Top Three Expansions to Play With

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Hey all. Been gone and busy for a while. Hoping to jump back in here more vocally!

This, and a topic I will post next, are things I’ve been meaning to ask for a while. There might be other areas where discussed, but I’m not seeing. I love so many of the expansions, and I usually want to use basically all of them that I like, but I know that gets to be a lot to work with after a while. It also gets hard when not everyone knows the rules as well, and they forget what can/can’t be done, or have to have constant reminders (which slows game play down).

So my question is, what are your top three expansions you like to play with, and why?

Possibly a hard question to answer, but I’m curious how you all pair it down!

• We play the 1939 scenario.

Our top expansions:

Winter War, because it helps keeping USSR out of Scandinavia
    DAK, because it gives Germany a chance to participate in Africa
    Sunderland (seaplanes), because the Allies needs units with CAP range of 2 to effectively do something about German subs.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Munck:

We play the 1939 scenario.

Our top expansions:

Winter War, because it helps keeping USSR out of Scandinavia
    DAK, because it gives Germany a chance to participate in Africa
    Sunderland (seaplanes), because the Allies needs units with CAP range of 2 to effectively do something about German subs.

Thanks Munck! Good points for all. I don’t play the 1939 scenario really, but they obviously are the same concept regardless.

I like how all three have a direct impact on one of the three powers. Winter War effects USSR negatively. DAK effects Axis positively. And Sunderland effects Allies positively.

Good to round all that out.

• Hi there,

My group has tinkered with both the 1936 and 1939 scenarios. We own most of the expansions but as of late our top 3 have been Winter War, US War Plans, and Turkey at War.

Winter War- We use this to make the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact more of a serious question for the Soviet Union and to give Finland a chance while adding pieces to Russia as well.

US War Plans- This one is a new favorite and has more potency with the '39 scenario but does work well with the '36 scenario. We use it mainly to help the US set itself better for the war in the Atlantic with Plans Grey and Indigo. Plan Citron also helps in South America as lately Germany has been successfully aligning Argentina which causes problems.

Turkey at War- Who doesnt love a little added spice to the Mediterranean? The rules are fairly simplistic and Turkey really can become the linchpin for keeping or loosing the Med. If the Allies get it, it will help out France/Free France put the screws to Italy with Britain’s aid. The Axis getting it guarantees Mare Nostrum for Italy and allows for a spring board into the Balkans, Middle East, the Caucasus and Kiev. If the Soviets get it, say goodbye to the Balkans and much of the Middle East. So Turkey can really shake up Europe and the Med so it’s great.

Hope that helps.

• Sponsor

Oil Wars-it creates competition for that scarce resource and brings more definition to the map.
    Diplomacy (in development)-will allow for another form of national power to come into realization, and align many of the neutrals that never see the game.
    Veterans (in development)-will allow you to recognize groups of units (not just individual ones) and perhaps leverage their cohesive esprit de corps advantage to lead your most important operations.

• Partisans- Especially in China and the USSR, it adds a lot of hilarity and damage to the countries that deal with them.
    Turkey at war- It’s basically a huge lottery. Tons of fun. Best part is when a nation decides to just attack it and take it for all the money!
    Elite of the Reich/Soviet Union- it adds more intensity to the war, which is always great. Really shows the strength of each army, to a different level.

• Global War recently released Zombie and Atlantis expansions, has anyone tried either of those? They look like they would be lots of fun and a good way to spice up an otherwise traditional wargame scenario.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m