What the hell did they do to ruin this game?
The so called update made what was a 5 minute operation to complete my turn into a 30 minute fiasco. Why? because the two aspects of changes to make the arrow lines more narrow fell on deaf ears. In fact the arrows are much wider and you basically need to perform two additional tasks to “see” what the enemy has. It was much simpler before. The second was the clicking on your own units especially transports and loading them. For whatever reason this was an issue and it only got worse and some stupid glitching is preventing clicking a unit to load and moving it 2 spaces. The issue again is the thickness of the arrows preventing a recognizable space to move too due to many lines.
The dice roller is another pile of crap. It is not random and is privy to “tit for tat” . This is if the attacker hits in small battles with ridiculous force, somehow by osmosis the defender hits on nearly every roll, reducing the attackers advantage to an even pitched battle. So the attacker takes the same loses regardless of how many units he has. No matter what “the makers” say about this they are wrong. I got like 400 hours into this game and my impressions are more justified than anybody who works for the company that makes the game.
The fixing of the Americas was a welcome change, but the battle dialog staggers and looks choppy. The request to retreat is sometimes missed for those who want a fast battle , which ruins games potentially. The music is still boring and i wish each nation had its own theme playing during your turn. I see some other graphic changes made and they improve the look of the map.
WE should have the choice of dice rollers in the game and you should be able to edit the units for our own purposes. lastly, all units should roll at once. Their are too many levels of combat and waste even more time. Players can easily see which units hit by clicking the dialog that displays this.
I just started playing this iteration of AA42SE. My only point of comparison is both GTO and AAA. I turned off all the animations and audio because that is of no interest to me so I can’t address those aspects of the game. I do find the movement arrow lines to be a significant problem. Once you get a mixed force of inf and aircraft into a territory, things get blocked. I can’t see the enemy units. I can’t see if I left guys behind when attacking. If I’m doing amphib assaults it takes forever to make the initial move cause it’s a jumbled mess of yellow and red lines. Amphib attacks from multiple locations to a single location such as Baltic took me 20 minutes to move, undo all, move, check, undo, move and check the units I moved. It’s very confusing and very time consuming and I still find I left a couple of units behind! That’s not counting all the capital ships I’m moving. I’m slowly getting used to the loading/unloading protocol. My preference is drag and drop loading/unloading. That may not be on the horizon but I wish it was. I find the movement of units sometimes lags when I right click. I can move a lot faster but find myself waiting to make sure the system understands the commands I thought I made. I’m a user - not a programmer so anything you could do to speed up the game would be appreciated. I played one complete practice game as Allies against the stupid Axis AI. A 6 turn game would normally take about 4 hours. My practice game took around 10 hours. The turn lengths mean I probably can’t play a live game to it’s conclusion. That’s unfortunate as my alternative is to go back to AAA. I really want this version to continue on. Sure, I hate the dice at times but I’m not going to comment on dice as long as you assure everyone that you are using random dice. Fog of war and all that kind of BS.
- You state “pick 1” in the caption and behold some jack picks all three allies and you have no way to boot him or communicate to him. Wonderful… Nice game.
- The caption script is too short BTW
- Next is the “ranked play” is full of 1 vs. 1 players. AA is a game of teams, just like the real war when factions either didn’t communicate with other as to where they attack or whom. Each nation had its own objectives for its own national interest. The whole point of playing is to react/plan to how other players execute their turns and you interpret whats going on. Its not Terminator Algorithm control of perfect syncopation of three Allied nations performance art. The developers don’t allow anybody to “see” who’s waiting in a game and your stuck playing one guy. Don’t they want multiple games of 4-5 players which make the game more popular, or just 2 people? This is a great mistake IMO.
- The lines of attack are still too thick and overlap units and its hard to see
- loading transports is difficult: usually each transport loads just one infantry each, then you move it and its in the wrong sea zone!
- Too many times in combat the rolling of dice locks up the game
- Why does my strategic bombing have results of “1” like every time?
- Too many "5"and “6” results in combat…especially with bombers and battleships. having 2 bombers/battleships --they never both roll 4 or less… always just one hits if i have 2.
- Too many times attacking at overwhelming odds, the defender kills equal to its IPC value every time… ridiculous!