normandy Bordeaux, round 2 : 1/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Americans, 1 artillery owned by the Americans and 1 infantry owned by the Italians lost in Normandy Bordeaux
                Italians win, taking Normandy Bordeaux from Americans with 2 fighters and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 4
                Casualties for Italians: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Americans: 1 artillery and 1 infantry
            Battle in Holland Belgium
                Italians attack with 2 fighters and 1 infantry
                Americans defend with 1 infantry
                    Italians roll dice for 2 fighters and 1 infantry in Holland Belgium, round 2 : 1/3 hits, 1.17 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 1 infantry in Holland Belgium, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Americans lost in Holland Belgium
                Italians win, taking Holland Belgium from Americans with 2 fighters and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Americans: 1 infantry
            Battle in Iraq
                Italians attack with 2 armour and 1 bomber
                British defend with 1 factory_minor and 1 infantry
                    Italians roll dice for 2 armour and 1 bomber in Iraq, round 2 : 1/3 hits, 1.67 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 infantry in Iraq, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the British lost in Iraq
                Italians win, taking Iraq from British with 2 armour and 1 bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for British: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - Italians
            1 bomber moved from Iraq to Caucasus
            2 fighters moved from Normandy Bordeaux to Western Germany
            2 fighters moved from Holland Belgium to Western Germany
            2 aaGuns, 2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from Rostov to Caucasus
            2 mech_infantrys moved from Ukraine to Caucasus

Place Units - Italians
            2 fighters placed in Southern Italy

Turn Complete - Italians
            Italians collect 19 PUs; end with 19 PUs
            Objective Italians 4 Control Iraq Or Persia Or Northwest Persia: Italians met a national objective for an additional 4 PUs; end with 23 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Italians : -0.17
    British : -0.33
    Americans : 0.00

Savegame

• '19

I can understand being surprised by J1. I have limited experience with it as well, this is my first time trying it but I have faced it a couple times now. But in my opinion you made a few major mistakes, and then combined with losing india the way you did, the game was over. Happy to play it out. let me know if you are interested in any feedback.

• 2023 '22

Yes I would be happy for some please. You have also been very successful with Germany early on, which made it hard for me to counter effectively. What is your opinion?

• '19

I think the disadvantage of a j1 is that it allows the allies into the game in europe faster. But since you went for taranto, you traded your UK fleet for my italian fleet, and that meant you couldnt even get into the europe game until US3, which meant I had free reign with germany early on. You didnt start to apply any pressure to japan till us3 as well. So I ended up with all the benefits of a J1 with none of the downsides. I think that was the major thing. Taranto was pretty much worthless. I dont like taranto really, as it neuters UK. Didnt even end up hurting Italy much.

I think that was the major thing, followed by India. There were a few little things you could have done to defend or discourage the attack that you didnt do, but as you said maybe you just missed it.

Other things were, germany was going hard after russia. You purchased really aggressively (offensively) and as a result I marched right through Rostov. With all that pressure coming you couldnt afford to buy 3 factories down there.

Abandoning the far east with russia freed up a bunch of resources for japan, by the time they get back to russia, the damage was done. Sending 6 back is fine I think but all of them is really helpful to japan.

I also think US using bombers to spawn guerillas is a terrible idea (even with better dice) except in very limited circumstances but thats really nitpicking.

• 2023 '22

Thanks for much appreciated feedback. I will try and justify the choices I made in the game below, to at least show you I had an intention behind them.

First of all since I have no experience with J1, I didn’t realize the benefit of getting into Europe earlier, which is very reasonable now that I think of it. I saw my chance to try and put some pressure on Japan instead, but understand now why this is probably not the best move. My idea with Taranto was to cripple Italy and then rebuild, however I do agree that a crippled UK Europe sucks… Maybe I would have been better off buying a sub in the med and an Arty in Alexandria or something and then consolidate my fleet in SZ92 with an air base.

India we discussed.

Regarding my buys for Russia, I have had great success with similar purchases versus other opponents (weaker opponents, I might add). Would you advise I should have bought more Inf in our game? The factories was a desperate attempt to eventually re-conquer India and hold Middle East, but that was already too late after losing India turn 4 of course in addition to a very effective Germany and not optimally played Russia. I feel that at least one factory is essential in the ME, otherwise Germany/Italy can just waltz in. Do you agree?

About the far east, I need to play this area better in general. My typical move is to retreat the forces to have them with a stack of Arty to really counter Germany turn 8 and on. I see your point about keeping forces in the Far east to threaten Korea, right? You don’t think the forces are needed to defend Moscow and counter Germany?

Interesting point about the bomber/guerilla. You are probably right, having played many more games, BM3 in particular I would assume, but statistically it should be beneficial using this tactic. Do you mean that the resources are much better spent in other ways or are you just not for the whole idea?

Also an additional question, if you may be so kind to answer it. Its not related to this game. How would you personally spend an 15 IPC bid, BM3?

• '19

I still am not sure how to do or counter J1s optimally yet. Thats why I am trying it out. But you didnt end up applying pressure to either theater, until turn 3/4. Thats too late. Taranto can potentially cripple italy, but if UK goes heavy after italy, its crippled anyway. You never really crippled it, income was always decent, always had a fleet but you definitely crippled UK. UK is still crippled as you have no fleet to speak of so cant threaten anything really, with german air around to keep you honest. Nothing wrong with ftr sco, I just think you would be better off with something other than taranto. Personally, I dont see anything better than a z92 stack if germany doesnt buy navy.

Russia - R1 and R2 were probably ok, but R3 killed you, as you didnt have enough units to defend Bry on R4. Maybe it would have been ok if you had been applying pressure to germany elsewhere but by that point US/UK were just getting into position.

I think a factory in ME is fine, maybe even two. But definitely not three, in your position where UK wasnt making much money. But as you said, you were trying desperately to hold things off, but really by then it was too late and the extra factories just make things worse.

If russians sit in Amur, they force japan to leave units there which means less units going to india. Also means if you are able to land in korea with US you can support with russia and hold it. Without them, even if you take korea early, japan can easily take it back so no real threat there. which means Japan can focus everything on the south. If you go to z6 without an advantage in fleet (which is hard to get early on because of japanese air power) and with no russians to support you are toast. In a different situation I would have attacked far east with japan and nullified any benefit that those 12 units going back to russia would have made. They are just getting back now and the game is already over.

guerilla bombing is only slightly positive over time. You are trading US bombers for worthless chinese inf. Thats a bad trade. US cant waste money like that, especially early on. Its 50/50 you lose your bomber. Thats a horrid trade for the gain you get. Only situation I have seen it used effectively is say clearing Yunnan and then allowing a bonus and/or letting UK/Anzac air land in china

15 ipcs I would probably buy inf NG, ftr sco, 2 ipcs UK pac. I also like inf NG, marine ind, sub 111 or 91.

• 2023 '22

Thank you again for all your advice. I will keep them in mind for future games. Let us play another game later, when I have gained some more experience and gotten better. So far I have done well in the League, 6/6 wins but 4 of them versus Tier 2/3. I wanted to start there to get used to BM3 and now start playing only Tier 1/E.

Saw you are playing my friend Trulpen. I’m gonna try and follow that game and see where it goes. Good luck!

Feel free to post your win in the thread :)

Have a nice day/night, depending on your location.

• '19

sounds good. thanks for the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m