A&A 1914 (LHTR) - Moving through multiple mined enemy-mined SZs

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Without naming specific Territories (I can if needed), let’s say we have the following situation:

SZA: Containing my 4 loaded Transports, which have not moved yet. It is adjacent to SZB, but not SZC.
    SZB: Which is adjacent to SZA and SZC, and is mined by the enemy.
    Territory X, which is only adjacent to SZB.
    SZC: Which is adjacent to SZB, but not SZA and is also mined by the enemy.
    Territory Y, which is only adjacent to SZC.

Now, let’s say I start my Combat Move Phase, and wish to move through the enemy SZs (from SZ1 -> SZ3, then amphibing into Territory Y). Which of the following processes is correct:

1. I move my units from SZ1 into SZ2, then roll for mines, then must follow-through with moving into SZ3, then roll for mines, then must amphib into Territory Y.

2. I move my units from SZ1 into SZ2, then roll for mines, then have the option of either moving into SZ3 (where I may either amphib into territory X or choose not to) OR amphibing into Territory X OR staying put, based on how the mine rolls go.

3. I move my units from SZ1 into SZ2, then roll for mines, then have the option of either moving into SZ3 (where I may either amphib into territory X or choose not to) OR staying put (no option for landing in territory X since I didn’t declare any intent to move there), based on how the mine rolls go.

4. Same as #2, but must land in territory Y if I move into SZ3.

5. Same as #3, but must land in territory Y if I move into SZ3.

I guess the more general question is this:

“During Naval Movement, am I allowed to change course based on how mine rolls go, or must I commit to the moves I initially declared?”

• Official Q&A

Whether you’re using the OOB or Tournament rules, mines are rolled for “at the end of [the Movement] phase” (see page 17 of the Rulebook), so you must make all of your movements before resolving any minefields. The only movements you’re allowed to “take back” after rolling for mines are those that are affected by the destruction of units by mines, such as the loading of units in a sea zone entered after the transport was sunk or calling off an amphibious assault due to unit losses (see the FAQ).

However, the Tournament Rules also state that “sea units must stop when entering a mined sea zone”, so the only legal move involving an amphibious assault in the situation you’ve outlined is for the transports to move into SZB and amphibiously assault Territory X. In that case, you’d execute all movement, roll for mines, and then have the option of calling off the assault if any of the transports were sunk (moving the land units back onto them, if necessary).

Under OOB rules, none of your options are entirely correct, either. Number 1 is the closest, but again, mines are rolled for after movement is completed, and the assault may be called off if any transports are sunk.

• @Krieghund Thanks. I don’t play a lot of 1914 so some of the mine rules are pretty wonky for me. The bit about mines halting movement in particular is pretty important.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m