JDOW Axis vs Simon (Allies+8) BM3

• '15 '14

TripleA Turn Summary: Italians round 2

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 Balanced Mod3, version: 3.3

Game History

Round: 2

Purchase Units - Italians
            Italians buy 2 infantry and 1 transport; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Politics - Italians
            Italians takes Political Action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians
                Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Italians and Russians from Neutrality to War
                Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Russians and British from Neutrality to Allied
                Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Russians and UK_Pacific from Neutrality to Allied
                Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Russians and ANZAC from Neutrality to Allied
                Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Russians and French from Neutrality to Allied
                Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Russians and Neutral_Allies from Neutrality to Friendly_Neutral
                Italians succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Russians and Neutral_Axis from Neutrality to Unfriendly_Neutral
            Trigger Russians Allied Americans 3: Changing Relationship for Russians and Americans from Neutrality to Allied

Combat Move - Italians
            1 armour moved from Romania to Bessarabia
                  Italians take Bessarabia from Russians
            1 artillery moved from Algeria to Morocco
            1 infantry moved from Algeria to Morocco
            1 artillery moved from Tunisia to 94 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Algeria to 94 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 94 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from 92 Sea Zone to Gibraltar
            1 artillery moved from 92 Sea Zone to Gibraltar
            1 artillery moved from Algeria to 94 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 transport moved from 94 Sea Zone to 98 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Alexandria to 98 Sea Zone
            1 artillery moved from 98 Sea Zone to Trans-Jordan
            1 infantry moved from 98 Sea Zone to Trans-Jordan
            1 armour, 1 artillery, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from Alexandria to Egypt
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Anglo Egyptian Sudan to Egypt
            1 fighter moved from Libya to Morocco
            1 cruiser moved from 94 Sea Zone to 98 Sea Zone
            1 battleship moved from 94 Sea Zone to 98 Sea Zone

Combat - Italians
            Battle in Gibraltar
            Battle in Trans-Jordan
                Italians attack with 1 artillery and 1 infantry
                French defend with 1 infantry
                    Italians roll dice for 1 battleship and 1 cruiser in Trans-Jordan, round 2 : 1/2 hits, 1,17 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 infantry in Trans-Jordan, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the French lost in Trans-Jordan
                Italians win, taking Gibraltar from British, taking Trans-Jordan from British with 1 artillery and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for French: 1 infantry
            Battle in Morocco
                Italians attack with 1 artillery, 1 fighter and 1 infantry
                French defend with 1 infantry
                    Italians roll dice for 1 artillery, 1 fighter and 1 infantry in Morocco, round 2 : 0/3 hits, 1,17 expected hits
                    French roll dice for 1 infantry in Morocco, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    Italians roll dice for 1 artillery, 1 fighter and 1 infantry in Morocco, round 3 : 3/3 hits, 1,17 expected hits
                    French roll dice for 1 infantry in Morocco, round 3 : 1/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the French and 1 infantry owned by the Italians lost in Morocco
                Italians win, taking Morocco from French with 1 artillery and 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Italians: 1 infantry
                Casualties for French: 1 infantry
            Battle in Egypt
                Italians attack with 1 armour, 2 artilleries, 3 infantry and 1 mech_infantry
                British defend with 1 harbour; ANZAC defend with 2 infantry
                    Italians roll dice for 1 armour, 2 artilleries, 3 infantry and 1 mech_infantry in Egypt, round 2 : 2/7 hits, 2,17 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 2 infantry in Egypt, round 2 : 1/2 hits, 0,67 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the ANZAC and 1 infantry owned by the Italians lost in Egypt
                Italians win, taking Egypt from British with 1 armour, 2 artilleries, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Italians: 1 infantry
                Casualties for ANZAC: 2 infantry

Non Combat Move - Italians
            1 submarine moved from 93 Sea Zone to 87 Sea Zone
            1 armour moved from Slovakia Hungary to Bessarabia
            2 infantry moved from Bulgaria to Romania
            2 aaGuns and 2 infantry moved from Yugoslavia to Romania
            1 cruiser moved from 94 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Kenya to Anglo Egyptian Sudan
            1 fighter moved from Morocco to Algeria

Place Units - Italians
            2 infantry placed in Northern Italy
            1 transport placed in 97 Sea Zone

Turn Complete - Italians
            Italians collect 18 PUs; end with 18 PUs
            Objective Italians 1 Control The Mediterranean: Italians met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 23 PUs
            Objective Italians 3 North Africa Control: Italians met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 28 PUs
            Objective Italians 2 Roman Empire: Italians met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 33 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Italians : 0,33
    British : 0,00
    French : 0,33

Savegame

• '19 '17 '16

TripleA Turn Summary: French round 2

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 Balanced Mod3, version: 3.3

Game History

Round: 2

Purchase Units - ANZAC
            ANZAC buy 2 infantry and 1 transport; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 

Combat Move - ANZAC
            1 fighter moved from Queensland to Hawaiian Islands

