• I’m not new to miniatures wargaming; have had Warhammer and 40K, but I have been out of it for 5 years. I’ve read through the basic rules and it seems like a decent game with good support. It also looks like it would be a good fit for me due to painting already being done. (A 1 year old and a 3 year old tend to cramp your time to do things like that). So my main question is this, how much money am i looking at dropping for a decent pair of armies? I would like to have the ability to field a 250 point army. I know for the above mentioned games workshop I would be looking at about 300 dollars or more for just a tiny force. Is this game more bank account friendly?
    Also, how long do the games run?
    The AH site says 30-90 minutes, but for what size battle is that?
    What size is the standard playing surface?
    Is there good after market support for terrain and miniatures?
    What scale is 15 mm anyway?
    Are these plastic minis easy to mod and repaint?
    Well, thats it for now. I know i could have spent a couple of hours researching to answer all these, but really this is better. This way other newbies can just read this post to answer all their simple questions too.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Garfunkle:

I would like to have the ability to field a 250 point army. I know for the above mentioned games workshop I would be looking at about 300 dollars or more for just a tiny force. Is this game more bank account friendly?

Coming from Warhammer you’re going to love this game. The casualties rule system alone makes this game so much better for me than any other miniatures game. In Heroclix I got so frustrated when my team would get decimated immediately with no recourse. With A&A Minis you get to fire back before you’re destroyed.

The cost is much easier on the wallet. I spend between $120 and $170 per set that is released. That gets me between 108 and 162 minutures. Since each pack has at least one rare unit, I get 12 - 18 rares. That’s the shotgun approach to buying the game. I purchase by the case load and trade online to get any pieces that I’m missing. Game outfitter seems to have the best prices. (http://www.gameoutfitter.com/). I get 1 - 1.5 cases per set.

The other approach is buying from eBay/online store. Do some research, find the pieces you want, and purchase them all individually. I’m a little too lazy for this approach.

Also, how long do the games run?

If you don’t count the time to formulate your armies, games rarely last only 30 minutes. 30 minutes is usually for a scenario that gets you into the action right away. Tournament games usually last between 60 and 90 minutes. Recreational games can last up to 2 hours if you’re taking your time. You’re first few games will probably last 2 hours.

A glossy paper map. I have a large clear acrylic plastic sheet that I lay on top of the maps to keep them flat. I have seen others create their own 3D terrain, but you need something to mark off the hexes on the map.

Yes, there are all kinds of maps, tiles, and scenarios that you can download for free: http://www.axisandallies.org/node/32

For printing check out: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=6540.0

I think the scale actually varies. The infrantry are a little larger scale than the armor. The artillery are smaller scale than the infantry. The planes are different than all the others.

Yes. This is a very popular thing to so. Something to get you started: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=6520.0

• Also, how long do the games run?

If you don’t count the time to formulate your armies, games rarely last only 30 minutes. 30 minutes is usually for a scenario that gets you into the action right away. Tournament games usually last between 60 and 90 minutes. Recreational games can last up to 2 hours if you’re taking your time. You’re first few games will probably last 2 hours.

Not for what point total he wants to play. It’s usually 45 minutes-1 hour/ 100 points you do. At 250 point armies, which is reaching the limit for point totals maintaining game balance (post 300 you’ll see huge balance issues), expect to play and hour and a half- 2 hours, maybe more in the beginning as you learn the rules. It also depends on the scenario you’re playing.

@Garfunkle:

Well, normally it’s the 2x2 maps they give you. But you won’t be able to play on that surface with the point totals you want to do. You’ll need at least one more starter set to have the ability to play on 4x2 maps or 3x3. Hell, I sometimes consider getting a third starter set for even more maps, as sometimes I feel like 4x2 isn’t big enough. I play 150-200 point battles.

@Garfunkle:

The terrain are maps that come with the game. Some people eventually play using 3-d terrain, but then you have to either play using houserules, or go out and buy hex-terrain, which is a whole new set of expenses.

@Garfunkle:

Basically 1:120. It’s more like 1:121, but 1:120 is the accepted number for buying terrain for the game.

@Garfunkle:

Yes.

@Garfunkle:

I would like to have the ability to field a 250 point army

That’s like fielding a 6,000 point army in Warhammer: it’s really big and might make the game take longer than you want. Before making any army goals, play the game a few times. Having a crapload of miniatures to choose from for army building is sweet, but actually fielding 250 points might be hefty for you, since you mentioned that your kids impede gaming somewhat. 150 points is usually big enough to have alot of fun and see lots of units, but small enough that the game doesn’t last forever.

Welcome aboard. May you make every cover save and ignore enemy Superior Armor… :)

-=Grim=-

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m