• If the Soviets can attack Finland and win, its all theirs. So Germany might want to get there first.

Yes, the Soviets can attack pro-axis forces, or activate pro Allied territories before it is at war with the germans

• Wow these rules look really fun. Can’t wait to set the board up to start to see the nuances of the 1939 version. I bet I might have some questions after I do that.  First thing that comes to mind though is when and if the axis attack the Dutch.  I can see a scenario where the Germans wait to take Belgium to allow the Japanese to focus elsewhere before focusing on the money islands.

• '19

This looks great!  I will definitely give this a spin in the future.  We played your 1941 set up earlier this year via YouTube and we really enjoyed it.  Keep up the good work Oztea!

• @carsonbparker:

Wow these rules look really fun. Can’t wait to set the board up to start to see the nuances of the 1939 version. I bet I might have some questions after I do that.  First thing that comes to mind though is when and if the axis attack the Dutch.  I can see a scenario where the Germans wait to take Belgium to allow the Japanese to focus elsewhere before focusing on the money islands.

Ah, we discovered this in a playtest also. However, without control of Belgium/Holland on turn 1. German fighters and tactical bombers can’t attack the Allied fleets in the Channel Area. So it let the allies move them around with no fear, and could send the UK fighters away that were there for scramble cover to do other things.

• '19 '18 '17 '16

Great to see the 1939 version. Absolutely love your 1941 version, which is my favorite of all the house rule set ups I’ve seen.

• Hello, haven’t done the set up yet but I was curious, if you were to make Canada a separate power, how would you change the setup, if any?

• On the subject of Benelux neutrality.
    I have run this set up twice, once as Japan now Germany, currently turn 3 and still not taken.
    It seems the only motivation for taking Belgium, besides possible landing spot, is the printed Ipc and a 3 Ipc N.O. I figure the 6 Ipc loss is worth keeping Anzac and FEC out of the money islands. Coordinating with J for simultaneous assault.
    Maybe the Maginot needs to be put in? One of the reasons for them going through Belgium. Either nerf the Germans or buff the French in some way when France is attacked while Benelux neutral.
    My first thought was -1 G rolls. Considered bypassed when half of F inf. is lost. And/or a preemptive barrage, like shelling amphibious landing troops in1914.
    Just ideas so far, nothing has been tested yet.

Have fun.

• Would love to play this on triple a!!!

• @DessertFox599

I’ve been wanting to add it for a while along with his 42. I’ll look it over again and see what it’d take as it’s a little different than just adjusting units and game start.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

yea this will take some time. Think triplea should be able to do everything except the russian LendLease infantry placement if moscow is captured. That should be pretty easy to player enforce though.

I guess for countries not listed (Finland,Sweden,etc…) I’ll just go with oob set up. Have a couple other things to finish up and then I’ll give it a go

• @Phelan-Kell
    The landing spot is pretty important for turn 2 to threaten UK ships with the German airforce, without it your fighters range is extremely limited so the UK has more of a free hand. When and if Japan takes the money islands anyway then all the other Benelux territories become pro-allied too.

A rule to solve this might perhaps be that for each turn that Beneulux is not attacked, it either trades with the allies in some way, or simply adds some quantity of units to Belgium per turn (allowing it to spend all 15 of it’s cash on hand as if it was China would probably be ludicrous, thats 5 more infantry Germany would have to deal with so they would never ignore attacking it first turn and would make the whole point of the rule pointless. Hypothetically creating a new set of allied National Objectives might be a way to solve this.

BENELUX
    Gateway to Europe
    While neutral, and all original Benelux territories are controlled by Benelux 5 IPCs of collected income is distributed to each of United Kingdom, United States, ANZAC

However that again would probably just mean Germany attacks the first turn to get their own bonus, and rob the allies of this one.
    You are correct in establishing the reason why Germany attacked the low countries, for a better attack path on to Paris. But that requires new mechanical special rules for the maginot line and whatnot. Even though the Maginot line was never intended to totally stop Germany, it was only designed to absorb an attack for 60 days while France could ramp up to full mobilization, so don’t treat it as an impenetrable line in your mind. Germany could very well ignore Belgium all game, and the Japanese can ignore it too and go for an attack on the USSR and get that new bonus.