Non Combat Move - ANZAC
            1 cruiser and 1 destroyer moved from 54 Sea Zone to 26 Sea Zone
            2 fighters moved from Java to India
            1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from New South Wales to Queensland

Place Units - ANZAC
            1 transport placed in 62 Sea Zone
            2 infantry placed in New South Wales

Turn Complete - ANZAC
            ANZAC collect 14 PUs; end with 15 PUs
            Objective ANZAC 3 Pacific Supply Lines: ANZAC met a national objective for an additional 3 PUs; end with 18 PUs
            Objective ANZAC 2 Control Strategic Islands: ANZAC met a national objective for an additional 3 PUs; end with 21 PUs

Combat Move - French
            1 destroyer moved from 79 Sea Zone to 77 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Nigeria to French Equatorial Africa

Non Combat Move - French

Turn Complete - French

Savegame

• '15 '14

TripleA Turn Summary: Germans round 3

Game History

Round: 3

Research Technology - Germans

Purchase Units - Germans
            Germans buy 1 destroyer, 3 fighters and 4 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Politics - Germans
            Germans takes Political Action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians
                Germans succeeds on action: Political Action Axis To War With Russians: Changing Relationship for Germans and Russians from Neutrality to War

Combat Move - Germans
            1 infantry moved from Poland to Baltic States
                  Germans take Baltic States from Russians
            1 infantry moved from Poland to Eastern Poland
                  Germans take Eastern Poland from Russians
            1 mech_infantry moved from Romania to Western Ukraine
                  Germans take Western Ukraine from Russians
            1 submarine moved from 101 Sea Zone to 116 Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from 101 Sea Zone to 88 Sea Zone

Combat - Germans

Non Combat Move - Germans
            1 infantry moved from Poland to Baltic States
            1 aaGun moved from Poland to Baltic States
            1 infantry moved from Poland to 114 Sea Zone
            1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 114 Sea Zone to 113 Sea Zone
            1 armour moved from Germany to 113 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from 113 Sea Zone to Norway
            1 armour moved from 113 Sea Zone to Norway
            7 infantry moved from Finland to Norway
            1 fighter moved from Algeria to Gibraltar
            1 fighter and 3 tactical_bombers moved from Algeria to Western Germany
            2 bombers moved from Southern Italy to Western Germany
            1 infantry moved from Yugoslavia to 97 Sea Zone
            2 mech_infantrys moved from Romania to Eastern Poland
            1 aaGun moved from Poland to Eastern Poland
            5 armour moved from Romania to Eastern Poland
            4 armour and 2 mech_infantrys moved from Yugoslavia to Eastern Poland
            3 armour and 6 mech_infantrys moved from Germany to Eastern Poland
            3 aaGuns, 5 artilleries and 25 infantry moved from Romania to Bessarabia
            5 mech_infantrys moved from Western Germany to Poland
            1 armour moved from Holland Belgium to Germany
            1 infantry moved from Holland Belgium to Western Germany
            1 artillery moved from Holland Belgium to Western Germany
            1 artillery moved from Normandy Bordeaux to France
            1 aaGun moved from Western Germany to France
            1 mech_infantry moved from Southern France to Yugoslavia
            1 artillery moved from Normandy Bordeaux to France
            1 armour and 1 mech_infantry moved from Normandy Bordeaux to Northern Italy
            1 submarine moved from 112 Sea Zone to 113 Sea Zone
            1 cruiser moved from 114 Sea Zone to 113 Sea Zone

Place Units - Germans
            1 destroyer placed in 113 Sea Zone
            3 fighters placed in Western Germany
            4 mech_infantrys placed in Germany

Turn Complete - Germans
            Total Cost from Convoy Blockades: 3
                Rolling for Convoy Blockade Damage in 125 Sea Zone. Rolls: 2,2
            Germans collect 45 PUs (3 lost to blockades); end with 45 PUs
            Trigger Germans 5 Swedish Iron Ore: Germans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 50 PUs

Savegame

• '19 '17 '16

Perhaps this game is already over. Forcing Japan to forgo IC purchases J2 when they didn’t buy any J1 seems a minor victory but you’ll catch up. Not having many ground troops might have been a problem for Japan had they not been able to hold on in Yunnan C1.

The funny thing is if I’d followed my dubious theory on getting a US landing on Norway US3, I would have been able to pull it off this game. The Luftwaffe wasn’t thinned enough for the fleet to fight and survive but I guess surviving UK ships could have merged with it and put some hurt on them if they attacked.

And if I had have not been stingy and bought the US naval base US2, I’d have had options to go after the Carolines. Interestingly, that doesn’t look so great anyway.

• '15 '14

Hi Simon,

Regarding Japan. Not building ICs is not a problem for Japan so far. I usually don’t start buying them before J3 anyway as I prefer Fic and Malaya for placement. Ground support will also be fine for Japan. I brought an additional 4 units to the main land in J2 and have 4 units to bring over in J3. This is more than enough, and, as you said, thanks to the Yunnan survivors Japan is well supplied with ground units.

