• New to the forum’s here. Been lurking, learning and reading but it has been a while since I’ve seen any activity on 1942.2. I was wondering if Larry Harris’ tournament rules have changed the game to the point where it is balanced with no need for a bid or if a bid still occurs in allies favor.

To me the changes seem pretty good but I have read discussions about people wanting the bomber back in Germany.

If this is true has anyone tried putting an IC in east Australia and/or south Africa and perhaps either having an IC, 1 inf, and and an AAA in Sinkiang, OR for every two Chinese territories the US can place 1 infantry(purchased normally) into any owned Chinese territory. Similar to AA50th.

Anyway hopefully this game isn’t dead although even I will soon be getting G40.(Better late than never)

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Well its not dead but its not super-compelling as a stand alone game. The most interesting reason to play is that its the largest and best attended tournament, with a shorter game and its just alot of fun to play AxA in that format.

The patch did address balance= 42.2 needed a +19 bid, whereas 7 is a comfortable allied bid for 42.3. However, it also made the game quite flat–there is only 1 opener to do (the one that shreds the space with the bomber!). So the game is def. more balanced, but its also sort of boring after you play it 50-60 times.

I wouldn’t put ICs anywhere on that board personally–the game only lasts about 5 turns before one side starts to emerge as a VC winner.

Luck plays a huge part in the opener, and therefore the game.

• So there is a problem but no one has come to a consensus on how to tweak the game(like putting the bomber back into germany) to make it more dynamic? Or is everyone at a happy place with how the game progresses even though it is a little repetitive as far as opening moves? Is there active discussions on how to fix this strategy problem or is everyone just moving on to AA50th and g40?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Yes if you go back two or so years (2016 era) you can find Argo and Black Elk and I discussing this very topic in this thread. I believe that Argo’s idea was to change the turn order and stick an american turn 0 in…but in any event

The small scale, setup and geometry of the map just means alot fewer choices than AA50 or Global. I think for a 2.5 hour, 6 or so turn game, its about as dynamic as it can be, I personally feel that the community accepted the patch as quite necessary and this edition as poorly playtested and broken at release…but why would you spend efforts improving this particular version (as there are now 5 games with the same scale I believe; 1941 revised 42.2 classic and aaz) when you could have so much MORE fun playing any of the cool house rule, VC or customized editions of AA50 and Global.

We played 42.2/3 for a year, AAZ for a few months, and now we’re back to Global with perhaps some house modding or set bid.

• Alright. I’ll just get me some hot g40 action then. Thanks for your time. Kinda sucks but it is what it is.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@Mursilis

All the best to you. Maybe a good suggestion would be to have copies of 42.2, AA50 and Global and then set up the board that fits with the time, players and space you have. Many people can’t leave a big board set up over multi sessions and so a shorter, lighter game would be appropriate for new players or shorter meetups.

I still keep my playbook for this version in mind, as it is consistently the best attended and largest tournament at Gencon–you get to play 3-5 games in just over 2 days so its alot like a chess/bridge/cribbage tournament…busy and having fun all day with a variety of opponents.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m