• Would this be kind of cheap considering the engineers have Close Assualt 16?

• cheap!  how so?  you still have to actually get the engineer into the enemys vehicle hex.  and its very hard to do, if the other player knows how to support his tanks with a simple SSPG, or SNLF Fanatic.  so no its not cheap, its stupid to try and waste 15 points on something that will probably never make it into an enemys hex.  IMO

• is there a good strategy (for allies) to kill biggie tanks, besides other big tanks

• Founder TripleA Admin

The Royal Engineer is good for the end of the game but for this to work you need to get him into the objective hex. Then when your opponent comes with a large tank to contest the objective on Turn 7, you’ll have the Royal Engineer there.

It’s fun to try but Jeep-zooka works a little better. You have a Jeep carry your bazooka. The key here is to only unload onto the rear of disrupted tanks. If the armor is low enough, you can blast away with you 9 dice. Otherwise I’d recommend getting into the same hex to get those 10 close assault attack dice.

• @FranceTanks:

Would this be kind of cheap considering the engineers have Close Assualt 16?

16 Close Assault sounds reasonable considering it an engineer.  I mean they have explosives with them and what not, im sure that would garner the high dice roll in the same hex.  However, like argarus said, it would be rather difficult to get your engineer in the same hex if your oponent has ample support around him.

• No, its not cheap. Risky, but not cheap. You shouldnt rush anything up in a Jeep if your opponent is any good. I usually use my jeeps to get my flamethrowers and bazookas near the enemy tank, since getting in the same hex usually never works in my games. The best way to take out big tanks is usually with other big tanks or tank-hunters.

-=Grim=-

• Founder TripleA Admin

Well, if you are good, you can definitely use a Jeep-zooka effectively against a good opponent. But it cannot be used as your point piece. It needs to run around and hide until the time is right.

Use it to finish off tanks, unload the Bazooka adjacent to a disrupted (non-mobile) tank. Unload in the rear if the rear armor is down to 4 or less, you’ll be able to get a good hit throwing 9 dice. At 5 or greater, you’re probably best moving the bazooka (after being unloaded in movement) into the hex to get the full 10 dice.

• While were on the subject of engineers……can one of them “destroy” a bridge in the game?  Ive never seen the card of an engineer, so I dont know if thats one of their abilitys.

• Yea. It’s one of those abilities you swear you’ll find a use for one day, but deep down inside… you know it’s useless. If they ever come out with new maps for Operation Market Garden or maybe even Crete, something where the bridge is a major factor and the river is a full hex or wider (and thus impassable without a bridge), you’ll see people pimp the Engineer more.

-=Grim=-

• @FranceTanks:

is there a good strategy (for allies) to kill biggie tanks, besides other big tanks

Use several medium or light tanks to flank it and attack its back. Considering he can only attack one tank to attack per turn you will not lose more than one or two of your tanks. After you destory his big tank he will have almost nothing left. Destory whats left of him.
    Heres one of my tank killing armies…

Hellcat
    M4A1 Sherman
    M3 Stuart
    P-51 Mustang
    Veteran Rhino Sherman

• I forget so I’ll ask: how many points is that Veteran Rhino? Cuz I’m wondering if you could ditch it in favor of another Stuart and something else. I’ve found that Stuarts work well in groups, like 2 or 3. They’re so friggin’ fast they just zip up a flank and either draw lots of attention or wind up getting behind the big tanks. But I dunno how much a VRS is worth, so I can’t come up with something to fill its shoes that would be more versatile, be more than one model, and still have the tank busting capabilities (even if they get slightly deminished).

I’m basically trying to find a way to tweak this new list above. Then I wanna try it.  :mrgreen:

Gawd I love this game.

-=Grim=-

• @GrimJesta:

I forget so I’ll ask: how many points is that Veteran Rhino? Cuz I’m wondering if you could ditch it in favor of another Stuart and something else. I’ve found that Stuarts work well in groups, like 2 or 3. They’re so friggin’ fast they just zip up a flank and either draw lots of attention or wind up getting behind the big tanks. But I dunno how much a VRS is worth, so I can’t come up with something to fill its shoes that would be more versatile, be more than one model, and still have the tank busting capabilities (even if they get slightly deminished).

I’m basically trying to find a way to tweak this new list above. Then I wanna try it.  :mrgreen:

Gawd I love this game.

-=Grim=-

http://www.triton-tek.com/aam/aam.asp?UnitID=73

Its worth 26 points.  In case you need info on other units……just look at the scroll list at the bottom.  :wink:

• Personally, I’ve never liked the Engineers.

• 10 Points is a lot.
    • They have to close into the same hex to do anything to a vehicle.
    • He can only ‘catch’ tanks which are disrupted or have been pinned (units with decent AT stats on opposite sides so any movement will provoke defencive fire from one of them).
    • If the AFV is already pinned, what do you need the Engineer for?
    • They’re useless against the extremely popular SS-Determination and Veteran Crew units (SS PzIVF2, SS Panther, M4 Rhino).
    • They’re pretty useless at ranges greater than… well. 0.
    • For 10 points I can get two bazookas and have 2 points left over. or get 2 flamethrowers. or a combination of both.
    • Bazookas can threaten even heavy tanks at short range, and lighter AFVs at medium range.
    • Flamethrowers can threaten any adjacent unit in the game.  Even though they can’t flame them, against aircraft they still have 10 dice if adjacent.
    • Two Bazookas/Flamethowers can spread out, cover more ground… flank enemy units. Etc.
    • If you’re going first the Engineer drops off in front of the tank which then simply moves away.
    • If you go second then the enemy gets to fire at the engineer with AI units, and can still move away with the tank if he wants.
    • Add to all that; IF the Engineer does make it into the hex he can’t even do anything that turn
    • If he’s disrupted the tank can still move away.

And that’s why I don’t like Engineers.  :-P

Sure they can get up to disrupted one (that is assuming they aren’t blown away by enemy AI fire, which you can reasonably expect will be concentrated on the Engineer).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m