If newbies are playing their first game…

• I was going to try the IC in Panama against you, can make my trannies go both ways from there :wink:

• Founder TripleA Admin

Thanks! I’ve started posting these articles.

@CrazyStraw:

Well, over at Caspian Sub we have Beginner Strategy Guides.  They are only one page long so a newbie won’t be overwhelmed, and there is one for each power.  It gives a recommended opening purchase and moves.  It also give quick strategy tips for the early, mid, and late game.

They were designed with the idea that you could print them off, keep them in your box, and hand them to a new guy as needed.

We are still on the first version of all of them, so if you can think of things you’d like changed we’re open to suggestions (but the stuff still has to fit on one page; that’s the hard part).

Have at it:
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Caspian_Sub/

Peace

• I think that if one person is a newb in your group they should definately play as Russia.  For the most part Russia uses no navy and little airforce (although an important one at that).  Besides the first round all they buy is one unit.  Russia also doesn’t have those big supply trains that Germany has.  The only concept that really needs to be learned for Russia is to stack, trade, and strafe.

• I played with a newbie last Friday (like I said I would)…

He choose to play with G and J…
    and I think that was the best way to go!

as G he saw what massive alliance the allies could announce and how destructive they could capture Berlin :-P
    (I took it with 20 UK units remaining in UK 5 or UK 6 :-P)
    as J he noticed he needed to build trannies right a way to hold and expand the mainland!
    and this was in his first game!

he lost the game for sure,
    but he had fun and would love to play as axis again (definitely as J :-))

I can say he has most of the strategies and techniques in order to play as a good player from now on…

• What I’ve done with several players I taught was to play several practice games first. This is best if you’re trying to foster long term interest. It’s not easy to get creamed and crawl back to the board for more if you’re just starting out.

So what I did was explained things as we went along, with no pressure of the game counting towards anything, so that the player could get a feel for logistics and some simple strategy. The player got to play the Axis for a game, and the Allies for one. Once we started playing for real the learning curve had been accelerated, and not as many newb mistakes were made.

Even though I talked alot of strat, I didn’t reveal everything so that they could come up with their own ‘best’ way of playing.

It worked well for me and the people I play with.

Of course, if you like the feeling of crushing someone, or don’t care about the long term, just pound the crap out of 'em and let them learn the hard way…

• It’s always a good idea to make a few pointers to the general mistakes made by newbs. I have noticed two typical mistakes with new players.

1. Infantry is always a good buy, we all know why so I don’t need to explain, but some new players have a habit of choosing arm over inf. whoa, why should I buy inf when I get a better defense and attack for just two ipc more?

2. The efficiency of transports and how they can be used good, each round, and never be a big bunch of floating metal. To my experience many players are using a lot of money on buying a single or two ICs when they don’t really need them.

• My opponent is an intelligent guy,

if I would not be playing at my best, he would be insulted :-)
    Last Friday, he learned it the hard way indeed.
    we played for 4 hours, but I can say: in his next game he will be a proffesional already :-P

By the way, I never played with allies before, so I had to try that one strategy I keep dreaming of for the allies, and it worked perfectly…

• Axel, don’t suppose you could share that “one strategy” for those of us also somewhat unfamiliar with the Allies? :-P

• I hope some day, I could use it against one of you guys :-P

I mean I hope I can get to play a game on line someday and demonstrate the victory or defeat of my strategy…
    while still, I’m not sure if it’s going to work against professionals…

• Maybe you could make a thread about your strategy.  Unless your waiting to unleash it against one of the people here?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m