• New to the game and have heard a few alternate rules. I understand bidding, but what is mean tby russian restricted,

Russia Restricted refers to not allowing Russia to Carry out Combat Move Phase on the first turn to balance the game since it is slanted in favor of the Allies. This prevents the Russians from destroying some valuable Equipment like Tanks and Armor on the Eastern Front before they get Offensive Action.

GG

• what do most people prefer to play?

• There is a general preference to go with a sizable Axis bid (the Axis gets an additional 20-some IPCs of equipment to start) to balance the game rather than using Russia Restricted… at least based on the games played here.  This would be for Classic aka 2nd Edition (Milton Bradley version) and 3rd Edition (Hasbro CD)

• @ncscswitch:

There is a general preference to go with a sizable Axis bid (the Axis gets an additional 20-some IPCs of equipment to start) to balance the game rather than using Russia Restricted… at least based on the games played here.  This would be for Classic aka 2nd Edition (Milton Bradley version) and 3rd Edition (Hasbro CD)

Agreed, although I always played RR/2hit BB. Game just played better IMHO. Revised is all I play now though.

Squirecam

• 2-hit BB’s is generally seen as an Allied advantage.

If you are going to use RR and 2-hit BB’s, and NOT use a bid, there are 2 other changes you should implement to balance things out…
    Hasbro lists it as “Axis Advantage”, Germany gets Jets to start, and Japan gets Super Subs.

Personally, I think that Germany should get Super Subs also for this.

If you do all of those things… 2 hit BB’s, Russia Restricted, Super Subs, and German Jets, you should end up with a pretty balanced game, w/o a bid.

• @squirecam:

@ncscswitch:

There is a general preference to go with a sizable Axis bid (the Axis gets an additional 20-some IPCs of equipment to start) to balance the game rather than using Russia Restricted… at least based on the games played here.  This would be for Classic aka 2nd Edition (Milton Bradley version) and 3rd Edition (Hasbro CD)

Agreed, although I always played RR/2hit BB. Game just played better IMHO. Revised is all I play now though.

Squirecam

Hi all, this is my first post here.

It is not completely clear for me whether the revised edition need any balancing in general, and Russia restricted in particular.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• i don’t think this i of topic but it might be. do you thing the game would be affected at all if a battle ship was stuck in the Caspian sea and could perform amphibious assaults on the neighboring territories. this will allow Russia to built a fleet in Caucasus that cant leave. i don’t know why Russia would do such a stupid thing. this would only help if germany captured Caucasus or Persia.

• Yes, a Caspian Sea fleet IS legal.

Why you would want to invest 32 IPC (1 BB, 1 TRN) into a Caspian Fleet is beyond me.  4 INF, 4 ARM for the same money moving via Kazakh and/or Caucuses makes a LOT more sense.

second that… It would be better to shove men into defending Moscow at that point, not retaking Caucaus!

GG

• i’m sorry i meant put  a battleship there in the beggening for free. so its changing the intial setup for russia

I don’t think that the Russians kept a fleet in the Caspian, so there is no historical reason to add it…

GG

• 2007 AAR League

Has there ever been a fleet in the Caspian Fleet by any country in real life?

• Actually yes, teh Soviets maintained a small fleet in teh Caspian at all times… call it the A&A equivalent of a SUB, but in the form of suface ships.

• "

During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945, the Caspian Flotilla secured vital sea shipping of army units, military equipment and different cargo, especially during the Battle of Stalingrad and battle for Caucasus.

“Caspian Flotilla.” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 28 Aug 2006, 20:56 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 1 Oct 2006 <http: en.wikipedia.org=“” w=“” index.php?title=“Caspian_Flotilla&oldid=72465211”>.</http:>

Per se, how does Subs attack Land units in AaA? It could be a Transport, but I could just move there instead…

• I meant in terms of combat strength it would have been equivalent to about 1 A&A SUB.

I understand that… I am merely remarking on a playing level, the idea of putting a BB in the Caspian for any reason besides the fact that history doesn’t support it? Sorry if I sound like Mr. Rain-on-Parade…

GG

• LOL, well, I think there is a reason why “Caspian Sub” may have chosen the most useless buy ever thought of for the name of their group :-)

The ultimate irony?  Or a statement of purpose? :-)

LOL! It definitely has to be #… Oh nevermind… We are way off topic anyways… Russia Restricted people!

GG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m