Rule question regarding allies as defenders against zombies

• So in order for me to explain the situation, you have to already understand how to play zombies and this didn’t cross my mind to ask the developers because I just encountered it now.

So here is the situation: Zombies are co existing with Japanese troops, Germany wants to attack the Zombies in Japanese territories. So when Zombies roll for their attack, Germany being the attacker can only be attacked if the Zombie rolls an “A”. What in this situation makes Japanese troopers? I don’t have an answer for this. What I told my buddy and we agreed with is that because Japan is not the aggressor, that technically makes them the defender so Zombies would have to roll a “D” to attack them. However, officially by rule, I am not sure how to actually treat this. I am 99% sure Japanese soldiers can’t attack the zombies with Germany so this is the only way I can see this working.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

I don’t have my copy yet but I imagine Japanese troops are treated as neutral.

Closest comparison I can think of is this hypothetical, from G40:

USSR has a navy in the same SZ as UK navy.
    Germany is at war with UK but not with USSR.
    I’m 99% sure in this situation the German navy fights UK navy and USSR navy sits out the fight.

So for Zombies, the Germans fight the Zombies and the Japanese sit out.

• @Caesar:

So in order for me to explain the situation, you have to already understand how to play zombies and this didn’t cross my mind to ask the developers because I just encountered it now.

So here is the situation: Zombies are co existing with Japanese troops, Germany wants to attack the Zombies in Japanese territories. So when Zombies roll for their attack, Germany being the attacker can only be attacked if the Zombie rolls an “A”. What in this situation makes Japanese troopers? I don’t have an answer for this. What I told my buddy and we agreed with is that because Japan is not the aggressor, that technically makes them the defender so Zombies would have to roll a “D” to attack them. However, officially by rule, I am not sure how to actually treat this. I am 99% sure Japanese soldiers can’t attack the zombies with Germany so this is the only way I can see this working.

How would this work if the Germans were attacking into a British-held territory with Zombies in it? It would work like that, only you obviously restrict your hits to the Zombies instead of your fellow-Axis-power Japanese troops. So, from what I understand, the Zombies would roll A to hit the Germans and D to hit the Japanese. Since it’s the German turn, the Japanese troops just kind of hang out until their turn. At which point, if the Japanese attacked the Zombies in their territory with the Germans present, when the Zombies make their roll an A would hit the Japanese (who are doing the attacking at this point) and a D would hit the Germans (who are likewise hanging out while the Japanese troops do their thing).

Make sense?

-Midnight_Reaper

• Official Q&A

@DoManMacgee:

I don’t have my copy yet but I imagine Japanese troops are treated as neutral.

Closest comparison I can think of is this hypothetical, from G40:

USSR has a navy in the same SZ as UK navy.
    Germany is at war with UK but not with USSR.
    I’m 99% sure in this situation the German navy fights UK navy and USSR navy sits out the fight.

So for Zombies, the Germans fight the Zombies and the Japanese sit out.

This.  There is no defender in the battle, so defender results on zombie dice have no effect.

• @Midnight_Reaper:

@Caesar:

So in order for me to explain the situation, you have to already understand how to play zombies and this didn’t cross my mind to ask the developers because I just encountered it now.

How would this work if the Germans were attacking into a British-held territory with Zombies in it? It would work like that, only you obviously restrict your hits to the Zombies instead of your fellow-Axis-power Japanese troops. So, from what I understand, the Zombies would roll A to hit the Germans and D to hit the Japanese. Since it’s the German turn, the Japanese troops just kind of hang out until their turn. At which point, if the Japanese attacked the Zombies in their territory with the Germans present, when the Zombies make their roll an A would hit the Japanese (who are doing the attacking at this point) and a D would hit the Germans (who are likewise hanging out while the Japanese troops do their thing).

Make sense?

-Midnight_Reaper

If you engage a territory owned by your enemy, you have to attack the territory. Fortunately because of the dice, you are also attacking zombies.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m