AARHE: Phase 3: Revised NA's

• Italy National Advantages

1. Gustav Line Defenses
    During World War II, the road to Rome was a heavily fortified by the formidable Gustav Line defenses.
    Your artillery in Italy defends on a 3.

2. North African Express
    Each of your bombers may act as a transport for two infantry (Axis: German, Japanese or Italian). These bombers must land/stop after off loading but may not reinforce a just captured territory.

3. Desert Tracks
    Allow Italian armor to move through Sahara. They must both enter and leave Sahara in same turn and cannot retreat into this territory. (Any Italy units in Sahara at end of Italy’s turn die).

4. Axis Pact

needs some work

Allows any German forces that end their turn in an Italian held territory to be used by Italy in THEIR attack, even if the German forces were used during Germany’s turn. Aircraft so used MUST return to the there starting point (where they were when Germany ended their turn) at the end of battle. All such forces revert to German control at the end of Italy’s turn.

5. Commando Frogmen
    Italy was the first nation to use frogmen and human torpedoes. This secret naval weapon did a great deal of damage to the Royal Navy in the Mediterranean.
    Each turn one of your submarines may target specific enemy ships, attack only. This submarine hit on a die roll of 3 or less.

6. Self Propelled Artillery
    The Italian military lacked modern tanks to support their war effort. As the war progressed, Italy made significant advances in their self propelled artillery design.
    Your artillery may give one matching infantry one additional movement allowance. The tank and the infantry unit must leave from the same territory.

• I don’t like Japanese bombers… in the North African Express… Commando Frogmen and Gustav Line look good. Dessert Tracks, sounds also nice… But is there a reason for it, to be a Italian NA, instead of UK’s to name one…??

• @Micoom:

I don’t like Japanese bombers… in the North African Express… Commando Frogmen and Gustav Line look good. Dessert Tracks, sounds also nice… But is there a reason for it, to be a Italian NA, instead of UK’s to name one…??

No you are right! It is hard to get something that makes sense as a NA for Italy. If you could feed me with some ideas, then I can try to develop those ideas!?

• Rgarding “Commando Frogmen” we last discussed about its range and stuff. Also, is this a special attack of some sort of inside normal sea combat?

• @tekkyy:

Rgarding “Commando Frogmen” we last discussed about its range and stuff. Also, is this a special attack of some sort of inside normal sea combat?

No range restriction and yes it is special attack. One of Italys submarines may target any enemy ship in an attack with or without other attacking units. Hit on 3 or less during that battle.

• I find problems with this:

Self Propelled Artillery
    The Italian military lacked modern tanks to support their war effort. As the war progressed, Italy made significant advances in their self propelled artillery design.
    Your artillery may give one matching infantry one additional movement allowance. The tank and the infantry unit must leave from the same territory.

Self- Propelled Artillery are basically large Artillery guns mounted on a tank chassis… 1) what did Italy have by way of this design? 2) how is it possible for entire infantry units to be piggybacked onto these machines? 3) Are you combining somehow the “idea” that since they are more mobile than artillery then somehow they must be supported by large groups of soldiers?

I think you may take a page from what i put up on Italian NA’s and see if something can be made better.

• @B.:

No range restriction and yes it is special attack. One of Italys submarines may target any enemy ship in an attack with or without other attacking units. Hit on 3 or less during that battle.

Oh, just one submarine?

As for the range I recall something like it must be in the Mediterranean as we don’t expect frogmen to swim in the wild sea?

• @tekkyy:

@B.:

Oh, just one submarine?

As for the range I recall something like it must be in the Mediterranean as we don’t expect frogmen to swim in the wild sea?

Well, those frogmen mostley came from submarines, hence no “swimming restriction” from Rome since submarines dont can operate in all seas. More over frogmen were used all over the ETO by other nations. Italy fought in the Mediterrean and Africa, but if the Axis would have been more successful they would most certainly have fought in other areas as well! That is the reason for not having any restrictions, except for one sub “frogmen attack” per turn.

• @Imperious:

I find problems with this:

Self Propelled Artillery

Self- Propelled Artillery are basically large Artillery guns mounted on a tank chassis… 1) what did Italy have by way of this design? 2) how is it possible for entire infantry units to be piggybacked onto these machines? 3) Are you combining somehow the “idea” that since they are more mobile than artillery then somehow they must be supported by large groups of soldiers?

I think you may take a page from what i put up on Italian NA’s and see if something can be made better.

Alternative 3) it is! But maybe we should restrict it to just 2 in mobility and no piggy back ability!

• yes i think they should move say two spaces and possibly defend at 3 because they are after all on strong tank metal frame.

The purpose was also as tank destroyers… possibly allowing for a hit to go against enemy armor.

Is this enough to finish it?

BTW: still waiting on the rest of the NA goodies from you…

• @B.:

but if the Axis would have been more successful they would most certainly have fought in other areas as well! That is the reason for not having any restrictions, except for one sub “frogmen attack” per turn.

I like that. Simulation rather than historic replay.

• yes its good.

• Hi guys,

Long time no see….

IMO the least realistic of the revised national advantages is Russian Winter. Why? Because we declare it. Why? Because you can not declare a winter. You can declare a defense line. You can declare a shipbuilding program. You can declare a Kamikaze attack, and so on, but it is mother nature that declares a severe winter…not Stalin!!!

Yes, in december of 1941 a severe winter stalled the german divisions at the gates of Moscow. Yes, Jukov chose this moment to launch a massive counterattack with fresh siberian divisions. That, my friends, is history. It is also luck, or karma or destiny, call it what you want. A dice roll is what it takes to implement this national advantage.

Had the winter been more gentle, who knows what would have happened? Hum?

Have a nice day!

• Yes true.
    Rather than declared, I sugguest change it to random.
    Thats if we are still having Russian Winter at all  :-D

• @DasReich:

Hi guys,

Long time no see….

IMO the least realistic of the revised national advantages is Russian Winter. Why? Because we declare it. …

Try this one instead:

Scorched Earth
    Whilst withdrawing from the front, the Soviets came to fight a war were they destroyed anything that might be useful to the Germans.
    When the German player conquer any red territory, that territory has no value until the next round of play. The German player may not add a control marker on the just captured red territory, hence may not increase the National Production Chart correspondingly. If the territory is liberated during Russias turn, then the territory regains it’s value.

• thats good. we need more…

• I tought maybe we could just roll a Die to determine severe winter cause i think this is historically representative. The germans were indeed not prepared to face russian winter.

But scorched earth is a good one too, the problem is that I dont see why the territory would regain it’s value one recaptured by tthe russians…

• The rule is to simulate russian scorched policy. a different NA will be used for winter…

idea: after the german player has commited his attacks… the Soviet player declares a “Soviet Winter” all russians defend at +1 all Germans attack at -1 ( infantry do nothing)

• @B.:

When the German player conquer any red territory, that territory has no value until the next round of play. The German player may not add a control marker on the just captured red territory, hence may not increase the National Production Chart correspondingly. If the territory is liberated during Russias turn, then the territory regains it’s value.

You want to delay income for one turn right?
    We might have to reword it.
    Phase 1 already made “collect income” before “combat”.

Also, what happens if the territory is liberated, on the next turn? or what about next round?

• german collects income one full turn latter… so it dont get money for actually 2 turns

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m