• '18 '17

I was fortunate enough to be part of a sneak peak of the new game last night at WotC. There were about 30 or so of us there. I met some number of esteemed members of this community. There was an introduction, some obligatory photos of everyone attending and then an opportunity to play the new game.

A few thoughts:

• WotC did a great job with the pieces of the game. The military pieces are stock from other versions of the game. The zombies are cool, with three different sculpts. The zombie dice are etched/engraved, which was a nice touch. While minor, the blood-spattered paper money was a nice touch as well.
    • The map is smallish (to someone accustomed to playing G40). Russia’s capital is adjacent to German occupied territory, which led to a critical mistake on my part during the play through.
    • Game play is different, but familiar. The turn sequence has been modified to account for the addition of the zombies. Zombies almost always attack/bite first. While not a huge variable, zombies are an interesting twist to gameplay that makes for some new strategies. For example, should I lose an infantry in this battle (and create a new zombie) or lose an artillery (and not make a zombie). Or, should I attack their infantry stack with the sole intention of creating a bunch of zombies, calling off the attack just shy of capturing the territory.
      -  A&A vets will pick up on the game quickly. The zombie rules are not difficult to understand. I think players new to A&A shouldn’t have a problem learning, since gameplay is rather simplified.
    • My poor play aside, I felt the victory condition was a bit wonky. Once one side captures a capital of the opponent, they win at that end of that round as long as they also own all of their side’s capitals. Unlike other versions, where a team had a full additional game turn to recapture the fallen capital, in Zombies you don’t. In our game, I left Moscow vulnerable. Marshmallow of War took advantage, captured my capital on Germany’s turn (who go second, after Russia). My team mates were unable to liberate Moscow by the end of the game turn, end with an Allied loss. All rather sudden, in my opinion.

All things considered, I enjoyed the game. Will it be something we play every weekend? No. But it is a game I see our group playing on occasion when we don’t want to invest 20 or more hours in a game of G40.

Lastly, I would like the thank the folks at WotC for their generosity. All who attended were give a copy of the game, as well as an opportunity to pick up a copy of another WotC game (I got A&A 1914). Also, thanks to Marshmallow of War and the folks of Greater Puget Sound Axis and Allies Meetup Group.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

I echo your sentiments, the only thing I’m sore about is that I didn’t get a free advance copy of the game like you did.

• The only thing I’m sore about is that we wont get a chain saw Tank like they promised us, because they spend the money on 3 different zombie sculpts instead

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The chainsaw tank is just for your imagination, and for future HBG like profiteers who will need to actually create these models.

A multi-part and detailed Scandinavian war to replace 3 entire countries being represented by one square is a reality.

• @taamvan:

The chainsaw tank is just for your imagination, and for future HBG like profiteers who will need to actually create these models.

No, as I explained elsewhere: the Chainsaw tank is in the game. It’s a technology you research, not a separate piece that you buy. You get the Chainsaw tank technology, now all of your tanks are better at fighting Zombies.

I think you’ll be proven right about the third-party market stepping up with actual plastic Chainsaw tanks to play with.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Navymule: Thanks for the rundown of the event. This is looking to be something quite interesting. I’ll reserve a judgment of “good” or “bad” until I get a chance to play it for myself.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @taamvan:

A multi-part and detailed Scandinavian war to replace 3 entire countries being represented by one square is a reality.

I know you are just joking, but I think you should be a better man than bringing our differencies from the Polar Express thread into the Zombie zone. I would never go that low on you, because I got self respect. In fact, I am as we speak in the process of designing a Scandinavian game based on A&A BotB, only with terrain. Different units will have specific movement range, and also different terrain will effect movement. Like motorized units have unlimited spaces of movement if they travel by roads, but cant move into mountain terrain. Norwegian ski-troops move 3 spaces when in snow, German mountain troops move 2 spaces in snow, they used snowshoes and not skis, but they can climb and cross mountain ranges. Regular British, French, Polish and Swedish infantry only move 1. Artillery work by shelling adjacent spaces, not charging like they were some kind of infantry. Tanks absorb two hits, etc etc, lots of new rules but I like to keep it KISS. Aircrafts will have its own specific combat phase, with dog-fights and carpet bombing, and not like some kind of advanced infantry like they are in the current A&A games. Enough. Buy my game when its ready. Then we can talk. Today zombies are the topic. Respect that !!! Man.

• It’s quite sad no one saw the Zombine hit 25 dollars.

• @Narvik:

@taamvan:

I know you are just joking, but I think you should be a better man than bringing our differencies from the Polar Express thread into the Zombie zone. I would never go that low on you, because I got self respect. In fact, I am as we speak in the process of designing a Scandinavian game based on A&A BotB, only with terrain. Different units will have specific movement range, and also different terrain will effect movement. Like motorized units have unlimited spaces of movement if they travel by roads, but cant move into mountain terrain. Norwegian ski-troops move 3 spaces when in snow, German mountain troops move 2 spaces in snow, they used snowshoes and not skis, but they can climb and cross mountain ranges. Regular British, French, Polish and Swedish infantry only move 1. Artillery work by shelling adjacent spaces, not charging like they were some kind of infantry. Tanks absorb two hits, etc etc, lots of new rules but I like to keep it KISS. Aircrafts will have its own specific combat phase, with dog-fights and carpet bombing, and not like some kind of advanced infantry like they are in the current A&A games. Enough. Buy my game when its ready. Then we can talk. Today zombies are the topic. Respect that !!! Man.

Gees another game I got to buy ? Well I guess so. Anything as close to historic.  8-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m