• Hmm. Interesting article, but when I read the line that says “One other grave mistake was not continuing the attack on British airfields after the initial blow on Aug. 13, 1940” my reaction was to wonder why they needed “a computer model using a technique known as weighted bootstrapping” to figure out something that’s been known for decades. To give one example of this point being made long ago, the Battle of Britain episode of the 1970s BBC TV series The World At War says that Fighter Command was almost brought to the breaking point by the phase of the campaign which focussed on the airfields, and that British pilots characterized as “a miracle” the day when the Luftwaffe’s incoming raids went past the airfields and switched to bombing London instead.

• @CWO-Marc said in Could of should of ?:

Hmm. Interesting article, but when I read the line that says “One other grave mistake was not continuing the attack on British airfields after the initial blow on Aug. 13, 1940” my reaction was to wonder why they needed “a computer model using a technique known as weighted bootstrapping” to figure out something that’s been known for decades. To give one example of this point being made long ago, the Battle of Britain episode of the 1970s BBC TV series The World At War says that Fighter Command was almost brought to the breaking point by the phase of the campaign which focussed on the airfields, and that British pilots characterized as “a miracle” the day when the Luftwaffe’s incoming raids went past the airfields and switched to bombing London instead.

Yes I’ve heard of that too.

• Thanks, that is an interesting article. I am in the camp that believes that if the Luftwaffe was larger, and that Hitler would have started the war in 1945 as planned, that the Germans would have won. I am intrigued by these alternate histories, so thanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m