A G strategy that needs some serious feedback!!!

• Hello,

Yesterday I was wondering…
    I know about the discussion of the G1 built of 1 AC or 2 (some say 3) trannies in the Baltic…

What if G1 builds 5 transports (40 IPC’s) for the Baltic fleet…
    OK, I admit: this puts the eastern front much in danger!!!
    Depending on what UK does?
    would there be an opening for G to invade UK in G2 if UK doesn’t make defensive buys?

UK1 can buy:
    3 armor and 5 infantery (best defensive units he can buy at a limit of 8 producing units)
    he can move his canadian armor to UK
    so he could have: 7 inf, 1 art, 5 armor, 2 figs, 1 bomber.
    he can put his BB and his remaining trannie in blocking position and he gets support from the Russian sub…
    UK can recieve 2 inf, 1 art, 1 arm, 1 fig and 1 bomber from USA as well (moving their destroyer and 2 trannies to UK)
    so, if they put all these units together, it’s a no attack situation!
    But if they don’t!!!
    maybe it’s a party…

now, what can G do? you can overkill both fleets with much ease with support of your AF and your BB in the med that can reach the UK destroyer and the 2 trannies.

I’m mostly rambling ideas here…
    I know there is probably no cohesion of any sort :-)
    and most likely I’m forgetting important things…
    but feel free to adjust my fluid of thoughts…

Once you killed the UK and USA fleet, you rule the Atlantic for now, probably even with 3 or 4 trannies (maybe more).
    Problem is, what to do with it?
    attacking UK is no option any more (it’s a fortress already)

but did the G1 buy do any good do you suppose?
    'cause you FORCED UK and USA to make a defense stance, while you can lure their fleets into disaster…

you invest 40 IPC’s.
    they lose BB, 3 trannies, destroyer (totalling 24+24+12 = 60) and you lose maybe 2 or 3 trannies (totalling 16 to 24).
    (i didn’t make a calc on this)
    your investment isn’t gone! you can move your fleet to the Baltic and ship large amounts of slow units deep into the Russian front at once if needed!

remember this: normally the 2 USA trannies go to Africa to help UK out! now this fleet is dead 'cause they had to fortify UK…

important drawback: the first thing you have to do on the eastern front is take a defensive stance, 'cause you will not have infantery backing you up in G1!!! (only in G2)

Anyhow. I’m wondering what this thread that surfaced my thoughts yesterday will have as reactions from you guys!

• If you expect the enemy to not build full defense when you plop down 5 transports you are crazy.

That’s too much money spent in the baltic, you will crumble if the allies have anywhere near decent play.

• The Allies don’t have to try a naval block at all. If UK simply builds 5 inf 3 arm, reinforces with the arm from Canada, and the US drops off 2 inf 1 art 1 arm 1 fig 1 bomber in London on their first turn, then the UK is fine. No need to foolishly send the navy out to try to block the invasion.

• meanwhile ussr hands germany their a** in europe. i like the threat of a uk invasion to force some defensive purchases but all my income in trannies is suicide on the mainland (imho)

• 2007 AAR League

All cash on boats would most likley result in suicide……

• meanwhile ussr hands germany their a** in europe. i like the threat of a uk invasion to force some defensive purchases but all my income in trannies is suicide on the mainland (imho)

Quoted for truth. I’ve tried a couple of full naval builds as Germany back in the day and all it results in is Russia on Berlin’s doorstep on like turn 3 or 4.

• i did one game with a build g1 of 1 ac and 1 tranny, took gib with the med fleet so i had 3 trp in range of london- forced uk to buy defensively for one round and then i linked and played havoc in the atlantic until i died (2-3 rounds) bought just enough time for japan to make it to moscow. but russia was taking it to me pretty good for the first 3 rounds because i was backpedaling in europe until my troop buys could catch up. if uk/usa had gotten around my fleet one round sooner i wouldn’t have been able to push back and it would have been lights out for berlin.  timing is everything!

• The key thing to remember when Germany tries an all naval (especially all tranny) build in G1 and UK is “forced to go defensive” and build land units…

Those land units are not just “defensive”, they are also future combat forces… forces that UK would HAVE to build anyway in order to land in Europe.  They just build the land forces first, then start on the naval forces, instead of the other way around, or mixed builds.

UK builds their future offense, blocks the German trannies, then USSR marches to about Eastern and/or Balkans on R2, US and UK blow any German navy out of the water in Turns 2-3, then land heavy in Europe… Germany with reduced income…

Figure out the rest.

• 5 transports?

no.

• I think that Germany needs to spend at least 2/3 of their IPC’s per turn on ground units.  If they don’t there will be a sort of gap in strength on the eastern front for one turn that the USSR can exploit.  Also there is no need to buy 5 transports.  You already start out with one.  If you buy 5 you’ll have 6 transports for a maximum of 10 inf built per turn.  1 transport won’t be able to do anything during that turn.  Most Germany players dont build 100% infantry every turn also.  So only 3 or so transports will be used per turn.  So I think at max only 2 transports should be bought for the baltic.

