HISTORICAL DECALS for American Carriers.

• Just wondering if anyone had found decals that match the designation numbers for the American Carriers. I have found lots of custom decals by others. Just not the numbers that match Yorktown,Enterprise, Hornet, Lexington. Am I just missing it? Everyone here is pretty detailed historically so I think I am just missing it somewhere. Can anyone direct me? Thank you

• Sponsor

@Sgt-Mclusky Hello, I make custom ship deck decals. What specifically are you looking for? Perhaps I can create something for you. You can visit my site www.axisandalliesboardgaming.com to see samples of what I produce.

• @grdhou nothing crazy. Looking to put together decals that have matching numbers for the American carriers. Lexington, Enterprise, Yorktown and Hornet. I think I have seen your paint work from a site. Looks amazing. What are the prices for something like a painted up Usa player from the 1940 global game? I would be interested in trying to put together a full painted game set over time. I would mail you the pieces. Starting with Usa player.

• Sponsor

The E40 & P40 USA fleets are identical. So the Global 40 game would be 2x the standard fleet. I differentiate between the sets so the carrier deck numbers remain unique. The Pacific 1940 set has carrier deck numbers 1-4 while Europe 1940 has numbers 5-8. All other ships are identical between sets.

I can customize different deck numbers for a small extra charge. For instance, if you want the numbering to start with the Lexington (CV-2) and go consecutively from there (ie. 2-11), I can do that. If you want more customization that just deck numbers, it’s best that you email me directly with the details.

You can go onto my website at https://www.axisandalliesboardgaming.com/USA_-_Fleet_Sets/p6576831_20056833.aspx and order an E40 & P40 sets. If all you only want deck numbers changed, you can put that in order comments.

• Depending on the level of historical accuracy which individual players might want, one thing to keep in mind about the CV numbers of the earliest American carriers is that a couple of them identify vessels which were not true fleet carriers. CV-1, Langley, America’s first flattop, was originally a collier; she was converted into an experimental carrier, was small and slow (she could barely exceed 15 knots), and by 1937 had been converted to a seaplane carrier. CV-4, Ranger, was America’s first purpose-built carrier, and was twice as fast as Langley, but was about 10,000 tons smaller than the Yorktown class, and as I recall most or all of her WWII service was in the Atlantic/Mediterranean theatre, against two countries (Germany and Italy) with no operational fleet carriers in their navies.

• @CWO-Marc said in HISTORICAL DECALS for American Carriers.:

{snip}
    CV-4, Ranger, was America’s first purpose-built carrier, and was twice as fast as Langley, but was about 10,000 tons smaller than the Yorktown class, and as I recall most or all of her WWII service was in the Atlantic/Mediterranean theatre, against two countries (Germany and Italy) with no operational fleet carriers in their navies.

Admiral King, the chief of the US Navy during World War II, wanted to refit the Ranger and send her to the Pacific. When his staff told him that the refit would cost just as much as a new-build Essex-class carrier, he changed his mind. The Ranger would be the only US carrier that was in commission on December 7th, 1941, to not face the Japanese Navy in World War II. Of course, not facing the Japanese Navy in no way prevented the Ranger from seeing action in World War II, just in the North African and European theaters.

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m