2018 Championship Final: JDOW vs Adam (Allies+12) BM3“

• '19 '17

It would have been 4 planes that could reach Carolines, since I need to keep a carrier for a potential pickup for the fighter for the BB attack.

The plan was to block Sumatra with French DD making India not very enticing, take Korea and Manchuria and advance with Chinese. Then you’d have to choose between committing everything to India and letting the Allies in the Pacific for a few turns, enough that I wouldn’t go for India if I were you in that position. I don’t think Japan would have been in that good of a position if everything went well in this US turn.

I’m a big fan of 92 stack personally, and your German opening made the 92 stack an even better move relative to other options. I wouldn’t have done anything differently this game.

• '15 '14

Yeah, UK harbour at Persia would have had its merits. With 5 ground units less, the India attack would have been more dicey, but still with an average TUV of +9 which is still good for Japan in order to take India for good in J.

Re 92 opener. Yep, I saw that preference in your game, that’s why the sub98 bid surprised me.
    It made me buy that extra bomber in G1 in order to have better air strike options on 97 in case you made a Taranto.

But I agree, the 98 sub makes the 96 attack more comfortable, removes the 3% chance of failure and makes sure UK loses no plane there.
    WIthout Taranto I might have used that bid to maybe allow an attack with UK in Africa.

• '15 '14

@Adam514 said in 2018 Championship Final: JDOW vs Adam (Allies+12) BM3“:

I’m a big fan of 92 stack personally, and your German opening made the 92 stack an even better move relative to other options. I wouldn’t have done anything differently this game.

May I ask, what German opener would have discouraged you to stack 92?

• '19 '17

Something with some transport buy gives 90%+ on UK if 92 stack is done.

You’d need at least 2 planes to defend the landing sea zone too. As Japan I wouldn’t go for India in that situation.

I had some pretty good plans for Allies all around this round. I don’t think the Axis had the decisive advantage before the US turn.

• '15 '14

True. That would have made India dicey and most likely delayed the loss for a turn which would have made a difference. Comes with a rather useless harbour st persia though plus a chance that the Italian bomber gets lucky or forces an ab at persia too:-)

I could have done the India move better by saccing another 2dd to block US and then protect Sumatra better so that the French dd cannot block.

• '19 '17 '16

I feel like I’m missing something looking at this game. I’d be pretty ecstatic to have India J4 after a J2 DOW.

Besides that, even with a G1 buy of a CV & TT, to take down Gibraltar don’t you need to clear out the blockers with Italian air? Seems a risky attack with the French fighter still there for the scramble. Or are you (Adam) saying that you’d attack it G3.

• '15 '14

I think Adam might refer to the risk of a G2 sea lion in case UK sends too much to Gib. UK might be vulnerable against 3 TT and 12 air or so? But not sure.

“I feel like I’m missing something looking at this game. I’d be pretty ecstatic to have India J4 after a J2 DOW.”
    Me too, although the execution was sloppy by me. I overlooked the Allies’ option to block Sumatra with the French DD supported by a UK harbour.

The “correct” execution would have been to block the US fleet off Java saccing 2 DDs and then to protect both seazone, Java and Sumatra against any strikes. In this setup Japan will become a beast as India is taken with low concessions and I would have been very comfortable that Japan could have easily handled the Chinese and Russians, thanks for the extra money and thanks to the fact that 9 IPC for UK Pac will be permanently taken off the equation, although Allies can trade India for some time if they like.
    Still a long route from there but with the US fleet stuck at Caro with no harbour and not amphibious units for at least 3 turns, the Allies had to fight a nasty uphill battle and even with blocking the java fleet off India, the invasion is just postponed for one turn and will still come at low costs for Japan.
    I personally still think it is not worth to take a 7% risk at Caro to suffer a potentially game-ending defeat and I would have taken all 4 available air to that attack with no hesitation.

• '19 '17 '16

@JDOW said in 2018 Championship Final: JDOW vs Adam (Allies+12) BM3“:

I personally still think it is not worth to take a 7% risk at Caro to suffer a potentially game-ending defeat and I would have taken all 4 available air to that attack with no hesitation.

I’m inclined to agree. I’ve also lost a game due to losing such a battle.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@JDOW What happened here???
    One month without connecting and when I check to see how things are evolving in the expected 1st third of the game I find its over! Big surprise. I feel we have lost a great long term game to see.

Congrats to JDOW for the second consecutive very deserved win.

Congrats to Adam for having reached the final. It is always a great prize to reach the end of the competition and enjoy it.

Juan

• '15 '14

Thanks Juan.
    I guess the last posts did sum it up. First 2.5 rounds went smoothly for Axis, Allies felt under pressure and increased the risk level by not taking air to Caro. 7% chance of failure materialized and Adam decided not to fight an uphill battle from there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m