20 Years of Axis & Allies .org

• TripleA

@djensen Impressive! Great to have a strong and passionate A&A community!

• Official Q&A

Congratulations!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@djensen gratz. This site’s always been a big part of my life (lurked here for years before finally joining) and this site is literally the anchor that keeps the whole community together. Here’s to the next 20 years.

• The site has been such a well-established part of my life for such a long time that it was a bit of a shock, upon seeing that this is its 20th anniversary, to take a step back and realize just how long a time it’s been and how much the A&A game has evolved during that interval. Many of the unit types and player nations available today in Global didn’t even exist at the time, which makes those days look like ancient history (which isn’t a bad thing, given that many A&A players are history buffs). As the previous post said, here’s to another 20 great years!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Congrats! That’s an achievement worthy to be proud of.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@CWO-Marc As for what we did and did not have back in 2000, I made a small chart

Unit from Classic (1984)
    Aircraft Carrier
    Anti-Aircraft Artillery
    Battleship
    Bomber
    Fighter
    Industrial Complex
    Infantry
    Submarine
    Tank
    Transport

Units Added in Europe / Pacific / Revised (1999/2000)
    Artillery
    Destroyer

Units Added in Anniversary (2008)
    Cruiser

Units Added in Europe 1940 / Pacific 1940 (2009)
    Mechanized Infantry
    Tactical Bomber

Units Radically Changed in Europe 1940 / Pacific 1940 (2009)
    Industrial Complex

Units Radically Changed in the Second Edition games (2012)
    Anti-Aircraft Artillery

Units Added in Zombies (2018)
    Zombies

So, yes, both a lot already around in 2000 and a lot more still to come.

-Midnight_Reaper

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

20 years? Wow… too cool! I’ll drink to that, and toast to another 20 years of A&A forums!

• @Midnight_Reaper said in 20 Years of Axis & Allies .org:

@CWO-Marc As for what we did and did not have back in 2000, I made a small chart

Great chart, Midnight Reaper; it brings back lots of memories. A further point to note is that, in Classic, only the infantry sculpt was nation-specific and was based on authentic WWII designs; the equipment sculpts started following the same design principle with Europe / Pacific / Revised, though it took a long while to achieve (by combining E1940.2, P1940.2 and 1941) a full array for everyone except France. We were also treated to some neat special-category sculpts: the German blockhouses in D-Day, the American and German trucks in Bulge, and the entirely-other-war sculpt set of 1914. Another nice development in the official games has been the addition of China, Italy, ANZAC and France to the original five powers (US, UK, USSR, Germany and Japan). And in the early days, people who wanted extra types of units (or extra colours to represent other countries) had to make do with third-party products like the Xeno and Table Tactics ones or the Enemy on the Horizon expansion set, the quality of which was uneven and the availability of which wasn’t always great. Things certainly have changed.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m