• Hi all,

We’ve been playing this 1940 global game for a few round now and it turns out very different then any previous game. For instance, in all cases previous cases when the axis managed to capture Moscow it was game over for the allies. But this time the allies managed to defend Russia in a way I’ve never seen before. Although we (playing the axis) captured Moscow it didn’t decide the game.

At that point we needed to stop because it was getting late but we will continue the game in a week or so.

Now I’m wondering where to go from here (as axis player). Perhaps you can provide some suggestions?

In the pacific the jap fleet and US+Anzac fleet are of equal strength. China is under control.
    The UK managed to build up a ground force in india but had their pacific fleet totally destroyed.
    The USSR is no longer a big threat but they have significant pockets of force that should be dealt with.
    Ge is doing a good job but needs to finish off the russians and protect the eu-borders.
    As for italy, well they just got kicked out of egypt…

I’ve attached some photos of the situation.

IMG_3383.jpg IMG_3382.jpg IMG_3381.jpg

• '19 '17 '16

The moves seem obvious to me. Take India, Stalingrad, Siberia etc. Are Italy really controlling the Middle East in spite of the Allies holding Egypt? If they can hold it, put an IC there.

Japan:
    Is there really no IC on French Indo China? You may have missed the boat on that one. Put it in Malaya instead. Defend the Japanese ICs strongly with land+air forces. Buy lots of subs and CVs for planes that you already have. It’s hard to tell the force balance between Manchuria and Korea but you don’t want to lose a lot of troops there. Doesn’t like you can hold SZ6 and SZ35. Losing SZ6 isn’t bad if you can reclaim it immediately, just means you can’t build ships that turn if you leave it. Looks like you may need to run to SZ6 immediately though, which will cost you some or all money islands.

But the priority for Japan has to be taking India or holding out until Germany wins. India should be down by now.

Does Germany have a big enough navy to push into SZ91 and then the Med? That allied Med fleet is a worry. Germany/Italy should claim Bulgaria and hit Yugo and Greece. Confused as to why this wasn’t done.

Looks like Germany will be able to get Egypt after a while, but will need a bunch of troops built to do it. Just don’t let the Allies gain footholds in Normandy/Sth France, Norway or Greece.

Perhaps I’m missing a few things here but I think I’ve given you a few pointers. Should be an Axis victory in Europe, I think.

• Thanks,

For the next jap move I was thinking on placing a factory in Malaysia but I am a bit concerned 'bout the number of troops in India (~20inf). The jap fleet is now split in three but will sail the Malaysia squadron to the Philippines asap.
    As for russian forces in the NE, I think the japs can handle that, there is enough firepower in the vicinity. Will cost some inf though.

I agree that a EU victory is the way to go. Germany can attack the allied fleet in the Med with 6 planes and probably knock it out. Will take some time to knock out the remainder of ussr forces.
    I would not expect the allies to mount an invasion on eu continent If ge can eliminate the allied med fleet.

Bulgaria and Yug: Italy should take them, its easy money.

• It looks like you could also consider to attack the american-anzac fleet this turn, if you pull together all japanese available forces. Some planes like the ones from the carriers from 35 and the strategic bombers could land on palau, some more on the carriers of 37 if you move them to 34. so you could bring more planes from japan and the phillipines. I cant see the exact forces but you should have an advantage.

• @damifoe
    The jap fleet is the same size as the US and Anzac combined. They can defend together but attack only solo. Would it make sense to take the fight to the sz where I would have the advantage of scrambling additional planes and kamikaze tokens?

• I cant see the exact numbers, but it seems that the fleet of anzac and usa is:
    2 battleships, 5 carriers, 2 cruisers, 7 destroyers, 2 submarines, 7 fighters, 3 tactical bombers and 2 transports
    that would be 35 hitpoints with 77 power and 329 unit value.
    Japan can bring into the battle:
    2 battleships, 3 carriers, 4 cruisers, 3 destroyers, 2 submarines, 11 figthers, 5 tactical bombers, 2 bombers
    that’s 37 hitpoints with 91 power and 361 unit value.

