• Has anyone had the problem of all spotters/forward observers being blown to high hell by the end of turn one, even if they’re in cover (which doesn’t really help the Jeep too much)? Considering that Forward Observers camoflauged themselves, I’m thinking of giving them a hiding ability similiar to the snipers. Is that too strong now?

-=Grim=-

• i found it helpfull to keep them moving and bring them out when they are needed.  Kinda like a booster to my mortars and aircraft.  They are weak though.  Maybe there should have a bonus in cover on hills.

• Maybe even a +1 to cover saves might help (which is better than the over-powering sniper cover: I dunno what I was thinking when I suggested that).

-=Grim=-

• you could just say that they can’t be targeted at long range but can be at medium and short

• The FO Jeep is just bad; 1/1 defence vehicle that can’t run away in the assault phase. Although I know they did this to prevent it from getting even closer to the enemy AND using the spotter SA in the same phase.

The Red Army FO works best when put on a KV-1. Otherwise keep him in cover at all times.

• That is what i was doing but someone brought up that an soldier can not use any effects while there are riding on a vehicle

• @Ubermarine:

That is what i was doing but someone brought up that an soldier can not use any effects while there are riding on a vehicle

That’s incorrect.  Any soldier can use their abilities while being transported, including commanders and spotters.

• i don’t think spotters die too easily.  yea the FO jeep just blows cause it can’t move during assult.  but the red army FO.  put him on the back of a T34 and just run around.  it actually works quite well, you can outrun just about everything the axis player will send your way

• Something that has worked for me is to have one FO and three mortars placed in a line across the playing field to triangulate on either one or many targets.  Haven’t lost an FO yet

• I really haven’t had the best of success with the Mortars yet, as while their dice and range are ok, the enemy often just makes those 50/50 cover saves. If I go first I can sometimes catch him out in the open, but otherwise it’s a lot of points for Mortars + Spotters, and the Allies can do much better for anti-infantry.

• Keep in mind that I play historical armies, so the Red Army spotter isn’t an option for me unfortunately. Heck, I don’t even have the MAerican one technically, but we use the regular jeeps as spotters. But they die like there’s no tomorrow. And people target them like they’re the objective of the game, not that little white disk! Sure, that one turn that they draw some fire is nice, but an MG42 or two will put a stop to your mortars firing behind cover REL quick. Then you have to spend time moving your mortars up, where they’re promptly whipped. Argh!

Considering how Recce worked in WWII, I might actually give them a camoflauge ability similiar to the snipers (if not exactly the same); maybe it’ll not work against planes or something, just to shake it up a bit. Mental note: playtest this next game.

-=Grim=-

• As is, I think the FO Jeep is terrible because of its limitations and cost.  As a House Rule I’ve changed Chatting on the Radio to be optional; if you chose not to use it then for the rest of the turn you can’t use the Spotter SA and don’t count as a spotter.

• @argarus:

i don’t think spotters die too easily.  yea the FO jeep just blows cause it can’t move during assult.  but the red army FO.  put him on the back of a T34 and just run around.  it actually works quite well, you can outrun just about everything the axis player will send your way

If its on the back of a transport can the Spotter still spot or do you have to drop it first?

• The FO is active while riding on a vehicle

• @Der:

As a House Rule I’ve changed Chatting on the Radio to be optional; if you chose not to use it then for the rest of the turn you can’t use the Spotter SA and don’t count as a spotter.

I played using this rule and it worked amazingly. The FO units acted like real Recce units: they moved around alot, skulking about, and calling in the artillery strikes as needed. Excellent house rule, dude.

-=Grim=-

• @GrimJesta:

@Der:

As a House Rule I’ve changed Chatting on the Radio to be optional; if you chose not to use it then for the rest of the turn you can’t use the Spotter SA and don’t count as a spotter.

I played using this rule and it worked amazingly. The FO units acted like real Recce units: they moved around alot, skulking about, and calling in the artillery strikes as needed. Excellent house rule, dude.

-=Grim=-

Yea that house rule is good.  If he doesnt spot for the turn, it makes sense that he can move.  Unless hes chatting it up with his comrades on the radio when hes supposed to be fighting the war.  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m