[1914] Contested Territories - An Interesting Tweak?

• I find it odd that a single unit can be used to stop an army of 50 divisions. Given that a single turn can make the difference because your enemy can stop you cold with a lone infantry, I was wondering if a small tweak would be interesting.

The tweak would be that units contesting a territory can only “hold up” 3 times as many units on the enemy side, allowing said enemy to move “through” and continue the attack in other areas.

For example, if the attacking side has 20 land divisions and the defense has 3, the attacker could choose to move “through” with up to 11 units (being forced to leave 3*3 = 9 divisions to fight) and attack an area behind the enemy lines or to the side. To do this, the attacker would be forced to commit to an assault on the 3 divisions; it can’t just move through without fighting them.

The number could be tweaked and there’s probably a ton of ramifications I haven’t thought about, so feel free to point out pros and cons. I just feel that stopping gigantic armies with minimal forces is very advantageous for the defender, which is usually the Allies. Giving the opportunity to move troops around would make for more aggressive and interesting plays. It would force the defender to choose to either sacrifice more armies for the delaying actions or just plain retreat and give that space entirely.

Let me know how you would implement this !

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

I don’t play 1914 but here’s a couple of ideas to look at ? Have it were defender needs 2 or 3 inf to block. And we use for ships 1-3 2-6
    Ship senerio would be blocking ships need to killed before rest of ships can move.
    You could do same for inf or gr. 1 gr blocks 3 gr 2 gr block 6 but of course tweaking this will be the challenge with play testing of course.

I like the one where so many inf need to block this way defender is forced to defend with more pieces. At least it’s a change but not a breaker

• @Arreghas I really love this idea!
    One of the biggest problems I find in my games is stacking. Its not as fun when the game just comes down to two giant stacks on the western front, and the CPs can never win because they can never get enough guys there. However, I think this house rule combined with Economic and Political Collapse could fix that problem and give the game more of a trench warfare feel. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m