• Anyone try something a bit different, like a G2 larger sub buy for Germany?

Presumably something like 10 mechs and 6 subs would be useful. 6 subs plus 4 bombers gets you plenty of opportunities against Allied navy at Gibraltor or to start convoying England. But subs are soooo bad at defending it seems it would be easy to lose.

Anyone try something like this? Or anything else unusual?

• '21 '18 '16

@weddingsinger
    I’ve tried 5 subs on G1. you have to destroy the whole UK Fleet on G1 and then park in 112 assuming you got the UK navy except for 109. Park your cruiser in 112 and have 3 ftrs on standby to scramble.
    UK pretty much has to decide to hit these guys or do Taranto. They dont get both. you will likely be able to get 3 subs on SZ109 to convoy. It worked well for me but i had to invest in 2 more subs on G2 and then turned my attention to the East. for 12 IPC you can pretty much demolish the UK income until they build a dd in Canada. this helps you because it takes units from the Africa campaign. Combine the convoy action with some nicely timed strategic bombing and you can basically level UK to building in Egypt, Persia, and South Africa.
    I would say it was a different opener and fun to play it but not my normal setup.

• '17

This post is deleted!
  • '17

@seancb

I think a sub spam purchase is easy for the UK to mitigate if there isn’t 2 subs off Canada and they have the destroyer in sz 109. After the UK has Canada free, it’s easy for them to drop a destroyer there…German subs than have to scamper off the coast of UK.

You might get 1-2 good rounds of convoying.

However, if doing the sub thing, need to start it off right from the beginning.

G1 Purchase 3 Subs, 1 Bomber.

I learned that from someone I play with regularly online.

What you do you is ignore SZ 110 on G1.

Hit 109, 106, and 111 in order to clear all destroyers. There is a way to send enough Air to both 111 and 109 to ensure UK doesn’t scramble or it (dice permitting), usually a lopsided victory in Axis favor.

If you win all 3 zones with subs over, you might get 9-10 IPC convoyed turn 1. If everything being fair dice, UK may have to turtle purchase UK1, which means you may get another good convoy UK2 (because of the 3 sub purchases G1).

• @weddingsinger said in Large sub buy for Germany?:

Anyone try something a bit different, like a G2 larger sub buy for Germany?

Presumably something like 10 mechs and 6 subs would be useful. 6 subs plus 4 bombers gets you plenty of opportunities against Allied navy at Gibraltor or to start convoying England. But subs are soooo bad at defending it seems it would be easy to lose.

Anyone try something like this? Or anything else unusual?

Admiral Raeder approves :)

sorry that’s all i have to add to the discussion : )

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m