• I like the purchase of an AC and 8inf on G1. I move my German fleet to France on T2, and into the Med to hook up with germanys transport and BS on T3. My Japanese strategy supports this by concentrating on India, and passing at least part of the Japanese fleet through the suez canal to link with the German navy. Doing this will save the german player from needing to protect it’s southern flank fairly deep into the game. I buy 3 factories with Japan and pump out infantry early then armor later. It’s very important to take out India quickly.The allied player may make it diificult by building a factory, but if Japan really wants to be there they will be. My objective is to eventually move in force with Japan into kazak, and move in force with germany into w.russia. This strategy acts as an effective pincer move against Russia forcing them to choose between the Caucusses, and Moscow. Doing this requires smart logisical moves, heavy infantry builds with Germany, and Japan and enough armor to act as backbone. If you can effectively funnell the axis economy into these 2 locations I believe it will lead to the occupation of the Caucusses. When the axis is in firm control of this territory the tide turns quickly. I believe that the axis player can impose this srtaegy on the allied player. This will  likely cause the allied player to support Russia by funneling reinforcements from Brittain and America into Archangel or another northern territory. America is also a likely player in Africa and could reinforce Russia from the South if the German/Japan Navy falls in the Med or doesn’t have adequate forces to stop the chain going across N.Africa up into Trans Jordan.  I really believe Germany needs to be able to have freedom in either the North or South. I prefer to concede the Atlantic because I like the fact that Japan is in a better position to aid Germany if Germany has a presence in the Med. I’m assuming of course that the Allies don’t make a strong campaign in the Pacific theater. I don’t think it’s the best strategy for the allies so I won’t address that scenario. I like to apply the same principles against Russia that the allies use against Germany which is to concentrate all your forces against 1 opponett…in this case Russia. I believe that logisticlly it’s an easy strategy to apply. Don’t get sidetracked by buying sexy units. Go pretty heavy on infantry every turn.Try er out.

• Jetfan- your philosophy is sound. If Germany builds a Carrier + Infantry, and follows up with mostly Infantry from there on out, and Japan concentrates completely on Asia, Russia will be hard pressed.

I recently played a game against someone who did nearly this exact thing to me, and as late as turn 10 I had a looming choice to make as the allies regarding the Caucasus.

Unfortunately the rum/ginger ale combo had taken it’s toll and the game had to be postponed…

In that game I was both surprised and dismayed at how quickly Japan can go from having small forces to a stack of 30 Armor prepared to penetrate Russia. There is a price to be paid for focusing on Germany alone.

I have always been a strong advocate of lots of Infantry for Japan, but it now seems like Infantry early and Armor late is a good Japanese strategy.

The learning never ends…

• @88:

Jetfan- your philosophy is sound. If Germany builds a Carrier + Infantry, and follows up with mostly Infantry from there on out, and Japan concentrates completely on Asia, Russia will be hard pressed.

I recently played a game against someone who did nearly this exact thing to me, and as late as turn 10 I had a looming choice to make as the allies regarding the Caucasus.

Unfortunately the rum/ginger ale combo had taken it’s toll and the game had to be postponed…

In that game I was both surprised and dismayed at how quickly Japan can go from having small forces to a stack of 30 Armor prepared to penetrate Russia. There is a price to be paid for focusing on Germany alone.

I have always been a strong advocate of lots of Infantry for Japan, but it now seems like Infantry early and Armor late is a good Japanese strategy.

The learning never ends…

yeah, I made the mistake of not puting out enough infantry early with Japan against you, and it may have cost me. I also regret not getting part of my Jap fleet through the suez canal to hook up with Germany when I had the chance. If those 2 things had happenned I’d be in much better shape. Oh well…I think next time, I can do alot better with Japan. I’ll test this out on Steve and see what happens. Even with those critical errors I’m still in it against you. With a little tinkering with my strategy I’ll be in great shape next time. I’ll be up some time before June to finish the game.

• I like your attitude.

My mistake in that game was protecting the center a little too much with Britain. I should have built a few more trannies and forced Germany to stay at home. The game looked over to me after about turn 6 and I needed to not take for granted a victory.  I liked your carrier move- it forced me to deal with it, which meant less allied ground forces once I finished off your naval power. I was impressed, you dirty b$#*%rd.

The thing that sets you apart is your ability to have a plan and see it through ferociously. Woe to others when your experience matches your will to dominate.

• Right now all my expieience is coming from Xeno’s game, and the original MB game, but the principals are the same. Just need a little tinkering. I wish the Xeno game was still fun. I guess I’ll play you with the allies next time

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m