Argo's Middleweight Map for 1939 & 1942

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Thanks for the tips, both of you! Just to be clear, I’m not worried at this point about the visual prettiness of the lines…I just need the lines to be thin enough and crisp enough that the Polygon Grabber can accurately identify territories.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

@Argothair, put me down for helping in general with playtesting, naming territories, and GIMP/art stuff. What help do you need right now?

• I just want to make sure that you know that Inkscape (free/open-source illustrator clone) can quickly and awesomely vectorize raster images- I’ve attached your map, vectorized as a pdf below (this took literally 5 minutes; you can endlessly tweak/refine the process, exclude text, etc…). You’re probably already aware- I just want to make sure. This obviously doesn’t instantly solve your 1-pixel-wide problems.

• I think the Azores in the Atlantic has an expansive effect on Axis mental health (and strategic bombing strategies); what about in one of the two spots shown below?

Azores.png
    argo_draft_map.pdf

@Black_Elk playing the POS map with the islands between SZs was just a massive eye-opener. I modified community maps and printed big physical POS & POS+C maps, and I taped your islands to my revised board- my group played 10 or 20 in-person games between 2006-2009 on those setups! So much crunchier tactically, especially in the Mediterranean and PTO, and the initial unit placements were so refreshing.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

Top Azores is almost right. Same sz but move it more north and also be added maybe action if it was touching both sz. Mine is like that. I have uK convoy boxes out by Azores. Could place for either side to have plane support or sub attacks. Plus I know not interested but Azores is one of my influence strict neutral.
    Hitler wanted to bomb Washington from there or close to it or naval ports

• @SS-GEN said in Argo's Middleweight Map for 1939 & 1942:

Top Azores is almost right. Same sz but move it more north

I Northed the Azores. I think it would be fun to put them at the center of an intersection, would take some rejiggering. No clue how that affects atlantic flow.

argo_draft_map.png

I post pic of my map I use. You’ll see. For my game the battle of the Atlantic can go on for 6 turns. Be tough for this probably without changing setup a bit. But it’s just ideas u can store down the road for other games or to play around with. Depends on what convoy rules are being used.

image1(9).png

Here’s a pic of my setup in Atlantic. Disreguard Europe. There’s 3 more German subs not in pic. ! by Iceland, 1 by Norway and 1 in the Baltic. 13 total. So if a sub goes inside a convoy box it cost country that many ICPs against income and for every one sub touching the outside of a convoy box its another 1 Icp income lose.
    There’s also another UK convoy box worth 2 not in pick at top of map and a Russian convoy box down below out of pick worth 4 by just east of Iceland.
    Just some ideas if interested for other games.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

I think we killed @Argothair’s thread with our Azorian chatter, @SS-GEN.

• @vodot I don’t think so. I would believe he’s busy. I heard he’s not going to Siredbloods tourney this weekend.

• @SS-GEN Yup, I’m just really busy. I’ll come back eventually!

Update: I decided to manually trace a brand new vector map so that I can squash and enlarge continents as I see fit and then rescale when I’m done so that the smallest tiles will still be enough pixels wide to hold a few unit types each. Here’s Europe and Africa – you may notice that Africa is only half the height it ‘should’ be compared to Europe, and that the UK is about 140% of its proper size, and that the English Channel and North Sea are about triple their proper sizes. I plan to continue abusing geography for our wargaming convenience until I’ve finished the whole globe. This project is taking several years longer than I originally anticipated, but I do not plan to quit. Thanks again for all your support. :)

path9151.png

• @Argothair said in Argo's Middleweight Map for 1939 & 1942:

This project is taking several years longer than I originally anticipated, but I do not plan to quit.

It’s nice to have a hobby :)

Is it possible to get TripleA to allow transports to move or unload only during noncombat? I was thinking it might be interesting to have two kinds of boats that move land units:

1. Transports, which move 3, carry any 3 land units, and can only unload during noncombat
    2. Landing Craft, which move 1, carry 1 infantry, bombard at 1, and can load/unload at any time.

This would make it very challenging to win a beachhead, but very easy to reinforce a beachhead once you’ve got one – you could even follow up the same turn, e.g., landing craft to get from London to Normandy, and then if you actually capture Normandy then maybe transports can unload some tanks into Normandy from Canada or even New York during the non-combat phase of the same turn.

I’d like to find out if this is possible before finishing my sea zones.

