Imagine there is an area controlled by Zs (a Z control marker is there) and contains Zs.
You can during the course of a turn clear this territory from all Zs. While still not getting control of the very area.
I try to list all instances in which this can happen. If I missed some: please let us know and post them here. Thanks in advance of course.
(1) COMBAT: You attack this area . You destroy all Zs but you have no surviving land units.
(2) COMBAT: You attack this area with air units only.
To be strict: this is of course a special case of ‘case (1)’.
(3) TECH: You move all Zs out of this area with the Deadnapper Convoy Technology.
This happens in your non-combat move.
(4) TECH: If there is only one Z… Move this single Z out of the area with the ZMCR technology.
EDIT April 27 2021: I am afraid I made a mistake here. To use the ZMCR you must have at least one unit is this area. Which means that it is NOT Z-controlled.
(5) CARD: If there is only one Z… Move this single Z out of the area with the Decoy Team card.
This cannot happen with the Z Conscription card or the Z Domestication card. As you must have one of your units in that area to use that card in that very area. Which means you (or an ally) controls this area. Thus that very area is NOT Z-controlled.
EDIT April 27 2021: Same is true for the ZMCR technology (Tech-6)
Did I miss a situation in which this could happen?
Handy pic of the technology chard: https://techraptor.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/axis-allies-zombies-tech-chart.jpg
Idea for this thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2119203/liberating-zombie-controlled-territories