“The funny thing is if I’d followed my dubious theory on getting a US landing on Norway US3, I would have been able to pull it off this game. The Luftwaffe wasn’t thinned enough for the fleet to fight and survive but I guess surviving UK ships could have merged with it and put some hurt on them if they attacked.”

Kind of a bold statement ;) I am afraid, I cannot follow here at all. I don’t see how the US could ever have a landing in Norway in turn 3 that Axis could neither block off nor prevent by stacking Norway or setting up a counter attack.

“And if I had have not been stingy and bought the US naval base US2, I’d have had options to go after the Carolines. Interestingly, that doesn’t look so great anyway.”
    I don’t see the point in pushing North with the US when Japan can easily hold sz6 in turn 2. I had too much fleet at Caro I could bring back, thus it is not worth the effort for the US. Even with the NB, I could have easily protected Carolines with planes.
    This kind of push would work better with 18 Russians in Siberia and Japan that may have moved it’s entire fleet to sz 36 or so and that does not have the potential to defend sz6.
    This way, Japan does not have to do much but hold sz6 and is then uncontested in claiming money islands and Guam. In fact, Japan won’t lose a single transport next turn when taking 4 islands. Usually, Japan is supposed to lose 3 TTs for that.

Based on your post, I am not sure, will you continue?

Best regards,
    Tobias

• '19 '17 '16

Let me have a bit of a think about it tonight but I’m inclined to call this one. Italy is going to be hard to stop, as is Japan. Germany has lost a few planes but not enough that it can’t take Bryansk, Novgorod and Stalingrad in reasonable time.

• '19 '17 '16

Just posted your result.

Sorry about the non competitiveness of this game. Some of it was dice, but dice helped you exploit some weaknesses I’d left.

I still didn’t really expect it to be game ending to lose the Yunnan battle C1. That certainly wasn’t the only issue but the impact was larger than I was thinking. My attack was ~85%. Doesn’t seem that dodgy but perhaps given the consequences it was.

• '15 '14

Thanks for the games. As you said, it was a combination of both, bad dice and some dubious decisions, 2-3 of them.

1. You absolutely need to kill the subs in 91 in UK 1 instead of attacking those in 106. I know you were unaware of the potential attack in 92, so for next time :-)
      Also, don’t take a fighter down when attacking the bismarck but take the DD or cruiser into this battle and keep the air alive
    2. I personally always go for 5 inf + fig at Yunnan, anything below 95% would be unacceptable to be.

However, my G1 dice and J1 dice have been great, so maybe it was ok to already increase the risk level slightly.

Best,
    Tobias

• '19 '17 '16

Regarding the dd, I did think about that move but it gave you too attractive odds to attack my fleet, in my judgement anyway. Also I was still able to fully populate three airbase on Gibraltar so I’m not sure if I lost anything there. Perhaps if I had lost sz96.

Regarding Norway, the move I had in mind was :
    Us1 buy 2tt, dd, cv, fighter for sz101
    Us2 move fleet to sz123, land 3 planes on Iceland. If you moved the German cruiser to sz124, attack with USSR sub and planes. Still attack if cruiser and dd. Perhaps such a US buy would have caused you to buy a dd g2.
    Also ussr3, take Finland with force.
    Us3 attack Norway, unless the entire Luftwaffe is there. Land planes on Finland. No need to move the cv in unless it can survive.

The biggest problem here is if Japan doesn’t Dow by j2 the soviets are left holding their *****.
    Next problem is that us can’t build an
    Ic on Finland, which is much more of a threat to Germany than the one on Norway. If Germany has to build a fleet of transports to fight USA, that is a win in itself.

I think you’re right about USA going north against Japan. I’ve always loved the idea of getting on Korea but it seems if Japan doesn’t make some kind of miscue, they should be able to hold Korea against the us. And not putting the Max fleet in sz54 held an Anzac plane in qld, which wasn’t where I wanted it.

Thanks for the games. I feel like I’ve learned a lot here. Even ignoring that I shouldn’t have attacked sz106, I should not have counted on UK victory when doing my us move.

• '15 '14

Hi Simon,

thanks for sharing. I see many of those “kill one axis power with force” strategies in the G40 forum and I am not a believer of them.

In general, I think the game is designed that Axis is too powerful at the beginning that enables them to withstand any of these “KGF” oder “KJF” strategies, especially if they aim to achieve something major in the first 3-4 turns.
    In case, Axis is played by an experienced player, I believe there is always a thoughtful response the Axis have to that kind of aggression that thwart the Allied plans and leave the Axis in an even stronger position because usually, the side in the other theatre will get out of control then soon.

I believe the major problem is that players try that stuff against inexperienced players that are overwhelmed by that kind of aggression and make mistakes then. However, once the play against a good player, they will learn that the strategy won’t work on a high level.

I think this is a bit comparable with gambits or very aggressive openings in chess. While mediocre players are often outplayed by these because they do not find the right response quick enough, the top competition knows how to respond and will the aggressive player leave with a disadvantage.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m