• @Argothair said in Argo's Middleweight Map for 1939 & 1942:

Is it possible to get TripleA to allow transports to move or unload only during noncombat? I was thinking it might be interesting to have two kinds of boats that move land units:

1. Transports, which move 3, carry any 3 land units, and can only unload during noncombat
    2. Landing Craft, which move 1, carry 1 infantry, bombard at 1, and can load/unload at any time.

Hmm…yea i think you can. You need to use this for the non combat one. It should work, but … ? I can’t remember ever using it so idk for sure :)

<option name=“canNotMoveDuringCombatMove” value=“true”/>

Thanks! I’ll give it a try and let you know. :)

And I bet it does work; I bet that’s the same option that’s used for the AAA guns.

Progress continues. The circles (victory cities) are 180 pixels wide, which means that every territory should have plenty of room to host a reasonable number of units.

2b6a5cf4-2036-4a68-972a-4a8d579bf5be-image.png

• I’ve got a reasonably functional prototype in TripleA again with the new map – here’s the unit list:

40ebbd22-641e-46bf-9ce4-7e26b661858f-image.png

And here’s a snapshot of the European theater of operations – as you can see, the units are fitting comfortably! This is with map size at 60% and unit size at 100%; players will naturally want to adjust their settings based on monitor size and personal preference.

d0384ebc-86eb-4e1d-970e-478ca1f58bea-image.png

Lots of work still to do on the XML file – I just managed to get air superiority battles up and running, and next I’ll work on submarine behavior, and then probably head over to canals. It’ll be a while, but I’ll keep at it.

OK, an alpha version of the 1939 map is now available for download! You’ll need to unzip the folder at the link below and put it in C:/Users/[your name]/triplea/downloadedMaps. I’m still working on this, but it’s very much playable (I finished one game with each side), and I’m excited to share. Let me know if you give it a try, or if you have any feedback, or if you want to help with graphics or playtesting – it’s easier to change things now that it would be after it gets more polished.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RTTR2kzgPeV82avij5ZI6mXuN5M9ezmi/view?usp=sharing

• Hello. Seems like flag images are missing and I got this error message.

IllegalStateException: Error in resource loading. Unable to load expected resource: polygons.txt, the error is that either we did not find the correct path to load. Check the resource loader to make sure the map zip or dir was added. Failing that, the path in this error message should be available relative to the map folder, or relative to the root of the map zip

-Western Russia is too powerful territory it left Germany no option other than breaking it first. I’d want to see the Middle East to be redrawn.

@Navalland Thanks for giving it a try! I’m sorry about the error messages; I’m not sure what’s causing those. I hate to bring up obvious points, but are you sure you’ve unzipped the folder so that the unzipped folder is directly inside your C:/Users/[your name]/triplea/downloadedMaps folder?

You should be able to see the unzipped XML file at:
    C:/Users/Navalland/triplea/downloadedMaps/argo/games/argo.xml.

Sometimes if you unzip a folder then Windows will place it at:
    C:/Users/Navalland/triplea/downloadedMaps/argo/argo/games/argo.xml, which can cause errors similar to the ones you’re describing.

As far as Western Russia being too powerful, are you saying that just because it is centrally located, or what is it about Western Russia that you feel is powerful? I was surprised to hear that because it is only worth 1 IPC, it starts with zero units in it, and there are paths around it to both the north and the south – you can invade Lithuania -> Leningrad -> Archangel -> Moscow, or you can invade Romania -> South Ukraine -> Caucasus -> Stalingrad. Curious to hear more about your thoughts on that one.

What, specifically, would you like to see redrawn in the Middle East, and why?

Were you able to get the game up and running, or did the error messages crash the game? If you can play the game, do you have any other feedback?

• Works now perfecty. First impressions;

-Its better to make combat phrase before than purchasing phrase.

-Considering 1942 borders; Its really good to see Germany becoming almost two times stronger than Russia. I really liked German-Russian-Italian-Chinese income distirbutions. Japan could be slighly more weaker. USA is underpowered and Britain is incredibly overpowered. I t would be not a good idea having significantly stronger Britain than USA.

-I’d call Lorraine instead Maginot.

-You can make Gobi desert Russian territory instead making impassable it would led more strategic options.

-Western Russia’s power lies on blocking everything rather than its income or set-up because its touches everything from Leningrad to Caucasus it means Germany simply cannot bypass it and execute different things like making case Blue or direct approach to Moscow.

-I’d suggest making fewest territory as much as possible in non-combat zones. For example there would be absolutely nothing wrong with making Canada or South America just single territory.

-Middle East is just looks too squeezed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m