• @taamvan great thoughts there Taamvan!

• '19 '17 '16

@jdow said in We need an allied playbook.:

I prefer none of Iraq or Persia. I do not say NEVER build it, but the only IC I would always advise is Egypt.

If you do this, you can’t build both Iraq and Persia. This is a more defensive strategy. If I knew for sure that the Axis would concentrate on the German-Italian mechanised tag team, I would do so also.

Whereas the Iraq+Persia combo supports the UK ranging into the Caucasus, if they don’t fall to the Nazis.

• '19 '17 '16

@taamvan said in We need an allied playbook.:

Back to Simon33’s question–rewatching GHG’s video he takes Iraq and Persia on UK1, he can bring armor, cruiser shot, infantry, arty, the planes from India (which can land in syria with the rest of the taranto surviving planes). Thats a blowout if you bring it all. He also activates persia.

Hold on, if you bring an arm+art you are using both transports so can’t activate Persia.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@simon33 arm comes via syria from egypt. mech is in alexandria so cant make it.

Watch the video. For years I thought I understood it and his plan is dangerous overall (Sea Lion, Factory Take) but his opener and UK1-3 plan wasnt clear until I carefully watched what he did and tried to imitate it.

All the best.

• '19 '17 '16

@taamvan said in We need an allied playbook.:

@simon33 arm comes via syria from egypt. mech is in alexandria so cant make it.

You have the setup wrong here. Arm starts in Alexandria while the mech starts in Egypt.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@simon33

excuse you old friend—GHG has the setup wrong and I didnt bother to confirm it!

BRING THAT BUGGY

All the best!

• @taamvan

If there is no j1 declaration then I think the Iraq and Persia move is a good one if you want flexability. With war declared, those planes are out of position

• @taamvan could you post a link from this Video please?
    Thank you.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@squirecam

Out of position to do what? They are not needed on UK1-3 to defend UKP, and Japan is usually so tough that 2 planes and a few ships don’t project much threat.

Those planes ARE in position to defend the SB, TB and any other fighters that survive Taranto. One of the worst things that can happen to UK is to win taranto and then land the planes where the Italians can and should wipe them all out because there is only 1 or 0 infantry to protect the planes.

• @taamvan

email me. We can have a private test and I’ll show you what Im talking about.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@squirecam

you can dm me but I dont mess with triple AAA its just too tedious for me. Thanks though and I love the discussion.

• @taamvan

Perhaps at Gencon then. Hope there is one.

• @taamvan said in We need an allied playbook.:

@squirecam

Out of position to do what? They are not needed on UK1-3 to defend UKP, and Japan is usually so tough that 2 planes and a few ships don’t project much threat.

Those planes ARE in position to defend the SB, TB and any other fighters that survive Taranto. One of the worst things that can happen to UK is to win taranto and then land the planes where the Italians can and should wipe them all out because there is only 1 or 0 infantry to protect the planes.

i’ve gone away from Taranto because of losing the planes even if you win, but this is a very interesting scenario utilizing UKP for territory and protection!

• @aaron_the_warmonger

You could lose India though. Japan could have attacked J1 and moved south to attack India J3. Moving those units and fighters out could be the difference.

I advise caution if Japan declared war J1.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@squirecam

Its just the planes, after they take iraq they could all fly east if you wanted them to.

The JDOWJ1 takes UKP money down as quickly as possible. If Japan builds both bases, brings most of his planes, and shuts off the money quickly, it can take India by suffocating its factory and it can do it without needing much luck.

But, that does leave it vulnerable and it has awakened the sleeping giant of USA with extra income so Japan may have less money and position killing india first than otherwise.

• @taamvan

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the middle earth version you talked about had UK taking Iraq and Persia on round 1. The Iraq attack uses the Egypt units but to get Persia you need to transport an infantry as well.

Sure, you could simply transport that unit back. But then you are simply even. When instead you could have brought 4 units into India with those transports and have a better chance on India J3.

The planes that attacked Iraq uk1 land in trans Jordan. Those cannot reach India until uk3. After Japan has already attacked.

If japan declares war j1 and moves to the coast with all transports and air…do not take a single unit out of india. You are just asking Japan to crush it and helping them do so.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@squirecam

They land in Syria–you have a free french infantry there. I don’t think you can reach TJ i dont remember

If japan wants india, it can take it. You may want to make that difficult–but eventually, all those units are trapped there.

The hopeful result is a) you have a roving army of planes that can protect persia/iraq from tha axis and eventually fly to moscow b) that if Japan “steps around the corner” SZ37? its out of position and the USA takes advantage of that by stepping up on the home islands.

You really can’t stop Japan from taking India. You can make it costly in terms of units, time and position though.

• @taamvan

You are correct that they can land in Syria. And there is a french infantry there. But Syria is still to far to get back to India on turn 2. They can only make it to West India.

Japan may or may not be able to take India. That depends upon alot of factors. However, they WILL get India if you remove planes from it and Japan attacks India J3. You have guaranteed a loss of your capital before USA/Anzac/Russia even has the chance to save it.

I dont think it is a winning strategy to intentionally lose your capital on turn 3. But thats just me…

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@squirecam

Lets go back around the corner again so I can reiterate that I personally dont think the Middle Earth Plan as shown by GHG is a great plan. You will lose another capital (London) if you follow his instructions because you need to start putting infantry and fighters into that theatre starting on turn 1 or Germany will note this, bomb you into submission, and take your more important capital before you can fortify it.

India isn’t a lost cause but the most direct Kill India First can’t be stopped barring really great luck. JDOWJ1 takes the income (borneo, hk, turn 1), you can go on to build and use the airbase to stratbomb them, they’re done-zo. That’s just not the best plan for Japan because it happens at the expense of China, Spice and USA.

I believe in a flexible plan–but the OOB version is so tilted to the Axis with so many planes that something is going to have to give.

And you don’t mean intentionally–even if I leave it r underprotected that’s not intent to lose it its simply asking or begging to lose it. I cant create intent for the other player, either. Imprudently is what I think you mean–or haplessly (luckless, though in this case “without requiring them to be lucky”, the reverse).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m