I made a TripleA map on my hard drive, but I can't test it because it hasn't been downloaded. Help?

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Hello fellow developers. I made a custom TripleA map from scratch using the map creator tool, and then edited the xml file appropriately, and all of that is going reasonably well. I can see the game in the list of maps available when I run TripleA. However, I can’t actually launch the game to see what the map looks like, because I’m getting the following error box:

d47c37ca-cb68-4225-bd03-ce5dd623e217-image.png

I assume I’m just putting my map files in the wrong folder or something, but it’s in the same folder as all of the maps that I’ve downloaded, and I don’t know where else to put it. I could try uploading the map to the github repository and then downloading it from there, but I’d rather not upload it until I’ve tested it at least a little bit on my harddrive and it’s ready for other beta testers. The folder I’m using is C:/users/Jason GL/triplea/downloadedMaps. Within that folder, I’ve tried putting my xml file in /Argo/map/games and in /Argo/games.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

Here’s the full error message:
    Mar 24, 2019 2:19:37 PM games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher loadGame
    SEVERE: Failed to start game
    games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.MapNotFoundException
    at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getMapResourceLoader(ResourceLoader.java:60)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.HeadedUiContext.internalSetMapDir(HeadedUiContext.java:75)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.AbstractUiContext.setDefaultMapDir(AbstractUiContext.java:107)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.create(TripleAFrame.java:232)
    at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA.startGame(TripleA.java:105)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.loadGame(LocalLauncher.java:60)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.launchInNewThread(LocalLauncher.java:39)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.AbstractLauncher.lambda$launch$0(AbstractLauncher.java:51)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Mar 24, 2019 2:28:18 PM games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher loadGame
    SEVERE: Failed to start game
    games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.MapNotFoundException
    at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getMapResourceLoader(ResourceLoader.java:60)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.HeadedUiContext.internalSetMapDir(HeadedUiContext.java:75)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.AbstractUiContext.setDefaultMapDir(AbstractUiContext.java:107)
    at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.create(TripleAFrame.java:232)
    at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA.startGame(TripleA.java:105)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.loadGame(LocalLauncher.java:60)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.launchInNewThread(LocalLauncher.java:39)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.AbstractLauncher.lambda$launch$0(AbstractLauncher.java:51)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• @Argothair I suppose that the issue is related to the folder structure and/or inaccuracies in naming the mapfile and the map-xml and/or the naming inside the xml.
    Would you mind to provide your files in a zipped way?
    I will take a look tomorrow, then (almost midnight here). :slightly_smiling_face:

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Panther Thank you! Here’s the .xml file, and here’s some screenshots of the directory tree. The forum won’t allow me to upload a .zip file, but if you send me your e-mail address I’m happy to e-mail you a .zip.

Midweight 42.xml

88a855cc-1dbb-4313-85ee-438076eacfab-image.png

b6b144d2-ae3d-4f77-bf40-61eccad8432a-image.png

43b52013-c04a-4b5c-9f16-425e978b4381-image.png

20730ebc-bfc6-4cf2-8b85-45afd7eebeda-image.png

• @Panther

Actually, I think you are right – the problem was that I had the wrong name for the map at the bottom of the .xml file. I think I can keep working from here. Thank you!

• @Argothair Great. Just ask back in case you need further assistance. :slightly_smiling_face:

• '19

Uh, Am I to understand that, folks can create maps and upload them, and play on them online? Crossing fingers, and desperately hoping that I did indeed read this correctly…:hand_with_index_and_middle_fingers_crossed:

• @CrazyIvan Yes indeed. Check out triplea-game.org to learn more about that. However map making is not trivial, but many people have learnt that so far and provide awesome user made maps.

• @CrazyIvan Also for playing online you might want to check out our TripleA forum, especially the stickies there: https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/category/28/triplea-support

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m