• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hey guys,

Just wanted some clarity… with Anniversary’s 2017 Reprint, I seem to recall that AA guns were updated to match the same rules as 1942SE and Global 40, essentially being AAA.

I also recall that tanks were brought into alignment, cost 6.

I can’t seem to get a straight answer anywhere online, and I gave away my reprinted copy (AAz event winnings) whilst it was still new in the box.

I note that TripleA versions of the game have AAA’s and $6 tanks… can anyone officially clarify?

This came up recently when playing Gencon’s AA50 Tournament rules… would be interesting to see if an update is needed…

• You can look this up yourself by going to the WotC/Avalon Hill website and downloading the rule book (https://avalonhill.wizards.com/rules). That said:

A&A Anniversary 2017 Reprint Rule Book, Page 25:

Tanks
    Description: Heavy-hitting and fast-moving units.
    Cost: 5
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 3
    Move: 2
    Special Abilities Blitz: {snip}

Antiaircraft Guns
    Description: These units represent extensive antiaircraft defenses.
    Cost: 6
    Attack: —
    Defense: 1
    Move: 1 (noncombat only)

I hope that helps.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Gargantua There have not been any rule changes, neither in OOB nor in TripleA. The reprinted rulebook includes the errata and most of the official FAQ. For the optional rules you still need the FAQ-sheet.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The reprint could have re-organized the setup charts, which are not very rationally laid out and appear to just wander around the area and put the units in a different order in each list. In the better organized versions, the lists are alphabetical, or some snake around the land then the sea–but it would be more rational to have some uniformity to that, rather than just a messy list without any rhyme or reason.

As to the tournament rules, the game is VASTLY different in that setting than OOB. The NOs add a ton of money, the tech adds a lot of randomness. I think the tech favors the allies because they are well-positioned to invest in that starting on turn 1, and would probably make better use of most of the random outcomes than the Axis.

I find both games to be quite imbalanced, towards the Allies. There are no other maps where fighters can fly in one move from US to London, then from London unblockably to Moscow (over the top, 4 moves). There are more layers of buffer territories for moscow–almost as many territories in the “maze” as global. In the 42 scenario, the Germans just punch themselves out really quickly trying to fight in the russian maze. And the 5$ tanks are a big boon for Russia because it can fight Germany on even terms. You might argue that goes both ways, but in most of our 41 and 42 games, Germany has to buy DEFENSIVELY, all game–not just $5 tanks. The Allies have easy choices of what to buy–tanks for russia and fighters for the other two powers, until Russia is absolutely untakable. India without a factory is a lost cause. Both setups are an easy 5-turn KGF, OOB.

In the tourney, its a 6 turn game with less than a 6 bid for either side. The Allies won 1-2 more games than the Axis did, in 2018, under these parameters. I think the only way this is possible is for the Axis to grab Sydney, India, Karelia, and then hold those, plus the original Axis cities. They can lose 1 and still win a tie, I believe.

Not having watched the invitational games in detail, that’s the only conclusion I can draw from the available data.

• @taamvan said in Anniversary 2017 Reprint - rule changes?:

There are no other maps where fighters can fly in one move from US to London, then from London unblockably to Moscow (over the top, 4 moves).

Hmm. Classic, Revised, and Anniversary can have a fighter make it from Washington DC to Moscow in 2 turns.

• @taamvan said in Anniversary 2017 Reprint - rule changes?:

The reprint could have re-organized the setup charts, which are not very rationally laid out and appear to just wander around the area and put the units in a different order in each list. In the better organized versions, the lists are alphabetical, or some snake around the land then the sea–but it would be more rational to have some uniformity to that, rather than just a messy list without any rhyme or reason.

As to the tournament rules, the game is VASTLY different in that setting than OOB. The NOs add a ton of money, the tech adds a lot of randomness. I think the tech favors the allies because they are well-positioned to invest in that starting on turn 1, and would probably make better use of most of the random outcomes than the Axis.

I find both games to be quite imbalanced, towards the Allies. There are no other maps where fighters can fly in one move from US to London, then from London unblockably to Moscow (over the top, 4 moves). There are more layers of buffer territories for moscow–almost as many territories in the “maze” as global. In the 42 scenario, the Germans just punch themselves out really quickly trying to fight in the russian maze. And the 5$ tanks are a big boon for Russia because it can fight Germany on even terms. You might argue that goes both ways, but in most of our 41 and 42 games, Germany has to buy DEFENSIVELY, all game–not just $5 tanks. The Allies have easy choices of what to buy–tanks for russia and fighters for the other two powers, until Russia is absolutely untakable. India without a factory is a lost cause. Both setups are an easy 5-turn KGF, OOB.

In the tourney, its a 6 turn game with less than a 6 bid for either side. The Allies won 1-2 more games than the Axis did, in 2018, under these parameters. I think the only way this is possible is for the Axis to grab Sydney, India, Karelia, and then hold those, plus the original Axis cities. They can lose 1 and still win a tie, I believe.

Not having watched the invitational games in detail, that’s the only conclusion I can draw from the available data.

This is an odd reply to a question about the rules being reprinted…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m