• '21 '20 '18 '17

With only a few playtest games under my belt, maybe I shouldn’t come to any sweeping conclusions. However, it seems safe to state that Japan begins the game under pressure, with an inadequate income to build against the USA.

Dave decided to open in classic Allied fashion, clipping Manchuria and SE Asia away before Japan gets to play. Since the Allies start with only a few scattered pieces in the Pacific area, it seemed wise to use them (as in 42.2) rather than save them.

It was a great idea; I was forced to spend Japan’s first turn recapturing these two territories. Now, they’re covered in zombies, and by Turn 4, Japan was primarily fighting…zombies. All its coastal territory was shredded and later became a US landing site for airplanes. Having lost those $8, Japan’s native income was $7.

Speaking of zombies, those guys really dissuade attacks, especially the expensive amphibious invasions. At least 4 attacks by various teams in one game ended up being pre-annihilated by zombies, leading to stalemate. The game designers realized that zombies are a regressive mechanic (consistently blocking income increase), and so the cards had to compensate. And boy, do they. Dave won 2 free fighters with Russia using the special reinforcements card. I wiped out 4 stacks of zombies and cleared the Germ/Russia zombie wall with one turn of free camouflaged attacks + chainsaw tanks. I got two of the +$1 per zombie kill, and killed ten ($20 reward). While the cards add some fun variability, you really have to be ready to exploit what they say, as it can be more than your regular income!

The USA was easily able to build against my fleet. Putting 15 up against 32 would mean that by turn 4, he’s going to win a toe to toe battle. KJF seems like a great idea, the only logical defense by Japan would mean keeping everything together, this fleet might live until Turn 5 or Turn 6 (and can’t go anywhere it has to protect Japan). Eventually, I was overwhelmed, and Japan? Easily conquered.

Since there aren’t any zombies in the water, the oceans play out like the conventional game. US does have to deal with some zombies, but this only requires pre-occupying 10 or so IPC worth of defenders and it also gives them some rewards for doing so. The zombies really dissuade conventional “territory take” attacks because 4-5 attackers can easily be reduced by 4 zombies, there are times where 1 defender stands alone against 5-8 zombies and enemy units and just gets lucky.

The game itself requires tracking two new things–zombie control and tech. These should be pretty simple, but its easy to forget the distinction between just killing zombies and taking their territory–which gives you extra infantry. The tech is pretty clean and simple, but remembering to use it and keeping the tokens straight on a chaotic board and while you’re learning how the zombies affect turn order is a challenge.

Next game plan? Make Dave play Axis.

• @taamvan Thanks for the write up. I am getting mine for my birthday (4 weeks away), so is good to hear your thoughts on it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m