Problems running 1.9.0.0.12226 with Win7 32bit

• '22 '16

Please doubleclick the file  TripleA(.exe) and report what happens.  the triple A logo flashes onscreen for a split second then nothing else happens

Your installed RAM shows when clicking “System” in the “Control Panel”. 3GB (2.86GB usable)

• '22 '16

@P@nther:

@majikforce

Already night here, so I will be off for the next about 10-12 hours.
    To enable you to try out something more during the next hours, here is my next idea:

I expect that executing the triplea.exe will not work flawlessly.
    I also expect that your RAM is less than 4 GB, maybe only 2 GB.

This is what you can try next:

In the TripleA installation folder you will find a file called “TripleA.vmoptions”

Please open this file in any editor.
    You will notice, that there are only two lines inside:

-Xmx2G
    -Xms2G

Please edit this so that it reads

-Xmx1G
    -Xms1G

Save the file then. Be sure that the filename does not change when saving.

Execute the triplea.exe again, after that. Opened the file with notepad and changed it to Xms1G but when I go to save it it asks if I want to overwrite TripleA.vmoptions.  I click yes and it tells me access is denied.

In case it still does not work, you can try

-Xmx512M
    -Xms512M

Try it again then.

Good luck :-)

• '19 '17 '16

Do you get the same problems when nothing else is running? 3GB should be enough to run Triple A. I can’t remember how to check virtual memory on Windows but it shouldn’t matter really.

Sounds like you need admin privileges to edit that file. I think you can right click and get an option “run as a different user”. BTW, I wouldn’t reduce the maximum memory so significantly to 1G, just reduce the minimum.

• @majikforce:

Opened the file with notepad and changed it to Xms1G but when I go to save it it asks if I want to overwrite TripleA.vmoptions.� I click yes and it tells me access is denied.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows User Access Control in System directories such as “c:\program files”. ;-)

To overcome this, you need to run the editor as administrator.

To save us some time I have attached both files.

Just remove the file extensions so that the filename changes from for example “TripleA.vmoptions.1G.txt” to only “TripleA.vmoptions”.
    Copy this file into the TripleA installation directory. Windows will prompt you with the UAC-window when trying to overwrite. Confirming this should work, than.

Alternatively you could uninstall TripleA via the control panel and reinstall it back - but into a different target-directory, such as C:\Games\TripleA (you need to create a directory “Games” before). This will prevent from dealing with admin rights in system directories.

TripleA.vmoptions.1G.txt
    TripleA.vmoptions.512M.txt

• @simon33:

Do you get the same problems when nothing else is running? 3GB should be enough to run Triple A.

I agree, Simon, 3 GB should be enough, normally.

His old version that ran flawlessly, had the vmoptions with 1G, so that is what makes me hope that the tweak will work.

If this does not fix the problem, I will ask the devs to take a look at this issue.

Maybe you have another idea?

• '19 '17 '16

My only faintest idea is perhaps he’s on a suspicious Java version:

java.runtime.version 1.8.0_181-b13

I don’t know anything negative about this version on Win32 but perhaps there’s a problem?

• @simon33:

My only faintest idea is perhaps he’s on a suspicious Java version:

java.runtime.version 1.8.0_181-b13

I don’t know anything negative about this version on Win32 but perhaps there’s a problem?

Neither do I, I am running that version, but 64 bit. No issues here.
    No other negative user experience that I am aware of.

• '22 '16

@P@nther:

@majikforce:

Opened the file with notepad and changed it to Xms1G but when I go to save it it asks if I want to overwrite TripleA.vmoptions.� I click yes and it tells me access is denied.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows User Access Control in System directories such as “c:\program files”. ;-)

To overcome this, you need to run the editor as administrator.

To save us some time I have attached both files.

Just remove the file extensions so that the filename changes from for example “TripleA.vmoptions.1G.txt” to only “TripleA.vmoptions”.
    Copy this file into the TripleA installation directory. Windows will prompt you with the UAC-window when trying to overwrite. Confirming this should work, than.

Alternatively you could uninstall TripleA via the control panel and reinstall it back - but into a different target-directory, such as C:\Games\TripleA (you need to create a directory “Games” before). This will prevent from dealing with admin rights in system directories.

Got it!  I will give it a go tonight.  At work right now.  Thanks for all your help.  I really apprecitate it!

• '22 '16

Okay changed the file and it seems to be running great!  Thanks so much for all your help.  You need a raise :-D  Although my wife does dislike you very much right now :wink:  Game on!

• @majikforce:

Although my wife does dislike you very much right now :wink:

If I only had known that before…  :wink:

Great that we sorted that out. Now enjoy gaming  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m