• Weapons Development

1.  Super Submarines (revised)
    Your submarines are now super submarines. They attack on a 3 and may not be attacked by enemy aircraft when alone or in company with other submarines, unless an enemy destroyer is present.

2.  Combined Bombardment
    Your destroyers may now like battleships, conduct shore bombardment during an amphibious assault at an attack roll of 3 or less.

3.  Jet Fighters (revised)
    Your fighters are now jet fighters. Their defense increases to 5, and they may intercept bombers (including superfortresses) in a SBR.

Bomber Interception: This battle last for one cycle of combat only. The defender declares intercepting fighters before any defending AA guns fire. Intercepting fighters attack on a 3 were as the bomber defend on a 1 (2 if superfortresses), after any AA fire. Any fighters used in a interceptor role may not also defend in a regular land attack against that same territory on the same turn.

4.  Long-Range Aircraft
    Your fighters are now long-range fighters, and your bombers are now long-range bombers. Your fighters? range increases to 6. Your bombers range increases to 8.

5.  Heavy Bombers
    Your bombers are now heavy bombers. They roll two dice each in an attack or strategic bombing raid (see Special Combats in Phase 4: Conduct Combat), but still only a single die on defense.

6.  Rockets (revised)
    Your antiaircraft guns are now rocket launchers. In addition to their normal combat function, they can reduce enemy industrial production. From each territory, one antiaircraft gun may attack an industrial complex within 3 spaces. Roll one die for the rocket. The result of that roll is the number of IPC’s destroyed by that rocket. The maximum combined damage inflicted in one turn by all rocket attacks and strategic bombing raids on the same industrial complex is the territory’s income value. The opponent must surrender that many IPC’s to the bank (or as many as the player has, whichever is the lesser amount).

7.  Heavy Artillery
    Your artillery are now heavy artillery. They attack on a 3.

8.  Mechanized Army
    Your infantry and artillery have a move of 2 and may blitz as tanks do.

• I like the mechanized army tech, because it would be such a good buy for Germany they might consider investing in it.  Japan might possibly invest in it too… but probably not.

• I think the Jet Fighters are only interesting as an defensuve tech to counter Heavy Bombers tech! However I like the revised Jet Fighters much more than the original one! I voted Combined Bombardment since we always play by the rules that all destroyers may conduct shore bobardment on a 2, just like in A&A:E or A&A:P!

• Anyone who has not voted yet?

• I’m just curious…
    for the #7 and #8

how would you roll for the development??

thx… by the way I like heavy bombers too XD

• @keen2215:

I’m just curious…
    for the #7 and #8

how would you roll for the development??

thx… by the way I like heavy bombers too XD

Well this is not about that Q, it is about which of the techs one would not like to have in a list of six techs! So the Q is simply: Find the two techs you find most inferior and unbalanced?

But for those who want to use all of the mentioned techs, I would recomand a D8 or simply choose what tech one want to develop!

• I still think the heavy bombers are too destructive…
    if you don’t have jet fighters, you may as well resign once a country has heavy bombers and a few bombers…
    :mrgreen:

combined bombardement is too weak…
    Maybe I didn’t play with the right person to see, but he had this and never used it :-D
    LOL
    nonetheless, I always think there is a good use for it, but I should try this once too see how things turn out…

• @Axel:

I still think the heavy bombers are too destructive…
    if you don’t have jet fighters, you may as well resign once a country has heavy bombers and a few bombers…
    :mrgreen:

combined bombardement is too weak…
    Maybe I didn’t play with the right person to see, but he had this and never used it :-D
    LOL
    nonetheless, I always think there is a good use for it, but I should try this once too see how things turn out…

I think heavy bombers aren’t overpowered at all, they cost a lot. Some 30 IPCs to develop and another 45-60 IPCs to build a pile of bombers! I think the counter tactic with Jet Fighters is a cheap buy! Most players already got some fighters, so the cost will simply be some 30 IPCs to develop the tech!

When it comes to Combined Bombardment I partly agree, that it is week. We always play by the rules that all destroyers may conduct shore bombardment on a 2, just like in A&A:E or A&A:P! Hence no need for the tech Combined Bombardment!

• The heavy superfortresses overkill

The Superfortresses advantage imbalances the game. US need only spend 30 IPC’s on average in the very first game turn to gain the Heavy Bombers technology. US can then bomb Germany back to stone age within a few turns with unstoppable SBR’s, by using superfortresses. Not to mention that US also may develop Long Range Aircraft technology to gain Japans attention. Unlike subs, there is definite incentive to come up with heavy bombers, and you better come up with them before your opponent does. And it’s about the only way the German and Japanese player can counter the Superfortresses advantage.

The combination of Superfortresses advantage and the Heavy Bombers technology is just overkill, since IPC loss from SBR is limited to the territory’s income value per bomber. In plain english it means that 3 US bombers can inflict, per turn, up to 30 IPC’s damage on Germany, and there is nothing that Germany can do it about it.

The sitting duck sub

A submarine is a sitting duck no matter where it goes, unless its in the company of a other naval units. A sub can’t operate autonomously. What good are supersubs, wolfpacks and U-boat Interdiction if any fighter can sink them 50% of the time, or a bomber 66% of the time, without taking a risk. There is no incentive in the game to have submarines. And the Super Submarine technology is not as good as Heavy Bombers technology, neither are Jet fighters!

How to counterbalance?

A technolgy vs. technology approach is the easiest and most balanced approach.

**  Super Submarines (revised)**
    Your submarines are now super submarines. They attack on a 3 and may not be attacked by enemy aircraft when alone or in company with other submarines, unless an enemy destroyer is present.

**  Jet Fighters (revised)**
    Your fighters are now jet fighters. Their defense increases to 5, and they may intercept bombers (including superfortresses) in a SBR.

Bomber Interception: This battle last for one cycle of combat only. The defender declares intercepting fighters before any defending AA guns fire. Intercepting fighters attack on a 3 were as the bomber defend on a 1 (2 if superfortresses), after any AA fire. Any fighters used in a interceptor role may not also defend in a regular land attack against that same territory on the same turn.

• Super Submarines
    The reason why aircraft cannot attack alone submarines – It was the aircraft that proved the greatest nuisance to surfaced submarines. Night-running on the surface even to charge batteries, became prohibitively dangerous and the submarines developed the snort. The snort made the submarines slow since the submarine needed to stay submerged and on station high surface speeds could not be used. Efficiency fell off rapidly. Desperately some submarines carried enhanced AA armament, electing to fight it out on the surface. This suited the aircraft very well, which discourage the practice.

Ultimately the type XXI and XXIII submarine was introduced by Germany. These types of submarines travelled faster underwater than surfaced. The former had a 16-kt submerged speed, underwater fire control and acoustic torpedoes, tuned to home on the fast running propellers. A combination of active and passive sonar enabled them to attack without raising a tell-tale periscope. Fortunately for the Allies the war ended before the type became fully operational.

• Anyone who has not voted yet? :?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m