[GUIDE] How to Climb the Ranked Ladder A&A 1942 SE Online Beamdog

• To steer back on the actual topic of this thread: great post!

So I decided to try to do the total opposite of your recommendations with Germany. G1 I go with 3 bomb / 1 art. Future buys vary depending on the Allies’ actions, but usually involve one more bomber, and a mix of tanks and inf. The fighters are all stacked in NW Europe and the bombers serve as a mix of SBR on Russia and Atlantic fleet attacks/deterrence with the fighters. So far, only below average luck on SBRs or opening moves (eg disaster for Germany in sz7 or losing the bb to the dest in the Med) have seemed to lead to this strategy failing miserably.

I started in the silver rankings after placement games, and am now inside the top 30 in the gold rankings, and still creeping up, so I wonder if this seemingly ridiculous strategy with Germany can take me into the platinum rankings. I doubt it, but I’d like to hear your thoughts on this.

Cheers!

• @Nosho Hi thank you - glad you liked the guide. The 3 bomber start can be viable for sure, but I would still classify it as a fun opener and not something that will work at a highly competitive level. Great for crushing ranked (for awhile) as you mentioned it makes it difficult for the allies to get going at sea. Strat bombing as Germany when under the pressure of KGF seems very risky though. If you like bombers as axis, maybe consider some sort of 1 a turn playstyle of the axis power that is not being pressured. J bombers in KGF are useful, and G bombers in KJF are especially useful. Still think you could get to plat with your strat, especially if you just do pure inf after the greedy 3 bomber buy round 1.

• @Tahweh Depending on the Allies reactions to the initial buys, sometimes I go one extra bomber and only tanks. That is only viable when Russia makes a mistake and I think Moscow is going to fall inside of 5 turns, which happens more often than I thought it would. Otherwise it’s mostly infantry and a few tanks. Now #5 in the gold rankings, so we’ll see if I can get any success later on if I make it to plat. It’s always a huge gamble though. For example, recently I lost my 3 bombers on their first SBR, and those games go south REAL quick.

What kind of strategy do you think works best for the allies against this German air power strategy?

• @Nosho definitely viable when smelling a quick USSR collapse. I personally would precede to do a KGF as close to normal as I could. Would probably offer a slightly favorable trade (for G) of UK/US navy for German air round 1-3. If I felt like waiting a bit longer, it does not take much to secure naval safety with both the US and UK income and starting fleet

• Started out this season with Axis really well, but have hit a solid wall and probably going to lose a quite a few games in a row. Couple Allied strats I have seen that seem to give me problems. The American and UK ferry to Scandinavia seems to offer a defense against both Germany and Japan, and as Allies get stronger they start to nip at Western Europe. As Germany gets worn down IPC wise with Bomber attacks and losing territory, Russia and other allies can afford to ship units to stem any Japanese aggression. Another one I see quite often and I have a ton of problems with it is when Soviet Union starts and just does a massive attack on West Russia only, Its great not losing Ukraine but you are faced with a death stack on West Russia, and in the following UK turn you can be sure your Med fleet is going to be targeted. It is so terribly easy for Allies to kill Germany in African cutting off a source of income. Allies have a few ways to beat you and I feel Axis has the same old ground slog to Moscow.

• @Brian-Cannon How do you overcome that initial almost always successful opening Soviet attack?

• @brian-cannon I’ve seen Germany launch an all out attack on Ukraine or Belarus and just throw everything at Arusha from turn one. First two times this really threw me, and honestly I don’t have a solid reliable counter. I suppose just immediately throw every fighter UK and USA have into Russia?

If they take Belarus though, uk fighters can’t get to Russia in 1 turn. Russia can strafe or take Belarus but at crippling cost.

• @nosho
    I know its an old thread but in case your still around
    just wondering how far you went with your 3 bomber opening?
    I think its an interesting move definitely buys time against British and American amphibious landings.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m