• '21 '20

Hi, I was wondering if it was worth it to try and take out ANZAC at the start of the game as Japan. I’ve never tried it, but it would take an allied power out of the game quite early which is 15 income every round the allies aren’t getting. The navy that would take out ANZAC would be on a naval base allowing it to be repurposed on the next round to hit Hawaii or move along to Calcutta.

J1 I would stage a sizable portion of my navy on the carolines
    J2 If the allies put up blockers, don’t declare war and park navy outside of Sydney.
    if there arent any blockers, just declare and take Sydney.

Either way, you have Sydney J2 or J3, and there isn’t much the allies can do to stop you. Correct me if I’m wrong in any of these assumptions, I just don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

• '20 '19 '18

The issue with targeting ANZAC is, for me, an economic one. For Japan to acquire ANZAC’s 10 IPC/turn, they have to capture a total of seven territories. On the other hand, just four territories - Sumatra, Java, Borneo and Celebes - will net 20 IPC/turn for Japan. My alternative to your scenario is this:

J1 Move one transport and one sub from Japan to the Carolines.
    J2 Declare war, then use transport + 1 INF from Carolines to take New Guinea. Also take Malaya as soon as possible (these actions deny ANZAC National Objectives, costing them 10 IPC/turn). Use naval forces in Carolines to take out ANZAC fleet.

On subsequent turns, park subs in sea zones 54, 62 and 63. This can reduce ANZAC income to as little as 3 IPC/turn, virtually taking them out of the fight without investing a significant chunk of the Japanese navy, as well as ground forces.

• '19 '17 '16

Also, Japan only has one transport which can reach SZ33 J1. ANZAC can easily defend against this J2 take down.

I just don’t find it as juicy a target as Calcutta is. ANZAC may actually be more of an IPC swing but New Zealand is 2 turns from W USA, so getting and holding all those IPCs is kinda hard.

• @WindowWasher Good day. Japan needs the income from the DEI and need to keep India on the defensive, not expanding. I agree with Awk others here: Oz can wait. Make Japan a monster first.
    I have played close to 100 1940 games and don’t think anyone has tried to take Sydney from me early on.
    Try it, but I don’t think it would work against most players here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m