I put it in the battle planer: 85% for japanese victory with an average 8,64 units left.

So you would win, but it would be costly.

If you want to wait for a battle with scrambling and kamikaze - this only works in defense, so usa would choose when to attack, and he would only if he has an advantage.

I prefer to have the initiative and to choose the battles.
    But with the loss of a lot of planes in this battle maybe you offense against india would get stuck - but if you have to keep your planes without using them on your carriers because USA might attack there is not much of a difference there.

But also USA didnt build fleet and cant reinforce besides filling the carolines with fighters for scrambling, but you can bring in then the rest of the fleet of malaysia next round, so probably he will go back to hawaii until he can reinforce.

I dont say you have to attack, but you should consider it.

• Last Sunday we continued the game, we managed to play two rounds (typically a round takes around 2 hours). Here is what happened (pictures of end state attached):

540a33e1-21c8-48b1-b337-c2e9a3625a6d.jpg

2fb0bdb7-ae0e-41ad-bb6b-2bd2f406ae6e.jpg

a500fd19-68ed-4f4a-88e9-afe35ab23b38.jpg

Some new hardware, disguised as a x-mas presents, have been spotted on the battlefield amongst which Pershings, Tigers, Hellcats, Yamato Battleships and Baltimore Cruisers ;)

In Europe GE attacked the allied Mediterranean fleet but in that process lost 3 fighters and 3 tacticals. But it was worth it since the total IPC loss was well in favour of the axis.

Russia lost more territory to GE but Italy got kicked out of middle east and lost valuable bonus incomes. The proud Russian army stationed at Stalingrad abandoned the city and it looks like its gonna make a run for Cairo (?) in an attempt to postpone axis victory.

The US assembled a small invasion force in Gibraltar and the UK-EU took control over Greece.

As this point a GE option would be to initiate Sealion, the odds are low but Germany’s income is substantial and it can afford to build a second invasion fleet for the second and hopefully final attempt.

In the Pacific Japan finally kicked the Chinese of the board and eliminated the eastern Russian army. A factory was build in Malaya allowing local production to pose a threat to the UK-PAS. The majority of the Japanese fleet is now stationed at the Philippines. The IPC income of UK-PAS is now down to 6 IPC, the JAP income (from the back of my head) is around 74 IPC.

The standoff in the Pacific is interesting: the allied fleet and Jap fleet are equivalent and I am looking for a way to tip the balance. I have been thinking about sending a small taskforce to capture Hawai, this would force the US to reclaim it using a larger force and thus weakening its main fleet. This would be the Jap moment to attack full-force.

We will be playing again next Sunday, will keep you all posted. Tactical and strategic suggestions are welcome.

• @snurkert said in Where to go from here?:

The standoff in the Pacific is interesting: the allied fleet and Jap fleet are equivalent and I am looking for a way to tip the balance. I have been thinking about sending a small taskforce to capture Hawai, this would force the US to reclaim it using a larger force and thus weakening its main fleet. This would be the Jap moment to attack full-force.

So you’ve reinvented Operation MI (Wiki Link Op MI)…

That didn’t go well for Yamamoto, but you don’t have Station Hypo opposing you, so maybe it will turn out better for you.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper
    Hope that my axis opponents are not eavesdropping on this channel…
    On the other hand… I might be seeding misinformation like “running short on water”… :+1:

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@snurkert

Running short on water eh? We will send you some tanks. Of water–of course. ;)

The World Wonders!

• @snurkert the Germans really need to get the NOs or you won’t be able to fund the war… somehow you got Moscow but not leningrad or stalingrad??? You’re in the driver seat, but if you can knock out stalingrad and the caucasus region, there is 14IPCs, leningrad gets you another 7, then you just maintain parity with the japs against the yanks navy and run over egypt. you have a lot going for you, don’t blow it!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m