NW Invitational VanVsTac 1942 LHTR

• '20 '16

Just for my peace of mind. Sorry to spam your email. Still got bad luck. Probably the biggest combat hit differential of the game, but at least I took Moscow. Barely.

• @MillCreek

Holy shit that was close!

Well done, sir!

I was hoping to sneak out of that one and live for 1 more round… I’ll have to take a look at the map and see where we go from here.

• @MillCreek

Imagine if we had diced that out face to face. That would have been so intense!

• '20 '16

You won. That last post was just for my peace of mind. I’d spent a month trying to take Moscow, so I had to see it done. ;-)

• @Canuck12

Since they give us the numbers, I figured I’d compile them. Before that final turn, you had the slight combat hit differential advantage of .68. That German turn was a 16.83 advantage to you! My final “redo” turn was 5.84 advantage to you.

In other words, it was a seemingly pretty fair game of luck, until that last turn.

• @MillCreek

Wow! Holy shit!

I didn’t even see the first post! Haha!

Wow. Yeah, that’s a dicing for sure! I feel bad. I think you had about 82% odds on that battle - but it was extremely swingy. What a heartbreaker!

It just goes to show you what a close game it was all the way through. Basically it came down to one final battle for Moscow - winner take all.

Hell of a game, man!

Honestly, this is the version I play most often and you taught me a thing or two about overall strategy. Kudos!

It’s neat to see how easily it could have gone the other way. I think we can both be proud of a game well played and also take away some lessons for next time. - I know I will.

So do you want me to finish out the British and American turn? Play this out to the required victory cities or is that an official concession?

• @MillCreek

This is true. I have been in that situation many times. It can drive you nuts.

I’ve been trying to explain to myself why I feel like the dice decide so many games (despite what I know about statistics). What I’ve discovered is that in a really good game, where players are well matched it’s often the dice that make the difference, only because without dice-you could see-saw back and forth with each one unable to consistently gain the upper hand.

It goes to show you how tight this one was.

• @MillCreek

Regarding the probabilities and “expected values” of the dice. I have also thought a lot about this. And how it doesn’t exactly tell the whole story.

For example: if you attacked France with 15 guys against my 1. And you had 5 expected hits and got 1 and I had 0.33 expected hits and got 1, that would be recorded as a 4.33 swing in my favour when really, it had no effect on the outcome and you would easily take the territory.

By contrast when you attacked Moscow: being 10 hits under on the first round and me being slightly over basically sunk you. And even if you were 2 points over and I was par for the next 4 rounds. It still would have ended badly for you but the stats would have said it was roughly even.

It would be cool to trace the stats back to the start of the game. I recall taking an undeserved bruising while knocking out the Japanese fleet and I know once you got smacked by the British dice in Baltic states.

Great game overall. I would be game for a re-match if you’re ever interested. I would like to prove I can beat you without a bunch of dice help. I’ve never tried low-luck, but it might be the way to go if we both have something to prove. ;-)

• @Canuck12 said in NW Invitational VanVsTac 1942 LHTR:

@MillCreek

Wow! Holy shit!

I didn’t even see the first post! Haha!

Wow. Yeah, that’s a dicing for sure! I feel bad. I think you had about 82% odds on that battle - but it was extremely swingy. What a heartbreaker!

It just goes to show you what a close game it was all the way through. Basically it came down to one final battle for Moscow - winner take all.

Hell of a game, man!

Honestly, this is the version I play most often and you taught me a thing or two about overall strategy. Kudos!

It’s neat to see how easily it could have gone the other way. I think we can both be proud of a game well played and also take away some lessons for next time. - I know I will.

So do you want me to finish out the British and American turn? Play this out to the required victory cities or is that an official concession?

No need to play it out. I concede. Good game.

Trying to console myself for a month’s efforts, I’m finding solace in remembering the judges’ decisions. That is half of the reason I wanted to play it out. Besides it just being a good game, I wanted to prove I was favored to win. I never claimed to be 100% certain I would win. But 88% to 12%, is evidence to me that I was right. I did lose, but I was favored to win.

As for a rematch, I’m feeling pretty jaded, as evidenced by my crying :cry: , but give it a couple days, and I’ll probably be ready to get back on the horse.

• @MillCreek

Ouch! Losing by dicing makes you want to point the gun at your face.

But alas… it happens.

No worries Mill Creek… remember, I thought you were winning for the split decision which I guess proved true but for different reasons, i.e. the dice.

I will get up to BC soon enough and beat Canuck12 and Gargantua et al like they were little bare cheeked babies

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m