• Hello, after playing several times AA42 revised, I now bought AAWOI and read the rulebook. I have some questions :

• Optional rule russian revolution : is it advised to play this option while playing for the first time WO I ? Why do they introduce this optional rule ? To fortify the position of the Central powers ?
    • Naval mine fields : When the adjacent territory of a naval base has been taken over by the enemy, does this rule also counts for ships from the original controller ?
    • Errata WWI : I don’t understand the meaning of the adjustment for Page 15, Phase 2 , movement land units. What’s the impact of the difference with the original text ?
  • 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@COJOH said in Beginner - questions:

• Optional rule russian revolution : is it advised to play this option while playing for the first time WO I ? Why do they introduce this optional rule ? To fortify the position of the Central powers ?

For a beginner (or beginners) playing their first game, no. It’s an optional rule to balance out the fact that the Central Powers are far weaker than the Entente. There is an updated “tournament rules” document in this board that even expands the “Russian Revolution” rules to apply to every other country in the game.

No clue on your other two questions, sorry. Just wanted to say hi to another 1914 player.

• @COJOH said in Beginner - questions:

This rule isn’t necessarily intended to affect the balance of the game. Whether or not you use it in your first game is totally up to you.

• Naval mine fields : When the adjacent territory of a naval base has been taken over by the enemy, does this rule also counts for ships from the original controller ?

No.

• Errata WWI : I don’t understand the meaning of the adjustment for Page 15, Phase 2 , movement land units. What’s the impact of the difference with the original text ?

There are two differences. One is that the modified text clarifies that the conditions that allow movement into a territory must have existed at the beginning of your turn, rather than the somewhat ambiguous “already” existed. The other is that it drops the requirement that a non-controlled territory be contested to be eligible, which is present in the original text.

• @Krieghund : Tks a lot for your reply, very kindfull. I’ll play the game with my brother next week during a short hollyday in France.
    Greetings from Belgium !

• @DoManMacgee : Tks a lot and hi back from Belgium !

• @Krieghund : still a remark for the naval base. I meant the territory in which the naval base is located but I think we agree about that.
    But why is it written on page 15 “Naval Mine Fields” : “…At the end of this phase, the player controlling the corresponding territory (or the original controller if it’s contested) rolls one…etc” ? Why just not writing that it is only the original controller who can roll the mine dies if he controls the territory, contested of not ?

• Official Q&A

Because another power on the same side as the original controller can possibly be in control of the mine field if the original controller’s capital is held by the enemy, in which case the mine field would be operational. See the sentence before the one you quoted, as well as “Taking Control of a Territory” on page 20.

• @Krieghund : Ok, now I see it. Tks Krieghund.

• @COJOH Hey mate, if there is a suggestion to play with the tournament rules, I would second this with a bid of at least 12 to the CP. Good luck and have fun!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m