Slingshot armor via Yugo attack/retreat?

• On G1, armor is used to take France/Southern France. On G2, armor swings back to attack Yugoslavia, along with infantry out of Romania/Hungary. Assuming the Germans do not defeat all five infantry that are activated in Yugoslavia, can the armor retreat into Romania/Hungary - effectively slingshotting them from France all the way to the Russian front for use on turn 3? My reading of the rules indicates this would in fact be legit, but that moves the armor 3 regions from their start, in effect. Exploit? Broken element?

• @betaphi said in Slingshot armor via Yugo attack/retreat?:

My reading of the rules indicates this would in fact be legit, but that moves the armor 3 regions from their start, in effect. Exploit? Broken element?

Just a standard move. Retreating (any) land or sea unit is unrelated to individual movement limits.

• @Panther I hadn’t seen this tactic used before - allows for the armor to be used against France, and then used again in G3 against second line Russian front, if Italy can-opens on I2. Seems odd, considering without any combat activity, those tanks would not be able to move that far across the board - but by engaging in combat, their range is (potentially) increased.

• @betaphi
    I understand your amazement. But that is nothing Global or Tank specific.
    It’s a result of the retreat rules in A&A editions, that allow to retreat all land or sea units into any (one) space at least (any) one unit came from during Combat Move Phase.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

Panther let me ask you this because this is a strategy too. If u brought combat pieces from 3 different territories then after one round of combat retreat them all to one territory correct.
    Like a 2 move and 3 for tanks mechs. now u stack a territory to block

• @SS-GEN
    Correct, that is what the retreat rule says (Pacific 1940.2 page 20):

Condition B: Attacker retreats:
    The attacker (never the defender) can retreat during this step. Move all attacking land
    and sea units in that combat that are along the battle strip to a single adjacent friendly space
    from or through which at least 1 of the original attacking land or sea units moved. In the case
    of sea units, that space must have been friendly at the start of the turn. All such units must
    retreat together to the same territory or sea zone, regardless of where they came from.

However as the attacker using this rule as strategy/tactic you are facing the risk that ‘Condition B’ might not occur due to the battle result (Condition A—Attacker and/or Defender Loses All Units). Also for at least one unit it is not an “additional” space - but just the space it came from before.

• @SS-GEN @betaphi It is gamey, it does permit extra moves. We usually call it a “strafe”. You can also get extra moves by squatting on a friendly carrier and riding along, though there are some downsides to that too (planes as cargo, etc.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m