• The advantage of attacking, is choosing the time and the place of the engagment.

• the advantage of defending is stronger units.

• Sankt…

Your game is a bad example…  Your opponent over-extended by trying West Russia on G1.  Most players would have left that combat out, and had superior force positions for subsequent rounds.

Also… I tend to disagree (at times) with a Ukraine strike on R1.  Against SOME players this is a good move, against others, a Belorussia strike (and West Russia of course) is the superior move.

A Belo strike allows the Allies to take control in the North far more quickly (Turn 3).  The trade off is that Russia must be set to defend Caucuses against a stronger force (which is possible, especially if Germany over-extends on G1, and if UK abandones India to re-take Africa on UK1)

• Attacking = Suprise The defender is reactionary

• I am almost never suprised by the attacks my oponets make.

• Switch… it’s still a good example. Even if he overextended he has the upper hand in Karelia. (which was my point) He could have had 3 more inf alive, but that’s hardly a game breaker.

I think the Ukraine move is pretty good(but risky!) since you take out 1 German fig. Germany will have 5 figs and 1 bomber left to trade karelia and/or ukraine, kill a british BB, kill a british DST and take Egypt(?). If he wants to press on all those fronts the odds of losing an additonal fighter and an inf here and there increases dramatically. Further it reduces the need for UK/US to buy defensive naval units with a weakened luftwaffe = quicker troop insertion into Europe.

I’m not saying striking Ukraine is superior to Belo, but IMO it lets the German player have more flexibility. (which generally is bad)

• 2007 AAR League

Im a strong advocate of Russia sending 2 Arm to Yakut and 6 inf To Buryatia on R1, to go mess Machuria up a bit…

Ties up Japan atleast 1 round, ussually more.  (usually followed by Allied partial offence vs Japan.)

• That sounds like a good idea, but I haven’t seen anyone use it in the games on the board.  Maybe you should try it out.  Will it leave the German front a bit weak though?  Would you be able to attack Ukraine?  Would you lose those tanks quick against Japan?

• Actually, I have had a similar strat used against me… and crushed the Russian offensive in China after they moved through Manch.

Was annoying, and slowed Japan, but was far from debilitating.

• it is hard to slow JPN in the intial rounds. they are the axis “ace in the hole”. I would not sack 2 RUS tanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m