• I am considering a Vichy France special rule as well. Considering it’s pretty dramatic how the game lacks it.

Special Rules

• The first time Paris is captured by Germany a Vichy French government may be formed. Roll two dice and select that many originally French territories and place an Axis control marker of your choice on them. Any French units within these territories are moved by an Allied player to an adjacent allied controlled territory or England.

@oztea good timing. Figured you probably still checked in once in a while. I’m pretty close to finishing this for triplea. Have a unit issue slowing me down at the moment.

Anyway, I can add any changes or most probably, as a “Map Option” so it’s not hardcoded into the mod if you like a idea but haven’t tested it fully. Just a thought.

Could do something simple such as adding 1 or 2 Dutch dudes per turn if you wanted for the above Dutch issue.

Also could add a “Bunker” unit to France if you wanted to represent the Maginot and have it disappear if you attacked Belgium first. Maybe not disappear but have their defense value go to 0. They’d still soak a hit that way though. I use them as D3 takes 2 hits to kill. Can bomb them too. The trick would be to find the right balance so you wouldn’t automatically go one way or the other. Anyway, just another thought.

• @barnee I try to avoid adding new pieces or stuff that people might not have because it didn’t come with the game box itself. France kinda doesn’t need a Maginot rule because I don’t want them to survive too long, if they do then the game will probably end up in a broken state anyway. Nor do I want to force Germany to attack Holland/Belgium because they didn’t do that in the first world war and they may have broken through the maginot line anyway with their tanks in 1940, based on how they obliterated the Belgian forts.

@oztea right on makes sense

This is up on triplea now. It’s under “Experimental”. I just tested things as they were added and am still on the first full test game, so keep an eye out for incorrect behavior.

Added a Dutch option:

Optional
    Dutch Assist. Beginning round 2, adds 1 Infantry to Holland Belgium after German Non Combat Move every turn until Holland is attacked and conquered. Activates via “Map Options”.

Didn’t do anything for the Vichy. You can use the in game dice roller and “Edit” if you want for it. For anyone who doesn’t know, the dice roller is located on the top bar under “Game”.

Years ago Xeno Games had a vichy rule that went something like this: After France fell you rolled for each of the remaining French Territories and Sea Zones. 1-3 they stayed Free. 4-6 they turned Vichy. Their units, if any, turned German. It didn’t have Italy. The Sea Zones was “1” = turn German, “2-4” scuttled and “5-6” turned British. Something like that.

Anyway, just a thought for whatever you decide on. Will try and add any changes that triplea can do when they’re posted.

@oztea

Clarification on a couple objectives needed. “MidEast Oil” and “Med Power Centers” for Italy. Currently in triplea one just needs Axis control not Italian for “Power Centers” and need Italian control instead of presence for “Mideast Oil”.

The way it’s written it seems that it is Italian control and Italian presence. Is that correct ?

Don’t see how France can be saved turn 2. Even sending all UK air, if Germany doesn’t, Italy should still dust it. May be by design, but with game start 2 turns in advance, seems they’d get one more. Would leave a large Allied Fleet, but killing France would be the objective after consolidating the neutrals, I would think.

Anyway, gonna start another one, this was just a couple round tester : )

Hmm…seems Egypt is gonna be hard to save rd 3. Might be able to dust the Italian Fleet, but maybe not. Even so, a pretty big land army for Italy and they have that somalia force that needs to be dealt with as well. We’ll see how it plays out :)

Looks as if the French ships are gonna have to help. Still won’t stop the army but …might be enough. Looks pretty touch and go heh heh

Idk, maybe that Italian Army needs to be reduced a bit. Sure seems tough for Egypt. I could easily be missing something though : )

Updated triplea to version 1.2

Germany and Italy just need a unit present for the “mideast oil” objective and Italy must control the territories for the “Power Objective”.

Curious if there’s a reason why Japan shouldn’t attack France. Would only be a 3 dollar hit and gives them the ability to build infrastructure.

Anyway…Rock On

Changer.png

• This setup still has too much of an Axis tilt. The point about Japan attacking France is a good point. And I have had people mention this should have a Vichy rule.

US national objective for the homeland might go up to 15, and or the UK get some more units near Egypt (a fighter maybe)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m