Questions about the rules for 1942 2nd edition

• Re: FAQ Now Available
    I have following Questions about rules for 1942 2nd edition :

1. I asked following question at “wizardsofthecoast” (helpdesk Avalon Hill) about the bridging of a transport ship : “Can you move a transport ship 2 territories and then use the transport ship as a bridge to move land units over sea, all in the same turn. Or is your turn over after moving the transporter through two sea territories ?
      And I got following answers which rather surprised me :
      “a transport can load units (provided they made not other movement), move, unload those units, then load and unload additional units by bridging because that counts as the movement of those units”
      Do you agree with this answer ?

2. When you buy a new Aircraft carrier and you place it in a sea zone next to an industrial complex, can you Place fighters on it who have been active during the combat or non combat move ? These fighters should be present in the territory of the industrial complex.

3. In the rulebook of the Axis&Allies Classic 2nd Edition it is mentioned that Leningrad is located near the Baltic Sea so that the Russians can move their ships as well in the Baltic sea as in the Barents Sea. Does this counts also for 1942 2nd edition ? And is this only applicable for placing new sea units or can you move really your ships from one seaside of Karelia SSR to the other seaside ?
      b9397a71-e504-4219-858e-5f6db41e9ed4-afbeelding.png

• @COJOH said in Questions about the rules for 1942 2nd edition:

I have following Questions about rules for 1942 2nd edition :

1. I asked following question at “wizardsofthecoast” (helpdesk Avalon Hill) about the bridging of a transport ship : “Can you move a transport ship 2 territories and then use the transport ship as a bridge to move land units over sea, all in the same turn. Or is your turn over after moving the transporter through two sea territories ?
      And I got following answers which rather surprised me :
      “a transport can load units (provided they made not other movement), move, unload those units, then load and unload additional units by bridging because that counts as the movement of those units”
      Do you agree with this answer ?

The answer is wrong:
    Rulebook, page 19:

A transport can load and offload units without moving from the friendly sea zone it is in (this is known as “bridging”). Each such transport is still limited to its cargo capacity. It can offload in only one territory, and once it offloads, it cannot move load, or offload again that turn.

@COJOH said in Questions about the rules for 1942 2nd edition:

1. When you buy a new Aircraft carrier and you place it in a sea zone next to an industrial complex, can you Place fighters on it who have been active during the combat or non combat move ? These fighters should be present in the territory of the industrial complex.

No. You can place existing fighters on newly built carriers. But they have to land in the seazone where the carrier will be placed.

Rulebook, page 21.

Only fighters can land in a sea zone with a friendly carrier present. A landing spot must be available on the carrier.
    Additionally:
    • A fighter can land in a sea zone (even a hostile one) that is adjacent to an industrial complex you own if you will be
    mobilizing an aircraft carrier that you previously purchased in that zone during the Mobilize New Units phase.
    • In order for a fighter to land on a carrier, both units must END their movement in the same sea zone.
    • You must have a carrier move, remain in place, or be mobilized (new carriers only) to pick up a fighter that would
    end its noncombat movement in a sea zone. You cannot deliberately move an air unit out of range of a potential safe
    landing space.

@COJOH said in Questions about the rules for 1942 2nd edition:

1. In the rulebook of the Axis&Allies Classic 2nd Edition it is mentioned that Leningrad is located near the Baltic Sea so that the Russians can move their ships as well in the Baltic sea as in the Barents Sea. Does this counts also for 1942 2nd edition ? And is this only applicable for placing new sea units or can you move really your ships from one seaside of Karelia SSR to the other seaside ?

In 1942.2 Karelia is adjacent to Seazones 5 and 4. Russia of course can place new sea units in either sea zone. Russia cannot move its ships over land from seazone 4 to 5 or vice versa.

HTH :smiley:

• @Panther just to be shore… Those fighters can also land on the carrier after being active during a combat move ?
    About the bridging, I doubt also about the answer of “wizardsofthecoast”.
    Many thanks.

• @Panther said in Questions about the rules for 1942 2nd edition:
    Now that you made it clear that the answer of the helpdesk of Avalon Hill was wrong, I am still not shore about my initial question :
    “Can you move a transport ship 2 territories and then use the transport ship as a bridge to move land units over sea, all in the same turn. Or is your turn over after moving the transporter through two sea territories ?"

@Panther just to be shore… Those fighters can also land on the carrier after being active during a combat move ?

In case the fighters moved during combat move they only need to “save” enough movement points to land in the said SZ (on that carrier) during noncombat move phase.

…, I am still not shore about my initial question :

“Can you move a transport ship 2 territories and then use the transport ship as a bridge to move land units over sea, all in the same turn. Or is your turn over after moving the transporter through two sea territories ?"

Yes, you can.

• @Panther I think it can only be once per turn, though. Once it has bridged one Infantry and one other ground unit, that Transports turn is over and can no longer be used. Otherwise one Transport can bridge a whole army. To bridge larger force groups, you will need enough Transports to move them all.

• @Zombiephobe Welcome to the forum. :smile:
    That is exactly correct, as I proved by the rulebook above (see first part of the posting https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/1242542).

@COJOH 's last question was whether the transport can move two seazones and “bridge” then.

:smiley:

• @Panther tanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m