• During WWII, when small nations were conquered, military personnel, and civil servants would flee the country, set up a government in exile, and continue the fight. Based on this, here is my proposal for nations who have lost their capital (like France), but may continue to collect income, build limited units, to continue the fight!

Let me know what you think, if it can be simplified, or tweaked in any way.

GOVERNMENT IN EXILE
    Once a Nation has lost its Capital, the conquering Power still collects that Nation’s current IPCs. Their Government goes into Exile in a designated Ally’s Capital, known as a “Host”.

On the conquered nation’s next turn, they begin their turn with no IPCs, but may collect income for any original territories they still control on their Collect Income Phase.

However, if the Host’s Capital is captured as well, they lose their IPCs for a second time, and may not continue to collect IPCs until their own Capital is liberated.

LIMITED PRODUCTION
    Governments in Exile may not produce the full range of Units during their Purchase units phase. They may build Infantry in any original territories (equal to that territory’s IPC value), even if they liberated it on that turn (just like China), at any Industrial Complex still in their possession, or at a Host’s Industrial Complex.

A GiE can also purchase the following units, which must be placed at any Industrial Complex still in their control, or at a Host’s Industrial Complex: Artillery, Fighters, Transports, Destroyers.

HOST PAIRINGS
    When a nation goes into exile, they set up their government in the following Capitals. Note that Russia, China, and Japan may not set up a Government in Exile.

Germany: Rome
    Russia: No Host. May only build Infantry when in Exile.
    Japanese: No Host. May only build Infantry when in Exile.
    USA: San Francisco
    China: NA
    UK: Ottawa
    FEC: Sydney
    Italy: Berlin
    ANZAC: Calcutta or San Francisco
    France: London

EXAMPLE
    When France is captured on G1, Germany takes France’s IPCs, and the French set up a Government in Exile in London . On F1, they make any Combat/Non-Combat movements, and Collect Income for any French territories that they still posses.

Assuming that on the F1 Collect Income Phase, France has lost mainland France, Tunisia, and French Indochina, they would collect 7 IPCs. On F2, they could buy 1 Infantry, and 1 Artillery. On the F2 place units phase, the Infantry may be placed in Syria, but the Artillery must be placed in a UK Europe IC.

If Germany conducts Sealion, and takes London, France looses their IPCs once again, and may not collect income until Paris is liberated. UK’s Government goes into Exile in Ottawa, and continues the war effort.

• For clarification, UK Europe, and USA are their own Hosts. ANZAC may choose whether FEC or USA is their Host.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Looks interesting. Are Infantry placement limited to TTy value ? So one can’t place 2 infantry on a 1 value TTy ?

Have u playtested this much ?

Seems pretty cool, although @Charles-de-Gaulle might take offense to France being Classified as a “small nation” :)

• @barnee That’s a great idea! I’ll give it a try.

I haven’t had the chance to play test it with a group, only solitaire. It keeps the (cough) mighty nation of France in the game, and gives them something to do. Also, when Rome is captured, they can continue to fight on like the real world Italian Social Republic. While it doesn’t make Sealion less likely, it has less of an impact on the game beyond the cash grab for Germany.

• @barnee I updated the rule to include the limit of Infantry production, as per your suggestion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m