• '20 '19 '18

I’ve been using the white HBG dutch infantry units to represent the neutral armies on the board.

However I’m wondering what your thoughts are on distinguishing between true, pro-axis and pro-allied neutrals by using different colors. I like the idea of representing the mongolian rule by using yellow sculpts as long as the rule is still in effect and changing to white/russian when the treaty is broken.

I’m not sure about using red/blue for the pro-axis/pro-allied troops. Does it add to the experience or is it distracting? I like a clean board so I’m concerned the different colors will turn the board into a circus. Curious what your experiences/thoughts are.

• For me Ive used many different colors for neutrals. Depends on what the game has as far as neutral rules and countries. I have up to 9 or 10 in another game.

My basic  Neutrals colors.

Strict - White
    Pro Allies - US dark green
    Pro Axis - Painted Rust

All you have to do is either paint them 2 colors or buy 2 different colors from HBG.

• '14 Customizer

Check out this link:

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33966.30

You can see I used the exact colors you specified a couple years ago. I painted mine now but a few years ago I used the same color scheme.

• '20 '19 '18

That was the inspiration for my question. I was just wondering what your experience is in using these. Does it add to the gaming experience or is it distracting?
    For the mongolian rule I feel it is very useful. Just unsure about the pro-axis/allies.
    The only time I feel it would really add to the experience is when the true neutrals are attacked and pick a side. Although this happens quite infrequently and thus does not require a reminder since everyone will know it has happened.

• @Quirky:

That was the inspiration for my question. I was just wondering what your experience is in using these. Does it add to the gaming experience or is it distracting?
    For the mongolian rule I feel it is very useful. Just unsure about the pro-axis/allies.
    The only time I feel it would really add to the experience is when the true neutrals are attacked and pick a side. Although this happens quite infrequently and thus does not require a reminder since everyone will know it has happened.

For me Im all for it. I love seeing all these different armys on map. I like to show every body that plays my games who is what in game. Whether I have Fins blue, Holland bright yellow, Poland off green, Romania yellow, Bulguria light grey and Hungrey dark grey, Com China off brown yellow, Free French dark blue,  Stricts white, pros Dark green and Rust, Elite inf Red, Gold metalic, grey, off white, super dark green and off brown…
    Some pro neutrals need to have there own color due to having some income and buying power. This way all can see what the all Axis Pro Minors bought.

Its easier for new players to see what the armys are for. To much for newbies no. G40 is simple. 3 colors.

For anything in my game as far as outside the OOB piece they all are colored or have some kind of white on them. Air Transports wing tips white. Paratroopers helmets painted white. Everything on my map you can see what the piece is because a lot of times people miss what they have.

• One way to split the difference is to have all the neutral armies (strict neutrals, pro-Axis, pro-Allies and pro-Soviet Mongolian) represented by a single model and colour of infantry sculpt, but to place a little flag (mounted on a toothpick, stuck into some sort of base) next to each army indicating its current political status.  If the status of an army changes, the sculpts remain the same but the flag is replaced by a new flag.  It would be easy and cheap to home-manufacture a whole bunch of flags, enough to cover every possible status of every neutral territory on the board.

As a possible option, I’ve attached below a double-sided version of two imaginary flags I once put together, one for the major Allied powers and one for the major Axis powers.  They’re much too big in their current form for use as map flags, but what you could do is shrink them down, then paste as many as can fit into one page of a Word document, then print multiple copies on a colour printer.  Cut out each paired flag with a pair of scissors, then fold them around a toothpick along the white line to create a double-sided flag and use some white glue to hold the two halves together (and to hold the flag to the toothpick).  To creates bases, one option would be buy a brick of air-drying clay from an art supply store or hobby shop: take little pieces of clay and mould them into small bases (shaped like Hersey Kiss chocolates), stick a toothpick into the top of each base and let dry.

Allied Majors Joint Flag Foldable.jpg
    Axis Majors Joint Flag Foldable.jpg

• By the way, when I wrote that “they’re much too big in their current form”, I meant the full-sized, full-resolution version you get when you click on the pictures to expand them.  The miniature icons that display in the message before you click on them are actually about right for use as flags, though much low-resolution and not as good looking.

I didn’t create any flag design for the political status of neutrals when they’re still neutral, but that could be as simple as a white flag.  I suppose multiple might actually be desirable, to indicate the varous types of neutrals, but I have no idea what would be a good design for them.

• I bought white neutral Infantry and colored chips at HBG.

I use white chips for true neutral, black chips for pro axis and light blue chips for pro allies.
    The number of chips indicates the number of additional units as usual.

• I got these for my Middle East Neutrals

middle east.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m