• @crockett36

I’m also against taking Tobruk UK1. It costs UK a transport so I’d rather wait.

However, If you stack sz92 with the UK, Italy should take Greece on I1, blocking UK’s ability to sink their fleet since you won’t be able to bring enough planes. What does Italy usually do turn 1 against you with your usual UK moves?

Because my concern is that while a nice UK fleet is a wonderful thing to have, a strong Italy is worse. So what I’m picturing is stack sz92, Italy turtles its fleet and takes Greece, Alexandria, then on Italy’s 2nd turn, with 2 transports it has enough to take Cairo unless UK drops 2 fighters on it (even then there are variables that lose you Cairo… like a 3rd Italian transport and extra troops from Ethiopia).

• @weddingsinger
    I have seen and tried the following:

UK1 destroy the Italian fleet off Libya then non combat move the UK Fleet to defend with the French fleet and move 2 fighters to the carrier.

Along with that is an effort to eliminate the Italian east Africa force. It opens up Egypt for a turn but on U.K. 1 you should be able to use the Indian ocean transport to move additional infantry from Persia.
    It seems to keep the Italians concerned with saving their fleet but not strong enough to eliminate the U.K. med fleet.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I knew that I had to write that Greece was a disaster, but I didn’t. And that happened.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Glad you guys aren’t pedantic cuz that would suck. Lol

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

You know what’s even better than a dead Italian battleship? A useless Italian battleship. that’s my approach that’s what I want. an Italian player who doesn’t want to lose his big beautiful battleship. That was a historical reality

Egypt is number 4 on my strategic objectives so two say these strategies give up Egypt from my perspective is just not true. I intend to make it look weak turn one to draw Italian attention. Well I gather her forces from the dominions. The best Italian strategy, the one I fear, is can opening for Germany.

• @Argothair said in We need an allied playbook.:

@weddingsinger Happy to start with the low luck games for playtesting – but my speed is more like 1-2 turns a day, and I’m more available on weekends, so I might feel pretty slow to you. If you’d rather play with someone faster, no hard feelings! If not, what side do you want?

That works for me.

How does your time work? Would you like to do 2 games at once, playing both sides? Otherwise, I wouldn’t mind starting as either side, but tend to default to Axis.

• @crockett36

I think I’ll try it. I’m thinking that once the Sea Lion threat is over, moving the UK fleet back to Cairo where the UK’s Indian Ocean ships (2 destroyers and a cruiser) can join up, too, and that French destroyer.

So, do you use a UK transport to take Greece UK1 if Italy doesn’t?

It occurs to me Italy’s fleet might be sinkable UK2 if they send some ships to sink the French ships… but that’s likely to be a destroyer, maybe the sub. So I’m liking the idea of a UK1 bomber along with the air base. Even without Greece as a landing spot, UK can sink Italy’s fleet with 3 fighter scrambles on UK2 IF they have 1 fighter, 1 tactical, 2 bombers, 1 carrier, 2 cruisers, 1 destroyer.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

@M36 the point there would not be to actually have grease yeah, the point would be the l save planes and then get the heck out of there. Or change the order of loss problem with the season 98 and make the residual fleet even deadlier. But you’re just wasting so many resources good money after bad

• @weddingsinger not generally I’m more worried about transporting units from my factories in Persia hands South Africa as long as I possibly can beforer the Japanese arrive turn 5 or 6 for 7.

• @weddingsinger I appreciate the open mindedness.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

@M36 Greece is “endgame” turn seven or eight lone transports with a man and a tank, further peeling the axis onion. Tank in the backfield!

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Let me try to move the football on this discussion 1 foot forward. What is the desired end of the allied play book? For instance which axis dies first? how does it happen? Are they are they invaded? Is it a tour-de-force push in from the West? is it the Soviets sticking them in the back? Does rome fall first? If we can figure out the desired end we can take steps to get there. without the end of mind we are just swatting flies. So let’s pick one say Berlin and grind at it

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

It’s turn 12 to 15 I’ve got a fleet of subs off of Tokyo bay, I’ve got a fleet of subs or ships off of Rome Germany is receiving no income every turn cuz of strategic bombing allies own Paris Normandy Southern France Belgium Norway Finland Greece and a large German force is duking it out deep in Russia while Berlin Burns the Soviets are also fending off with the help of the British the Japanese attempt to rule the world

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Japan’s empire still big but hollow and it also is receiving very little income do the strategic bombing and convoying.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I’m dictating this by the way so spelling errors are Google’s fault

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@weddingsinger said in We need an allied playbook.:

Would you like to do 2 games at once, playing both sides? Otherwise, I wouldn’t mind starting as either side, but tend to default to Axis.

You know what, I’m sorry to get your hopes up, but I think the two games I’m currently playing have got me fully occupied – I forgot that Russia can declare war immediately after Germany takes London, so I suffered what was effectively a surprise attack on my forces in Poland (I would have stacked up differently if I’d realized I was being attacked that turn), so now I’m in two fierce Global games that could go either way. That’s enough for me for now. If you like we can play a casual game as soon as I’m done with one of my current games.

• @crockett36 As I mentioned I have found history to be the best playbook. The Allies practiced “Germany First” and it certainly worked. Japan is easier to isolate being an island nation, so focus on the biggest dog in the fight, Germany.

• @crockett36 I guess ultimately the Allies will need several “playbooks” as their strategy is not only influenced by what moves the Axis make but by which Axis power they want to tackle first.

• '18

@03rlp We discussed merging with the French fleet earlier in this thread. I have done this in the past 2 games. The first game it worked well as an attack went well for the allies, but the second game it was a disaster for UK. The Italians took Southern France first, then attacked the fleet off the coast. One a hit was taken on the carrier the fighters have no where to go if the Italians call the battle off and retreat. But if you lose the fighters your odds of winning decrease significantly.

• @Guam-Solo sorry I steered you wrong Solo. I like Malta now. I like even better the coast of Egypt if UK could afford an airbase. If we’re not paralyzed by fear of that invasion, we could build one. I’ve never done it, but it would turn the tables on the Romans. I think a healthy and growing British fleet in the Med keeps the Italians so focused on the “lake” that it won’t be able to help his neighbor to the north.

I’ve only played one game against a Sea Lion. The Russians and Americans wrecked the Germans who clawed to maintain the isle the rest of the game. It might be the strategy that I want the Huns to do.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m