be nice if house rules had it's own zone

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

It used to

• So, House Rules are currently a subcategory under Customizations. Why do you think that’s a bad fit, and where would you put it? I’ve no dog in the fight, I’m just curious.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper Hi Reaper

No fight here. Took me a while to find it. Used to be it’s own headline/topic thingy at the old place.

Customizations seem more figure related and house rules, rules related.

• @barnee Actually the idea was not to have too many top categories. As every house rule, variation and modification is a customization it appeared to be logical to place it here. :smiley:

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@Panther yea I figured that was the reasoning. Took me a while to find it was all. I know where it is now.

I’d probably go by the amount of use a category gets on whether or not it got it’s own zone.

Anyway, still think the new site is better. The “ignoring thing works great” : )

• @barnee Being not top-category is no way a “degradation”. We have other sub-categories that might “deserve” to be a top-category. After the change of the forum software we had 43 top-categories, way too much. So sub-categories are an attempt to collect categories that belong thematically together.

For example next to “house rules” is “other A&A variants”. Over all the years the borders between those two forums are quite fluent, leaving historical intentions. There are topics in “house rules” that would rather belong to “other A&A variants” and vice versa. There are topics that would better be in “customization”. What a project it would be to clean all those years of thread history up :smirk:
    So here it appears to be logical to have them side by side.

So the current structure of the forum is just an attempt to organize everything reasonably, not set in stone, however :smiley:

• Founder TripleA Admin

Well technically it has been de-emphasized. It’s harder to find from the perspective of Google indexing, there is one fewer link that leads from the home page to
    that category.

I know we have a lot of top level categories but we also did on the old forums. It’s just that the theme we’re using isn’t as compact.

Also, aside from TripleA games, House Rules and Customizations are some of the most active forums, why should we hide that?

I’d rather stick Blogs under News (somehow) or just combine them and move House Rules back to top level.

• @djensen Yes, the old forum software allowed to somehow cluster the mass of top categories, so they appeared more sorted and compact. Now the new theme had them all showing up in a somewhat endless list, that’s why categorizing appeared to be a valid solution to us.

Obviously categorizing (top and sub) is not the best way to give categories/forums a logical structure by clustering forums that thematically belong together. As de-emphasizing or hiding has never been our intention.

So instead of breaking the idea of having reasonable groups of forums - are there maybe other supported tools that allow us to group our categories reasonably, preventing from “top and sub, de-emphaszise and hide”?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m