Russian kills German Fleet Turn 1?

• Why not sent a Russian Fighter and Bomber to take out the German Fleet on Turn 1 in the Anniversary 42 scenario. It is a 3-4 vs a 2-3. Seems like good odds to me.

• 2020 2019 2018

People will say it’s too dicey (and they have a point, it can very easily go pear-shaped for you if you get unlikely rolls. Battle calc gives you 58% chance of success (all of the Nazis die and at least one Soviet survives), 24% of failure (all of the Soviets die and some Nazi surface-vessel survives), and 18% chance of partial failure (all Soviets dead, all Nazi surface-vessels dead, Nazi transports survive)).

I make a similar play R1 in 42SE to destroy the Baltic Fleet and make it impossible for Germany to take Leningrad G1. I imagine you’re going for the same sort of idea here, since Leningrad is both a Victory City and contains a Factory, so delaying Germany access to both, even if it’s just for one turn, can mean the difference between dying to a Moscow crush and UK/US air units arriving in Moscow in time to survive into the late game.

I guess you need to evaluate how your opponents typically open the game, and how much of a bid you’re giving the Allies. If you can get a high enough bid, an extra Fighter pretty much makes this opening strategy 100% safe (~92% chance of success).

• @Taewakan said in Russian kills German Fleet Turn 1?:

Why not sent a Russian Fighter and Bomber to take out the German Fleet on Turn 1 in the Anniversary 42 scenario. It is a 3-4 vs a 2-3. Seems like good odds to me.

You can also send a russian bomber on the Germany sz13 fleet of a Destroyer and transport. A “4” on a “2”.

• 2019 2018 2017 '16 '15

I also did something like this on 42 2E, and worked. A bit risky but worth the fun doing this as an alternative start.

20th Anniversary Give Away

In January 2000 this site came to life and now we're celebrating our 20th Anniversary with a prize giveaway of 30+ prizes. See this link for the list of prizes and winners.
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys
T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.4m