👋 Introduce or Re-Introduce Yourself (Current)

• @andrewaagamer Yeah, definetly agree with you there. At least for myself, there is no satisfaction in being allowed to win. I want to earn it, so i learn something from it. There is no learning in giving a win, only in earning the win. Thanks again, i appreciate it :relaxed:

• @captainsquareyez
    Just remember on thing.
    The side with the most stuff wins…USA
    The side that has spread his resources to thin always loses…Germany.
    Hitler was very stupid to think that he can make war with everyone and win.

• @eisenhower Well, it wasnt easy, but the axis won against the allies in a total victory game :)
    But yeah, i kinda will have to agree with that for the most part. USA seems to start off with more PU’s and so, can build up more of a army than any other nation in the game. But, the dice, and strategies can make or break a game for anyone, axis or allies, i think :)

• Hi All,

I’m a solo player from Melbourne, Australia. Years ago I owned a copy of Axis & Allies Classic, but never really got into it at the time (too many other competing priorities) and gave my copy away (now much regretted!).

I’ve reconnected with the game in the last few years and now have copies of A&A Anniversary Edition, A&A 1914, and A&A D-Day. During all these Covid lockdowns I’ve been playing a lot of A&A Anniversary Edition, solo, and have achieved very different outcomes from my games. I play a full turn at a time, then have a break to review and consider strategy for the next turn, and the games usually stretch over a couple of days. I find the dice roles in the first few turns can often be decisive.

Another strategy I use in solo games to create uncertainty is to mimic historical Axis behaviour in the early war period in the first few turns… i.e. be as aggressive as possible and see how far that (and the dice roles) can take you! On the flip side I enjoy playing the British Empire because of the immediate global scale of operations and the need to carefully manage your resources.

Good gaming to you all!

Andrew (aka “Digger”)

• @digger Welcome to the site digger !

If you’re interested, you can play online. Solo or with others

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/17147/gargantua-s-k-i-s-s-triplea-instructions/9

• '22 '21

@digger Welcome to the Force Digs, if you like the feel of units+Dice in your hands then I highly suggest from personal experience to play against others over the YouTube- playing Solo is very limited and you’ll get better fast when playing others from the Community, you should try to get the 1942 Second edition+Global for a whole New experience!!!🎲

• Welcome @digger !
    As someone else pointed out, definitely look into play against others if U can, coz people have their own strategies, where as playing against yourself, you can hold off on moves or not do this or that,etc, plus you know your own strategies 🙂.
    I think from memory there is a thread on here with people looking for other people to game with.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

WELCOME Digger!

Yes, the early game is very important in regards to dice because early on there are many battles that you are almost forced to make and yet you have not had time to organize your forces to influence the effects of dice. As the game goes on dice is more easily controlled by how you play and which battles you pick and choose but early on it is much more of a crapshoot.

Again - WELCOME!

• @barnee

Thanks Barnee, I certainly will have a look for some opponents. Continually playing solo the role of Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, Hitler, Hirohito and Mussolini (and their General Staffs) all at the same time does occasionally feel somewhat schizophrenic!

• @nolimit

Thanks, nolimit! Certainly my next plans were to lay my hands on AA’42 and also Europe and Pacific '40. I think a lot of game shops down here in Australia have been especially hard hit by the pandemic, with not a lot of stock or reorders at present. All I could find the other day in Mind Games (a local game shop) was a folorn looking copy of Zombies. Here in Melbourne, we have been locked down for considerable periods of time and it’s had a really bad impact on small businesses. I can currently order Europe and Pacific '40 online from Amazon, but we pay full rate and full freight to get stuff here!

• @captainsquareyez

Thanks @CaptainSquareEyez. @Barnee has posted me a Link. It can often be difficult keeping up the illusion you don’t know what the other side is doing… when you’re the other side!

• @andrewaagamer

Thanks @andrewaagamer. I agree that when those dice roles get too lucky for one side or the other early in the game it sort of makes things a bit of a forgone conclusion. I ran a solo Anniversary 1941 setup recently where the initial British diceroles were so bad they lost to everyone from the North Atlantic to the Mediterranean to the Pacific, and by the time the United States swung into action it was all too late!

• @digger lol, yep. I play the game by myself, as im sure many others do as well. I do try to play the game as if i am playing against someone else, just gotta remember not to hold back or anything as you may want the other side to win or whatever :)

• Hey guys, I really just got into A&A over covid but I really wanted to play it beforehand, just never got a chance. I fell in love with classic and now I’ve bought G40 and D day. I will also get triple A soon. It was such a good feeling to find this website because it answered so many questions I had about rules and opened up so many more possibilities for my gaming.

• Hello everyone- it’s great to be here and meet you. I started playing Axis and allies in the 80s with the original board game. Then the online version in the 2000’s, mostly the original classic. I can’t seem to enjoy the other versions as much. If anyone has a recommendation for the newer versions for someone who loved the original, I would appreciate your thoughts as the classic doesn’t look like available to play online. Is the original A&A classic played online anywhere real-time and if so where can I join and play?

Thanks for having me and I look forward to connecting with everyone.

Sunless Kiwi

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@kiwi Hi kiwi you can play on triplea https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/17147/gargantua-s-k-i-s-s-triplea-instructions/10

Anniversary is a newer one and pretty fun.

• @kiwi Given your @Kiwi handle presumably you’re on the other side of the Tasman from me? I play the current issue Anniversary Edition, it has the bonus of being able to play a 1941 or 1942 scenario, and includes the Italians and Chinese as minor powers (though the Italian Fleet can be surprisingly hard to kill and Chinese reinforcements disconcertingly pop up like a jack in the box if you are the Japanese player). The Rule Book is manageable and gives you optional rules to increase or decrease the complexity (eg R&D technology, National Objectives). Another option is the current 1942 A&A (not owned or played by me), which I understand is the natural descendant of Classic, and may be more readily available and should be cheaper than Anniversary. If not in stock in NZ (if that’s where you are!), it appears the most reliable source Down Under at the moment will be via Amazon, but you will pay full rate and full freight to get it down here.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@kiwi

Hi kiwi,

We also played Classic in late 80s and all through the 90s. We also bought the cd computer version - mostly used for training new players.

In 2004 Axis & Allies Revised Edition came out - and we automatically started playing this version. I believe this version is still played - and besides an updated map version and a few new unit profiles, the game mechanismes are the same as in Classic.

We no longer play any of these versions - since the Axis & Allies Global 1940 came out.

You can use the Player Locator at this forum to search for players near you - if any.

I hope you’ll find what you’re looking for. One thing is for sure - at this forum you’ll find tons of fun & challenge:relaxed:

• @kiwi I too started off on Classic ( but in 2020:) lol) and then I jumped to Global 1940. I loved it because I always wanted more naval build options than Classic offered, and then I fell in love with the addition of more ground troops, tactical bombers, political rules, and national objectives. It is a big jump, but very manageable. Plus it’s arguably the most popular version right now, close to anniversary.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

WELCOME! @kiwi

AA50 (Anniversary Edition) is probably the best ruleset and the most fun for a shorter game; 6-8 hours. If you can handle a weekend game Global 1940 is really fun too. Same ruleset just more complicated and as others have said more popular.

AA50 is close to being balanced and only a small bid is needed while Global 1940 2nd Edition OOB (OOB = Out of Box) really favors the Axis so a pretty big bid is needed to balance it. BTW do you play with a Bid in Classic? I used to play at AAMC and the bid there was usually at least 18 with some people going as high as 22.

TripleA allows all of these games to be played online or via PBEM.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m